Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet2015

Rookie
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any movement people are hearing? Who is going to coach Warrnambool? Will anyone of the big money players stay at port fairy?

Portland once again look like they are struggling to attract recruits, so far they have announced they have resigned most of their current senior list, but only announced one signing a player from Westerns.
At the end of last season I had heard they had increased player payment to try and attract a few of the local players back to the club,and apparently had a few ex Portland lads playing SANFL in their sights, but so far nothing. Yet a few of the South West Portland based sides are announcing recruits left right and centre.

Portland once again look like they are struggling to attract recruits, so far they have announced they have resigned most of their current senior list, but only announced one signing a player from Westerns.
At the end of last season I had heard they had increased player payment to try and attract a few of the local players back to the club,and apparently had a few ex Portland lads playing SANFL in their sights, but so far nothing. Yet a few of the South West Portland based sides are announcing recruits left right and centre.
Hamilton's recruiting has been outstanding and Terang has been good so far. Hate to say this, I think Portland will finish on the bottom of the ladder. I do want to see them be competitive, as they are traditionally a great club. Port Fairy wont be spending as much next year, and I think some of their good players could be on the go. They did spend 200k or more on their players. Warrnambool tried Paul Chapman but he wanted 2 much. His body is a bit dodgy anyway but he was a AFL champion. Still no coach. North could lose Taggert due to job prospects. Rob Hare have left Port and going to Allansford. Souths have picked up Sam Kelly. Souths could lose couple of good reserves players. Couple more X players have been approached. Cobden has got Hinkley coming back. Lot of my news has been published in the Standard anyway. I really havnt hardly seen anyone and have not heard a real lot.

Last edited:

Hamilton's recruiting has been outstanding and Terang has been good so far. Hate to say this, I think Portland will finish on the bottom of the ladder. I do want to see them be competitive, as they are traditionally a great club. Port Fairy wont be spending as much next year, and I think some of their good players could be on the go. They did spend 200k or more on their players. Warrnambool tried Paul Chapman but he wanted 2 much. His body is a bit dodgy anyway but he was a AFL champion. Still no coach. North could lose Taggert due to job prospects. Rob Hare have left Port and going to Allansford. Souths have picked up Sam Kelly. Souths could lose couple of good reserves players. Couple more X players have been approached. Cobden has got Hinkley coming back. Lot of my news has been published in the Standard anyway. I really havnt hardly seen anyone and have not heard a real lot.
Have to agree with you there beachboy 3, Portland could well finish on the bottom unless they get their s**t together. Hamilton have done a fantastic job recruiting, be good to see them competitive. Guy Phelps has gone, I wonder how many more Port Fairy will lose.

Another Portland based south west side has announced its signed ex Collingwood player Leon Davis

I was talking to a guy who's good friends with someone connected to Portland. Portland is getting a few recruits from South Australia. Next year I think the Hampden League will rise in standard and will be more even. Warrnambool is a bit quiet in their recruiting so far. No matter what we are reporting I know it's still early days, and lot of things can happen between now and April.

I was talking to a guy who's good friends with someone connected to Portland. Portland is getting a few recruits from South Australia. Next year I think the Hampden League will rise in standard and will be more even. Warrnambool is a bit quiet in their recruiting so far. No matter what we are reporting I know it's still early days, and lot of things can happen between now and April.
I was talking to someone as well and it seems the Tigers have quite a few irons in the fire, just need to land one or two big recruits, they have jobs and houses to offer, so here's hoping something comes of it. As you said it's early days yet and anything could happen at any club.
Must admit I was a little disappointed to read port fairy will retain most of its list... that's just me being jealous of course ha ha

Port Fairy have picked up a gun midfielder from the GFL in Matt Pitt and also Mar Gattick from Souths and Rebels. Have lost Phelps, Hare and Rudolph.

Portland have finally announced a recruit. Tom sharp a local lad has returned after playing with Footscray in the VFL.

Portland have finally announced a recruit. Tom sharp a local lad has returned after playing with Footscray in the VFL.
Great news for Portland Tigers having Tom Sharp onboard. The latest signing of gutsy Ben Malcolm and utility Aaron Sheppard and also gun forward Jay Moody will help the Tigers to be competitive in the Hamden league. You can also pencil Luke Crane in as a big in after a season off. Portland’s young list has proven last year that they are excelling at senior level and will be exciting to watch them develop more in 2018. President Finna and his committee are putting extra ordinary efforts in on recruiting for 2018. Good luck Tigers 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge loss for Portland!! Nathan Haylock has signed with Westerns apparently
The tigers don’t want to lose a quality and mature player like Nathan. Another player moving to the southwest league. This won’t help the clubs rebuilding program for 2018.

Hi guys - I received an email from an old player:

Hi I played in the hampden football league in the sixties and seventies
Our league wore white Knicks at home and black away
Wondering what other leagues did this
Seems most teams and leagues it was black at home

Hi everyone! On this site as well as other comps in this West side of Ballarat, seems not much interest in posting local footy news. This feels outdated as most are into facebook or instagram. Back to the Hampden League now, looks like Koroit are above the comp and the rest is very even. No easy games! Portland and Camperdown were not rated highly early on, have been the suprise packets this year. Terang was highly rated have underperformed. Hamilton have been ordinary are recruiting so well. The teams that have lost all or nearly all games, have lost narrowly. Port Fairy and Camperdown are undefeated are just winning their games. Just shows how even this comp is. Open Grade netball is nearly even, but their is a big drop from 8th on the ladder and downwards. Koroit, Nth and Port Fairy r the best 3 then Cobden. In Wbool Dist, Nirranda, Old Collegians, Kool/Noorat, Timboon are my order this year for the flag and finals position. Sth Rovers are another suprise packet this year, but has had a soft draw so far. But they are playing very well. Cheers!

Hi everyone! On this site as well as other comps in this West side of Ballarat, seems not much interest in posting local footy news. This feels outdated as most are into facebook or instagram. Back to the Hampden League now, looks like Koroit are above the comp and the rest is very even. No easy games! Portland and Camperdown were not rated highly early on, have been the suprise packets this year. Terang was highly rated have underperformed. Hamilton have been ordinary are recruiting so well. The teams that have lost all or nearly all games, have lost narrowly. Port Fairy and Camperdown are undefeated are just winning their games. Just shows how even this comp is. Open Grade netball is nearly even, but their is a big drop from 8th on the ladder and downwards. Koroit, Nth and Port Fairy r the best 3 then Cobden. In Wbool Dist, Nirranda, Old Collegians, Kool/Noorat, Timboon are my order this year for the flag and finals position. Sth Rovers are another suprise packet this year, but has had a soft draw so far. But they are playing very well. Cheers!
How good is the evenness of the league this season, to me it's Koroit by a country mile, then Port Fairy and South and not far behind them are the rest, even Portland and hamilton. Results today back that up.

ok ok ok time to breath some life into this here forum. I have been quiet because I have been quite sick for a while. I had to undergo some surgery that required a fairly long stint in hospital and recovery. I’m still not 100% but I have been back to the footy and starting to get back into normal life again. I don’t have lots to input but I have some. I like that I left it in some capable hands to keep going but it’s been a desert since May. Let me give it some heavy rainfall....

I ll start of with some news I’ve heard.

South Warrnambool could be looking for a new coach. Speaking to my old mate Ash down there he has been told by one of the players fathers that current coach Matthew Buck is pulling the pin. Mystery surrounds why but the word is some angst between coach and others who think they know better is the reason. I have my balls on the line with this one because it’s only hear say but what better way to return with some controversial news. Time will tell on this one. Could be interesting times to come over there. (Not that I don’t enjoy that!) go blues!

Other things around the traps.
Adam Dowie coaching North Warrnambool next season is a great get by the Eagles. This bloke is perfect for their future. He’s great with kids, great teacher of the game and better still great with shaping culture. I wouldn’t hesitate to suggest that North could be a grand finalist next season. Recruitment looks busy already with them close to signing a couple of new players already.

What a season by Camperdown eh, Fabulous Phil Carse has assembled a team of hard nosed warriors. Fit, fast and slick! I’m going to stop short of saying they win it but they more than deserve to be in the big dance. Can’t wait for the big one! I’m tipping Koroit bounce back hard against the Port boys this weekend. Surely now there’s no more cheating points being handed out over there too while I’m on them. Enough is enough. Fair comp time. All equal points and only by special circumstance does any team ever get handed them again. My example being a team that can’t get off the bottom for a couple of years can then apply for extra points but that’s about it. If you can spend 200k on a player list you don’t need extra points.

Darren Ewing is a huge commodity being chased by every club in the district and beyond. The NT Thunder legend is coming home and been linked to of course my boys in blue Warrnambool, North Warrnambool and South Warrnambool. But also his home town Penshurst are doing their utmost to get the elusive forward to their club too.

Our main man at the Blues Matt O’Brien has been great for the club too! Has an awesome relationship with the playing group and has taking us back into the fray again playing finals. Although we whimpered against South we will be back strong next season. Probably had some not quite fit players play that final and will definitely look to have a strong off season and come back firing.

Maskell Tip - Dan Weymouth
Premiership - Koroit

I ll keep my ear to the ground for any movements! In the mean time I’ll stay HampdenMad.

North Warrnambool are set to sign Billy Smedts and Darcy Keast and are chasing hard after Sam McLachlan for a return although he may be heading overseas according to my source. Smedts played the season at Leopold in Geelong where there was major issues with player payments leaving many short of what was promised.
Don’t be surprised if Darren Ewing lands here too. The Dowie effect in full swing.

North Warrnambool are set to sign Billy Smedts and Darcy Keast and are chasing hard after Sam McLachlan for a return although he may be heading overseas according to my source. Smedts played the season at Leopold in Geelong where there was major issues with player payments leaving many short of what was promised.
Don’t be surprised if Darren Ewing lands here too. The Dowie effect in full swing.
HampdenMAD great to see you back. We missed all your news and best wishes to your health. First of all Bucky left for family reasons as the players and some committee had a meeting last night. Ignore any silly rumours. All very disappointed at the club but they are moving forward. My opinion is Danny Finn could be a contender, but whether he wants to apply for it, is another thing. Port Fairy have been trialling things out with their game plans and playing key players in other positions. That's why they were not performing. Other day they decided to go back to their origional game plan and put players back in their normal positions, now it paid dividends. Camperdown a massive suprise this year. Big upset other day, but stats show Koroit usually loses 2nd semi, then come back and win the flag. This year won't be any different. Koroit will win the Open grade netball premiership over Cobden. Their had been some big money floating around in netball 2.

HampdenMAD great to see you back. We missed all your news and best wishes to your health. First of all Bucky left for family reasons as the players and some committee had a meeting last night. Ignore any silly rumours. All very disappointed at the club but they are moving forward. My opinion is Danny Finn could be a contender, but whether he wants to apply for it, is another thing. Port Fairy have been trialling things out with their game plans and playing key players in other positions. That's why they were not performing. Other day they decided to go back to their origional game plan and put players back in their normal positions, now it paid dividends. Camperdown a massive suprise this year. Big upset other day, but stats show Koroit usually loses 2nd semi, then come back and win the flag. This year won't be any different. Koroit will win the Open grade netball premiership over Cobden. Their had been some big money floating around in netball 2.

Thanks Beachboy I appreciate that. Cheers.

I have spoken to a few that know well what has happened and even though Family reasons has been put forward to the paper and the official line there’s definitely other factors that led to Bucks decision.

Good win by Brett Harrington in today’s Maskell Medal very deserving winner and hugely regarded at Koroit!

Can’t see Koroit not holding the cup aloft come 5pm Saturday! As good as Camperdown have been recently and absolutely all the best to them in the endevour but I ll firmly take Koroit for the win.

Ben and Sam Dobson, M Darmody and James Gow will be back at Koroit next year. Could be 8 premierships in a row now. This won't be good for the comp with Koroit's future domination. What HampdenMad said about Norths recruiting is correct. Josh Saunders will be playing in the Geelong FL next year, as he lives/works down there. Levi Dare has got out of his business in Camperdown, i wouldnt be suprised if he plays footy else where next year. With Koroit's old brigade, there's only Goodal and Box left. It could be Goodal's last year this year, so Koroit are younger then people think they are. Box could be playing for 1 more year. Port Fairy's big guns are aging a bit themselves now.

Last edited:
Old Hampden Mad...welcome back and hope the health is on the improve!!

As always the mail you have is spot on.
  • Matt O'Briens' work at Blues ..well regraded..(they have been busy too on the phone...as they should)
  • Levi D linked to Russell's Creek..rumour only
  • Camperdown's form has been sensational and great for town and league
  • Port fought hard on Sat but conditions horrendous...not convinced it is a happy camp there though
  • Koroit rolling on- makes for a terrific GF as both teams play brave footy...weather looks ok too.
Beachboy I enjoy your contributions too mate but unequivocally, Matt Buck did not leave for family reasons...let's just call it as it is. He has had a guts full of a very small minority of past players who have blurred the lines between flying the flag for their child's selection and telling the coach in NO uncertain terms what they think of him and his team selections. I know this is not what South people want to hear but it is 100% the case. Sorry mate!

Straw...Camel...Back!!

Hi Caritas and thanks mate.

Yeah you couldn’t be more on the mark there about South and Buck. If that club wants to continue to roll through coaches for the same reasons in all age catergories then sustained success is a long way off. Too many know all’s standing on the hill each weekend.

I’m not sure who yet but there’s a port Fairy player heading off to coach Old Collegians next season, he’s rumoured to have 5-6 players heading there with him. Of what quality I’m not sure but maybe there’s a big crack opening there.

As per news today Chris Bant Of TM and Paddy Mahony of SW are coaching Panmure, so don’t be surprised to see a couple of defects from Hampden to that side in weeks to come.

Manny Sandow SW Ruckman is a whisper to have been offered a training run with a VFL club next season. Unsure of whether that’s fact or rumour yet but it’s a whisper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back