Instrumentals...

Remove this Banner Ad

I like instrumentals and, word is, they like me, too.

Bit of a post-rock fan and, consequently, I have a shitload of CD's by instrumental bands. Here's some acts culled from my own collection, that either exclusively or frequently go the sans-vocals route. Needless to say, I would readily endorse any of these bands to anyone with even a passing interest in instrumental rock.....

The Dirty Three
Mogwai
Laura
The Timeout Drawer
Tristeza
Godspeed You Black Emperor / A Silver Mt Zion
Pele
Gastr Del Sol
Jim O’Rourke
Silver Ray
Pelican
Sandro
This Is Your Captain Speaking
Billy Mahonie
Calla
International Karate
Pram
Friends Of Dean Martinez
Pivot
Bark Psychosis
Mono
Ativin
Dianogah
The Mercury Program
Laika
Tarentel
From Monument To Masses
Can
Slint
Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet
Tortoise
The Sea & Cake
Bell Orchestre
Stereolab
Explosions In The Sky
Kinski
The Rum Diary
Japancakes
Couch
Shrimp Boat
Papa M/David Pajo
Pell Mell
June Of ‘44
The Fcuking Champs
Sigur Ros
Rothko
Hood
This Will Destroy You
Logh
Samuel Jackson Five
Rodan
Ui
Man Or Astroman ?
Seefeel
M83
The Album Leaf
Minus The Bear
Macha
Fridge
The Tied & Tickled Trio
The Grails
Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia
Piano Magic
Yndi Halda
To Rococo Rot
Windsor For The Derby

And I'll get around to digging up some clips on youtube by a few of these bands.....

.....some time when it's not 4.30 in the morning.

Lidge teaches me to post a youtube clip and then my 'adobe flash player' plays up:eek:. FFS.

Anyhoo....

Jeff Beck plays a couple of brilliant instrumentals with a hot band (including Tal Wilkenfeld, a young Aussie girl on Fender bass) at the 2007 Crossroads festival. Stevie Wonder's 'Cause we've ended as lovers' (which is on youtube and the Concert DVD) and John Lennon's 'A day in the life' (which is only on youtube).

What Beck can do with a Fender Stratocaster (no electronic boxes/gadgets I'm told) and a tin of talc is amazing.

On the CD 'Power of Soul', a Hendrix tribute which has a really nice version of 'Red House' on it by Prince, there's a great 12.38 live instrumental by Stevie Ray Vaughan where he plays 'Little Wing' and rolls seamlessly into '3rd stone from the sun'.

Thanks, sherrinorburley:thumbsu:. I'll be checking him out in the "blues" section of the CD store next time I'm browsing.

From Wikipedia:

Earl Hooker (born January 15, 1929 in Clarksdale, Mississippi; died April 21, 1970 in Chicago, Illinois) was an American blues guitarist. Hooker was a Chicago slide guitarist in the same league as Elmore James, Hound Dog Taylor, and his mentor, Robert Nighthawk. Some Chicago blues guitarists even consider Hooker to have been the greatest slide player ever.[1]

Three very good reasons as to why the music of The Dirty Three is critically acclaimed across the globe, and why Warren Ellis is widely regarded as the premier violinist in the world of rock and roll......

The Dirty Three - "I Remember A Time When Once You Used To Love Me"

[youtube]ucoOU5cRlyA[/youtube]

The Dirty Three - "Hope"

[youtube]bkXixCj8DaQ[/youtube]

The Dirty Three - "Everything's Fcuked"

[youtube]Urm_5D8Q-qQ[/youtube]

After a fashion.

I'd take Jay Beckenstein and Spyro Gyra any day over;

But thats just me of course. :)

Sigh. Yes, Mark.

Clearly, when it comes to music, I have no idea.

Probably why I didn't get your band to play the Roosistence gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly, when it comes to music, I have no idea.
Taste is debatable. Having an idea is another matter. Of which I never said.
Probably why I didn't get your band to play the Roosistence gig.
It wasn't my band, I was a paid session player (in the end), but I thought I'd ask, given it was for the betterment of the club, and a freebie, (and their album launch apparently) which in the end I couldn't get them to do, which was probably just as well.. Sorry, but when it comes to music, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Doesn't mean we can't be friends though. :)

Well it does and it doesn't! The b'boom b'boom part of which you speak is very consistent but Peter Green's guitar takes us to places not many of us ever get to.

I thought of 'Albatross'. Haven't heard it for years and it is hard to remember the tune even though I know it and love it:confused:.

Good one, Groucho.

Well it does and it doesn't! The b'boom b'boom part of which you speak is very consistent but Peter Green's guitar takes us to places not many of us ever get to.
Peter Green's guitar took us all to odd place's. The man was manic depressive. :p

Gee you're making life a bit diificult. :p

It's like saying can you pick the notes that Cornelius Bumpus played on such and such.

There's a lot of bending notes and delay happening there so my advice is to just sit back and enjoy. :)

I thought of 'Albatross'. Haven't heard it for years and it is hard to remember the tune even though I know it and love it:confused:.

Good one, Groucho.

Yeah it's a beauty alright. Has a plaintive ethereal quality that never leaves you once heard. But you can't hum it for nuts!

Peter Green's guitar took us all to odd place's. The man was manic depressive. :p

Gee you're making life a bit diificult. :p

It's like saying can you pick the notes that Cornelius Bumpus played on such and such.

There's a lot of bending notes and delay happening there so my advice is to just sit back and enjoy. :)

Yeah fair enough. Like Cornelius,I'll just sit back and enjoy. But you can't hum it!

Yeah fair enough. Like Cornelius,I'll just sit back and enjoy. But you can't hum it!
Not too far back since poor old Cornelius has bitten the dust, so to speak, but I beg to differ.

Just listen to what he's doing and sing along with it.

I imagine you're talking about the part where he starts playng Hawaiian?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back