my top 16 in 08

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a tough marker VV, Suban's had an excellent championships and shapes as a late first rounder, excellent player.

Suban is a very consistent performer, and most of his disposals are quality. Late 1st round for me as well.

You're a tough marker VV, Suban's had an excellent championships and shapes as a late first rounder, excellent player.
What can I say? I'm not his biggest fan.

I think he's a solid 2nd round pick, but I just don't see the upside to warrant spending a 1st round pick on a guy like Suban - Certainly not a Top 5 pick.

Maybe if I'm Geelong, Hawthorn or the Bulldogs and I really feel like I need to get a midfielder/HBF that's capable of coming in and performing in his first year, I might think about it in the late 1st round, but to me, he's short, he's not a spectacular user and while his championships have been good, his play at TAC level has been underwhelming.

I don't really see what puts him signficantly ahead other small mids like Mitch Banner, Andrew Duhau, Sam Blease or Kyle Martin. I mean, obviously some of these guys are going to be drafted higher than others due to the fact that short rovers are never in very high demand, but I absolutely wouldn't draft Suban ahead of any out of Rich, Hartlett, Sidebottom, Hannebery, Heyne or Zaharakis. There's probably others from interstate that I'm missing, but obviously I'm more familiar with the Victorian boys.

These are my thoughts at the moment but a lot can change from now until draft day. As the ladder stands now, i'd say the first round would look something like this if Melbourne don't get Robbie Warnock,

Melbourne - Naitanui
WCE - Rich
Fremantle - Hartlett
Port - Watts
Essendon - Hurley
Richmond - McKernan
NM - Ziebell
Carlton - Yarran
St.Kilda - Heyne
Brisbane - Trengrove
Adelaide - Sidebottom
Collingwood - Walters
Sydney - Suban
Hawthorn - Lynch
WB - Cordy
Geelong - Zaharakis

If Melbourne get Robbie Warnock,

Melbourne - Watts
WCE - Naitanui
Fremantle - Rich
Port - Hurley
Essendon - Hartlett
the next 11 picks stay the same

These are my thoughts at the moment but a lot can change from now until draft day. As the ladder stands now, i'd say the first round would look something like this if Melbourne don't get Robbie Warnock,

Melbourne - Naitanui
WCE - Rich
Fremantle - Hartlett
Port - Watts
Essendon - Hurley
Richmond - McKernan
NM - Ziebell
Carlton - Yarran
St.Kilda - Heyne
Brisbane - Trengrove
Adelaide - Sidebottom
Collingwood - Walters
Sydney - Suban
Hawthorn - Lynch
WB - Cordy
Geelong - Zaharakis

Melbourne - Watts
WCE - Naitanui
Fremantle - Rich
Port - Hurley
Essendon - Hartlett
I like the look of that:thumbsu:
As a Freo supporter, I wouldnt think they would take Hartlett before Hurley and Watts, although if Melbourne dont get Watts he will probobly not nominate, hense Freo wouldn't take him. Still they would go Best available and Hurley would be their man.:) Hope we get rich or naita though while keeping warnock:D

Plus i would be stoked by the bottom end of the draft if thats how it went. That would mean their are some very good WA players left in De Boer, Swift, Hill, Jetta for PP and second round picks:thumbsu::D

Melbourne - Naitanui
WCE - Rich
Fremantle - Hartlett
Port - Watts
Essendon - Hurley
Richmond - McKernan
NM - Ziebell
Carlton - Yarran
St.Kilda - Heyne
Brisbane - Trengrove
Adelaide - Sidebottom
Collingwood - Walters
Sydney - Suban
Hawthorn - Lynch
WB - Cordy
Geelong - Zaharakis

Melbourne - Watts
WCE - Naitanui
Fremantle - Rich
Port - Hurley
Essendon - Hartlett

i believe Lisle will be in the mix as well as Roughhead 2 big kpp's. Roughhead has not put a foot wrong all year as has lisle. Both very strong big blokes.

tbh i dont think freo will get a priority, they will beat wce giving them 3 wins and i can see them winning at least 2 more

Priority picks now assessed over 2 seasons so how they go this year is not overly relevant unless they follow it up with another shocker next year.

1.melbourne - Watts
2.west coast - Natanui
3.Fremantle - Rich
4.Port Adelaide - Hurley
5. Essendon - Suban
6. Richmond - Yarran
7. North Melboure - McKernan
8. Carlton - Hatlett
9.St Kilda - Swift
10. Collingwood - sidebottom
11.brisbane - Trengrove
12.adealide -Ziebell
13.Sydney - Walters
14.Hawthorn - Cornelious
15.Western Bulldogs - Cordy
16.Geelong - De boer

watts number 1 because i think melbourne will warnock in trade week or PSD

edited because dont think de boear is a top 5 pick

Can't see the Pies passing on Ziebell if he's available. I'm also confident that we'll be having our first pick later than 10, time will tell!

Melbourne - Naitanui
WCE - Rich
Fremantle - Hartlett
Port - Watts
Essendon - Hurley
Richmond - McKernan
NM - Ziebell
Carlton - Yarran
St.Kilda - Heyne
Brisbane - Trengrove
Adelaide - Sidebottom
Collingwood - Walters
Sydney - Suban
Hawthorn - Lynch
WB - Cordy
Geelong - Zaharakis

Melbourne - Watts
WCE - Naitanui
Fremantle - Rich
Port - Hurley
Essendon - Hartlett

Who will bid for Cordy? Assuming that the order for the ruckmen is Nait, McKernan, Trengrove, Cordy, is he really that greater chance of attracting bids? In the top ten picks I can't see any club bidding for Ayce, Richmond would be a good fit but they would most likely opt for McKernan. After that, Brisbane would probably be more interested in Trengrove and Sydney I think are the only club which may be interested in Cordy but they too may just settle with Johnston or another KPF. What does everyone think?

Who will bid for Cordy? Assuming that the order for the ruckmen is Nait, McKernan, Trengrove, Cordy, is he really that greater chance of attracting bids? In the top ten picks I can't see any club bidding for Ayce, Richmond would be a good fit but they would most likely opt for McKernan. After that, Brisbane would probably be more interested in Trengrove and Sydney I think are the only club which may be interested in Cordy but they too may just settle with Johnston or another KPF. What does everyone think?
I can see Adelaide and Sydney putting in bids
Plus, I have Trengrove going to Nth Mel, leaving Brisbane to bid as well. I really hope someone bids for him.:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.melbourne - Watts
2.west coast - Natanui
3.Fremantle - Rich
4.Port Adelaide - Hurley
5. Essendon - Suban
6. Richmond - Yarran
7. North Melboure - McKernan
8. Carlton - Hatlett
9.St Kilda - Swift
10. Collingwood - sidebottom
11.brisbane - Trengrove
12.adealide -Ziebell
13.Sydney - Walters
14.Hawthorn - Cornelious
15.Western Bulldogs - Cordy
16.Geelong - De boer

watts number 1 because i think melbourne will warnock in trade week or PSD

edited because dont think de boear is a top 5 pick

wheres N.Heyne ??

wheres N.Heyne ??

Not good enough to be first round imo, and some of the people here agree with me as you have read. The quality in the first round is outstanding, and even though has got some handy attributes, there are some blokes that have a little edge over him, but I think he'll go in round 2 for sure though.

Not good enough to be first round imo, and some of the people here agree with me as you have read. The quality in the first round is outstanding, and even though has got some handy attributes, there are some blokes that have a little edge over him, but I think he'll go in round 2 for sure though.

I dont think a player who is a real chance to do well even win the Larke medal should be drafted at pick 20??

agree that this year has some fine talent and the top 20 picks will be nothing short of the best we have seen yet?? Is this another minny super draft the top 20/30 picks look as good as any other year.

I dont think a player who is a real chance to do well even win the Larke medal should be drafted at pick 20??

agree that this year has some fine talent and the top 20 picks will be nothing short of the best we have seen yet?? Is this another minny super draft the top 20/30 picks look as good as any other year.

I don't think he's good enough to win the Larke Medal. That's first off the bat.

I guess we'll find out in future years whether this is infact a super draft, but from watching and reading a fair few articles there seams to be heaps more pure footballers than in previous drafts. It could be a good thing or a bad thing, I reckon good, but looking at some of the talent even after the first five picks could be a lottery and they all in the first top 2 rounds have potential to eventually be the best from the draft.

I can see Adelaide and Sydney putting in bids
Plus, I have Trengrove going to Nth Mel, leaving Brisbane to bid as well. I really hope someone bids for him.:eek:

We'll see hey. Either way we win, we get two first round picks or we get a potential top 5-10 pick at 14-16. Sounds good to me.

Not good enough to be first round imo, and some of the people here agree with me as you have read.
People might agree, but that doesn't make them right.

I remember the predictions of guys like Grae Grant, Austin Lucy and Ruory Kirkby to go in the first round and it hasn't come true.

You have Nick Suban at #5 and Nick Heyne nowhere in the first round? If Suban goes higher than Heyne in the draft I will be stunned, but if Suban goes on to be a better football player I will work every night for one year as a gay prostitute in St Kilda.

Nick Heyne has star stamped right across his chest.

I'm going to come across as a Suban knocker, but I just think he's being overrated by many on here who are calling him a Top 5 pick. For mine, I can't see any reason that clubs would pick him ahead of Rich, Hartlett, Sidebottom, Hannebery or Walters, and that's just from the smallish midfielder group.

I still think he'd be an excellent pick even as early as the priorities in the 2nd round, but Top 5 just seems to be lunacy, IMO.

i think Hartlett will be pick 4 or 5 bombers or port.
I think Deboer is highly underated and a pick 8-10 has had a great carnival. I think suban is highly overrated and wont do well at AFL level he isnt quick or skillful by hearings. May have a good first few years but wont really improve too much after that. The best he could become is a R.Harvey type player if he has a big engine or tank.

Can't see the Pies passing on Ziebell if he's available. I'm also confident that we'll be having our first pick later than 10, time will tell!
Really?

I personally can't see us drafting Ziebell if he's available, even though I agree we'll be picking later than #10.

He's more likely to play as a floating half forward at AFL level, and we're pretty much all set for marking half forwards.

Even if we DID think that we could develop him into a midfielder, he's much too similar a prospect in that respect to John McCarthy, who is also a mid-sized HFF turned midfielder at the moment.

I think it's 185cm-or-below ball magnet for Collingwood this year. I know it will probably KILL Derek Hine to draft someone 6 foot or shorter, but at some stage we're going to have to pick someone up that can win the ball off the deck and feed it out to our ever growing fleet of long, lean runners. He'll at least be comforted by the drafting of Reed and Keefe, as he'll still get some athletic projects to work with.

People might agree, but that doesn't make them right.

I remember the predictions of guys like Grae Grant, Austin Lucy and Ruory Kirkby to go in the first round and it hasn't come true.

You have Nick Suban at #5 and Nick Heyne nowhere in the first round? If Suban goes higher than Heyne in the draft I will be stunned, but if Suban goes on to be a better football player I will work every night for one year as a gay prostitute in St Kilda.

Nick Heyne has star stamped right across his chest.

I'm going to come across as a Suban knocker, but I just think he's being overrated by many on here who are calling him a Top 5 pick. For mine, I can't see any reason that clubs would pick him ahead of Rich, Hartlett, Sidebottom, Hannebery or Walters, and that's just from the smallish midfielder group.

I still think he'd be an excellent pick even as early as the priorities in the 2nd round, but Top 5 just seems to be lunacy, IMO.

Bit harsh on Suban I reckon, but I get where you're coming from. I Haven't got him in the top 5 now, that was just a very rough guide. Still got him in the top 10, 9th but again, I bet I'll change that a few more times come when I post it.

I think Sidebottom & Hannabery won't be picked up before Suban, purely because Sidebottom isn't overly quick and his disposal skills aren't top notch. But he goes hard at it which is a plus.

I think suban is highly overrated and wont do well at AFL level he isnt quick or skillful by hearings. May have a good first few years but wont really improve too much after that. The best he could become is a R.Harvey type player if he has a big engine or tank.
The best he could do is win 2 Brownlows? Geez, he'll be devastated to hear that. ;)

I think Sidebottom & Hannabery won't be picked up before Suban, purely because Sidebottom isn't overly quick and his disposal skills aren't top notch. But he goes hard at it which is a plus.
He may not have Rich's raking left foot, but he hits a stack of targets. Never seems to waste the ball.

P.S. You might want to put an injury caveat on that Heyne/Suban bet, Vinnie! :D

i think Hartlett will be pick 4 or 5 bombers or port.
I think Deboer is highly underated and a pick 8-10 has had a great carnival. I think suban is highly overrated and wont do well at AFL level he isnt quick or skillful by hearings. May have a good first few years but wont really improve too much after that. The best he could become is a R.Harvey type player if he has a big engine or tank.
I'll agree on a Deboer is very good imo and worthy of an 5-10 .
Suban is different he is a bit smaller than a lot but is very skilled he's a great kick hard at the footy and makes great dicisions. Not sure if he is a top five but first rounder probably .
Hartlett is a star he will be anything and difinatly 4-5 he's good blistering pace and great skills for mine he's the biggest mover from the carnival.

Both Sidebottom and Hannebery are both quicker and better skilled than Suban for mine, so I don't quite get what you're getting at.

My problem with Suban is that he is neither exceptionally quick nor skilled, albeit smart and hard at it, and as I said, I don't think I'm being exceptionally harsh in suggesting that a sub-180cm player with average pace and footskills isn't going in the Top 10
P.S. You might want to put an injury caveat on that Heyne/Suban bet, Vinnie! :D
If he got injured, it wouldn't mean he wasn't the better player, just that he didn't have the better career.

This isn't like the Simpson/McEvoy bitchy debate from last year - Anyone who saw Nick Heyne kick 7 goals from a HFF/wing a couple of weeks ago, or his 6 goals against Sandy last year would realise that he has an extra gear and a potential level that Suban simply doesn't have, no matter how you rate the two prospects. So, unless you were positively sure that Heyne was going to be more Fiora than Burton, I can't see why you'd pass him up...

EDIT: Hmm... After reading over that, I think I'll have to count myself as #2 in Bourky's Heyne Train

Remove this Banner Ad

Back