Can the saints go the next level in 2009 with this 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

ShinSplints

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Victory,
Baker Max Blake
Dal Santo S.Fisher R.Clarke
Goddard Hayes Gram
X. Clarke Riewoldt Schnieder
Milne Koschitzke Jones

King Ball Montagna

Int: Gardiner, Eddy, Armitage, Maguire

From last years finals

INS: Maguire, Baker, Xavier, Ball

With the above 4 players coming back there is depth although Riewoldt is heavily relied on. Xavier is MUCH MUCH better than what the opinion of BF has him at. A lot of Ifs but wondering with these 22 fit and firing can the saints reach the cats and hawks???

IMO this is a better team than 2008 and I like to think Ross Lyon, Armitage, Jones, Eddy after a few years will be much better for it.

why is there two balls?? i think you will be a top 8 side easily but nothing near that of geelong, hawthorn or buldogs, you side has steadily declined since '04

I do not believe so

IMO the back 6 is suspect, I have great respect for Max and S Fisher however every week they are expected to punch above their weight against the classy tall forwards of the comp, over the season this will take it's toll.

In addition, I believe the Saints lack a bit of speed and carry in the midfield and their overal depth is questionable.....

The Saints are no certainties in my book and are in a pack with about 8 other sides

The Saints premiership window of opportunity has closed - they will probably make the 8, but will need to start rebuilding to win that elusive premiership.

Let's face it. The 09 team is NOT of the same calibre as the star studded 04 team, and the difference - Aaron Hamill.

To be honest i dont know how st kilda finished top four this year.

No where near geelong or hawks but will make the top 8.

A decent team but no they will not take it up a level, probably go down a notch to middle of the range methinks.

Baker Max Blake
Dal Santo S.Fisher R.Clarke
Goddard Hayes Gram
X. Clarke Riewoldt Schnieder
Milne Koschitzke Jones

King Ball Montagna

Int: Gardiner, Eddy, Armitage, Maguire

From last years finals

INS: Maguire, Baker, Xavier, Ball

With the above 4 players coming back there is depth although Riewoldt is heavily relied on. Xavier is MUCH MUCH better than what the opinion of BF has him at. A lot of Ifs but wondering with these 22 fit and firing can the saints reach the cats and hawks???

IMO this is a better team than 2008 and I like to think Ross Lyon, Armitage, Jones, Eddy after a few years will be much better for it.

Just add heart.

Yeah probably right.

Raph Clarke was awesome last 6 games bit harsh previous post. I guess im just hoping baker, maguire, Xav, bally can all be the difference, that and another pre season into armitage, eddy, jones, etc.

You always hope as a fan why else would we be fans.

But agree we are quite far behind that next level.

Definetly need more grunt, toughness!!

Goose and Baker would help that a little.

Ah well ... im proud we are at least in the next bracket still better than the majority i reckon. :thumbsu:

Ray would be in their 22.
I think they can make the 8 again.
Don't think top 4

Positives:
Reiwoldt's leadership and overall performance
AA Half Back and a FB that was pushing for selection
Goose comes back
Ball returns

Negatives:
How long is Goddard suspended for?
Is Michael Gardiner still up to it? - Who is Kings backup?
Kosi needs to kick more goals and share the load with Roo.

There are plenty more positives

I think that that 22 could do it, the problem is that they've had the 22 to do it for about 5 years.

Lyon looks like he's trying to turn some things around with his dropping of a few senior players, but he needs to demonstrate that he has some decent tactical ideas, rather than just ripping off Sydney's gameplan from 2005. Geelong and now the Hawks have shown that you win premierships by innovating tactically, and figuring out how to beat the top side, not by imitating them.

Everything has to go right.

Kosi would need to play like he teasers the supporters with everynow and again for majorityy of the season. Maguire would need to recapture form and hope his athletic ability has not been diminished from constant injuries. Ball would need a year without carrying significant injury (As with Hayes they are the engine room drivers)

Backup for King is questionable. Milne like others need consistancy.

Like all teams wanting to bridge the gaps, I think a lot has to go right. But my belief is all teams will be chasing Geelong this year, Including my own the Hawks. Geelong will be stung, like Essendon in 2000 from 1999 pelim. Hawks have key players having injury interrupted preseasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, criticism of St Kilda for being too Riewoldt-reliant is fair, informed, intelligent comment. In the 2nd half of last year we looked ordinary going forward only when we didn't have another marking target to compliment Riewoldt & Koschitzke, especially when Kosi was in the ruck or resting.

Questioning St Kilda because of their defence is unfair, uninformed, unintelligent comment. I would have thought after the career Max Hudghton has had we would have learnt he is not "punching above his weight", but is doing what he is, and always has, been capable of doing. While I can concede why many are still waiting to judge Raph Clarke favourably, Max has more than earned his stripes. St Kilda also has one of the best third-man up running defenders in the game in Sam Fisher, as well as the best defensive coach in Steve Silvagni. If you don't agree with that last point, you can welcome him back into commentary if you like.

At the end of last year there were TWO clearly superior teams, not three. Anyone from Carlton in tenth all the way up to the Doggies in third could have beaten another team from that group on their day.

I think St Kilda are capable of getting back to where they were (ladder position) last year, but getting ahead of Hawthorn and Geelong, especially at the MCG, will be very difficult.

Not at all.

Ball, Koschitzke, Maguire and X.Clarke are ruined by injury. Four players who were drafted to win the saints a premiership will most likely never be the same again. The saints have some good players(Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Hayes, Dal Santo, Hudghton and Goddard that should assure that the 8 in a certainty. However, too many have either just dropped off(Baker), retired (Harvey, Hamill, Jones, Gehrig) or as was said before, ruined by injuries to win a premiership anymore.

The list of young talent with guys like Armitige, McEvoy and Jones is noware near enough to salvage what was missed out on in 2004-05. And trades like Schnider, King, Dempster, Gardiner and Ray will not help either.

Basically, the saints premiership window is well and truly closed.

imo no. they had a majority of that 22 every week for the 4 years and they have only got 3 prelim finals to show for it. they have got good players on their list. if reiwoldt goes down for the season. i wouldnt want to be relying on someone like milne to kick your goals every week and their is still question marks over kossie and i would like to see him play in the ruck. they will play finals this year for sure

I say we have 2 major weaknesses and 1 is certainly not the backline, which is our strength.

1. Marking forwards, Riewoldt is mint, Kosi is not a natural forward and that's the sum total.

2. Midfield depth, 2 or 3 good players. Need Maguire, R Clarke etc to be able to hold down a defensive possie to free Fisher and Goddard to the middle.

Has anyone mentioned they just had one of the all time greats retire, and he was still getting the ball and setting up play?
I like the Saints and think they have a lot of Positives and some top footballers, and they should be right up there again this season.
But two things stand out for me on a Negative side.
1. As a team they just seem to lack killer instinct.
2. And is it just me, or do a lot of the same St Kilda players always seem to be injured, or limping, or wrapped up in a million dollars worth of bandages?

Just add heart.

Coming from a West Coast supporter whose team virtually gave up trying in games last year and got rolled by more than 100 points on several occasions.:rolleyes:

I'd be more concerned about adding some heart to your own team before you start worrying about ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back