AFL stars' secret perks as extra payments revealed

Remove this Banner Ad

"Upper echelon" within the article's parameters would put Judd around the 200K mark - Ablett most likely the same. That's approx 400K out of 2 mil gone, with another 1.6 mil to be spread among 112 other guys.

And if you take out the top 1/2 dozen or so of these blokes, charging at standard commercial rates for jobs like Riewoldt advertising suits, Barry Hall doing phone company campaigns, Daisy Thomas' Kid's Club at McDonald's, etc, you're getting a hundred or so guys bagging about $5,000 - $10,000 each, which is a very reasonable amount considering it includes private coaching clinics, sportsmen's nights and corporate speaking engagements, private functions, etc, etc.

But 200K to turn up to a couple of dinners, have someone else ghostwrite a couple of paragraphs in the Footy Record, and get your mug on a jigsaw is a joke.

Yeah, it's all guess work, but with some pretty simple maths and half a brain it's not exactly like working out the lotto numbers, is it?
Some very simple mathematics:D You don't get it do you, they're pulling figures out of thin air with no idea on actual amounts. Now i'm not denying Judd would be near or at the top of the tree but at least we know what he does for his extra cash. Besides Ablett and Judd what are the other "112" doing for theirs:confused:

Besides, it clearly states in the article that deals such as the Richmond one with Clinton CAsey and his property developments are not allowed under these extra payments. So please explain the situation of salary cap rorting at your club and why aren't the bloody AFL doing anything about it:mad:

IF theres going to be free agency then all these deals have to be banned.

Some teams cant afford to do it while others can. Some teams have sponsors that will do it others dont.

Some teans have presidents that own huge companies others dont.

But even now they are providing away for money to be passed through the back door to players.

Judd getting an extra 200K a year outside of cap leaves 200K room for someone else to be retained at Carlton.

Love the bias! I don't know about 112 of the "other" deals, but it is no secret Gary Ablett Jnr has been the face of Costa's property development projects on the Surf Coast for some time. From all accounts it is a booming business, so money well spent by Costa.

Yep, I hear surf coast property's pretty difficult to sell, so I'm sure having Jnr be "the face" is really helping the struggling property market down there!!

I don't know how the Hun can claim that this is a new story, it's just another in the long line of pre-season beat-ups that take place every year to keep the pages full until there's real stories. Move along, nothing to see here...

did you read the article? it says not every club is involved.

Also it says the sponsorships ranges from $10,000 to $200,000. Judd is on the upper echelon (150k-200k) so imo it compromises the salary cap.
In a way, it isn't any different to clubs using the veterans list to keep two of their star players and pay them outside the salary cap.

32.3 Treatment of Football Payments

Where a Player is included on a Club’s Veterans List, half of the Football Payments in respect of that Player shall be excluded from the Club’s Total Player Payments.

If Brad Johnson is a veteran, the half of his contract that isn't included in the cap, could have been used to help pay a Barry Hall or Jason Akermanis. I think Collingwood also have more cap space because they have two veterans (Lockyer and Prestigiacomo I think).

Brisbane might only include half of Brown's and Black's contracts in the salary cap.

Is that fair?

Since Carlton doesn't have any veterans, we get two extra rookies.

What are you on about? Vic Clubs??? The 2 biggest amounts paid over many years are from Non Vic clubs.

It almost started with West Coast and Satterly homes. They not only paid Judd a huge amount but also Malthouse and worsfold have interests in shopping centre developments as well. I wont go into detail but the anount Juss was getting in Perth outside the cap was more than $200K per year. A new decent block in a new subdivision its self is worth more than $300K and Juss got a few of these in his time.

Pavlich is the same, I won’t say what company but he is paid similar to what Judd was out side the cap.

You have to remember that the last 10 years in Perth some people have made a truck loads of money and have found it very easy to pay so much to buy a social/business accessory

Exactly right, the satterly homes and west coast connection has been going on for years but is rarely mentioned.

I think its time a lot of supporters took their head out of the sand and realised it's not only carlton and geelong doing these things it is the majority of the clubs.

Its just a shame they dont name all the players as it means judd and ablett cop all the heat.

AFL stars' secret perks as extra payments revealed

Well, well, well. Who would have thought that Judd would have been 1 of 114 players on deals outside of the cap:rolleyes:

Ablett having a deal with the president of his football club is an interesting revelation, seems the redneck proportion of football supporters need to suck up the Judd deal and just get on with it.

Pick the top players at just about every club and i'd just about put my house on the fact they'd all be on extra curricular deals outside the salary cap involving club sponsors, Presidents, coterie members etc.

Well done Swann for putting the buffoons on SEN in Smith and Bartlett on the straight and narrow, should also STFU the buffoon redneck supporters of other clubs who believe that somehow Carlton are rorting the salary cap.

Ultimately what it comes down to is are the deal commercial. If Costa ia paying Ablett $200k per annum to advertise properties - is he getting that return?

I like the AFL's position on this - they want to be kept informed - and they want to assess whether the deal is commerical or not - or just a sham. And this is where it should stay.

As an example - in WA - Michael Braun and Daniel Kerr were used in an add for an Optician. Assuming that optician isn't a sponsor of the club - there would be no issue. Why should it be any different if they were a sponsor - it's still just a commercial agreement.

The issue comes where sponsors pay less "sponsorship" to the club and pay more "Promotional" money to players. I think what the AFL are doing is fine - just assess each related party contract on it's merits.

There is no issue with Judd being paid the most - as you would think his profile is the highest - and therefore his image is worth the most. So in any role where image is important - he might get $200k - where Aaron Joseph might get $10,000 for the same thing. It isn't a rort - it's just reality.

was obviously taking the piss. :)

but in all serious how much would you expect a brand ambassador to take in?

Jennifer Hawkins entire career is based on representing brands and she makes millions.

You can't stop AFL players from having other jobs outside of playing football.
Yes you can.

Either be a full-time footballer or work in private industry. If the AFL had enough balls (or at least wanted to ensure a 100% even playing field,) then they could include this into the contracts that players sign.

I am not allowed to have another job. It was written into the contract I signed when I commenced employment.

I am not allowed to have another job. It was written into the contract I signed when I commenced employment.

Whilst i don't know your contract - most employee contracts say that you can't have another job for a competing business and any other employment must be approved.

In 99% of cases - as long as there is no infringement on your main contract - outside employment is approved. So it should be no different to AFL players.

Which is why players are resticted in their sponsorship of brands competing with their club's interests - i.e you won't see Naitanui being sponsored by McDonalds or RAC.

But to expect players to not have outside endorsement deals is folly. In fact I can't think of any sport that expects this of it's players.

The VISY role wasn't the reason Judd left WC - and i'm sure Collingwood could have rustled up a sponsorship deal with Emirates et al.

the upper echelon AFL players are celebs and have a profile.

People with a profile get asked to represent companies and brands. obviously companies go after people they have some association with in the first instance. this is hardly shocking, or indeed wrong.

every player can do it. i think it might be easier for the players in perth and adelaide to access this stuff. in the past it was sportsmens nights etc, now it's being the face of something.

and seriously Hawthorn and Collingwood supporters would be best not to cast too many stones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes you can.

Either be a full-time footballer or work in private industry. If the AFL had enough balls (or at least wanted to ensure a 100% even playing field,) then they could include this into the contracts that players sign.

Unless it was a competing business you weren't allowed to work for, this clause would collapse in an instant if ever examined in court.

Is there any mention of the Doncaster hotel promised to Judd by Pratt do go to Judd when he retires?

well we all know of at least 2...i don't know if Kennett is paying any of the Tassie players to be a spokesman for him ...do any of them talk enough crap to get the gig ?

So we have 2, not 114. I don't know that there's a lot of money to be made in Beyond Blue . . . given that it's a not for profit organisation and all.

So we have 2, not 114. I don't know that there's a lot of money to be made in Beyond Blue . . . given that it's a not for profit organisation and all.

I agree with you HodgePodge - New Rule: OK to take money from outside the salary cap as long as it's not from the club Presidents company.

Would that clear it up ?

This is the problem with throwing stones before making sure your own glass house is secure, it leaves you with nowhere to go. You either concede you were both doing it, gain respect but worry about losing face for the initial call, or soldier on regardless and insist that the real issue is how big the rocks where.

I agree with you HodgePodge - New Rule: OK to take money from outside the salary cap as long as it's not from the club Presidents company.

Would that clear it up ?

The issue is with related party agreements - whether it be sponsors, presidents, ceo's, life members or benefactors.

If it's a commercial agreement and the AFL agree it is commercial - where is the issue? Ricky Ponting is getting paid to advertise Suisse - why can't Ablett get paid to advertise homes?

If the gig is worth $200k - why wouldn't it be fair for him to earn that?

Costa may have the choice of Ablett, Ponting, Thorpe, Judd, J Heyne, Elsom? he'd have to pay any of them the same amount - so i don't see the issue.

Given something like 120+ have come across their desk - it would be fairly easy to see what is commercial and what isn't.

If Franklin, Judd, Riewoldt all get $200k for their relative deals and Ablett is getting $500k from Costa - then clearly there is going to be an onerous burden of proof on Geelong to prove how the deal is commercial.

However if ablett can then show that 2 other companies - unrelated to Geelong are paying him the same amount for his services - then clearly this is his market worth.

The difference between the Judd deal and the vast majority of the others is that Judd's was used as a carrot to get him to change clubs.

If the offer was made as part of signing on with Carlton, then it's him playing for Carlton that's the key determinate in having the contract.

i.e. he earns money from Visy to play football for Carlton

Trying to legitimise the deal with jigsaw puzzles is irrelevant - the fundamental reason he has the contract still remains that he plays football for Carlton. Therefore it shouldn't be allowed.

The same is true for some of these deals (would GA be used by Costa if he signed with GC?) but there are plenty that are genuine. If a clothing or boots sponsor uses a star player for promotional purposes it would count as a related party contract. If Nike sponsor a star player and he changes clubs, they are probably going to keep him on their books unless it breaches pre-existing club contracts.

Carlton supporters can point fingers all they like and come up with all the justifications in the world, but the Judd deal is essentially no different to what they did in the 90's.

The only difference now is that the AFL can't call them out on it because they do it too!

The difference between the Judd deal and the vast majority of the others is that Judd's was used as a carrot to get him to change clubs.

IMO - that is simply not true.

Judd didn't leave for more money irrespective of popular opinion - he could have got something very similar back here. WC would be able to manufacture the same commercial deals as anyone else.

It could have possibly been the carrot that made him choose Carlton - however i'm sure collingwood have enough commercial dealings to manufacture a deal - Eddie - could have got Judd (or his fiance) a media deal.

If the offer was made as part of signing on with Carlton, then it's him playing for Carlton that's the key determinate in having the contract.

Would Brett Lee get WeetBix sponsorship if he played for England?

Would Kieran Perkins get Uncle Toby's sponsorship if he was a US swimmer?

The club you play for is going to be a huge determining factor in which sponsorship you get. It simply wouldn't make sense for a Collingwood player to be an ambasador for Visy when the links between Carlton and Visy are so strong.

Similarly - if SGIO want a personality - they are going to choose an Eagle - as the relationship is stong.

If Lexus want an AFL player - they are going to choose an allied player from Collingwood.

Edit: do we now question the sponsorship of Malthouse and Buckley from the Victorian govt due to the Wipe Off 5 campaign? they sponsored Collingwood as well - why would they then go and get a Carlton player for their advertisements?

IMO - that is simply not true.

Judd didn't leave for more money irrespective of popular opinion - he could have got something very similar back here. WC would be able to manufacture the same commercial deals as anyone else.

It could have possibly been the carrot that made him choose Carlton - however i'm sure collingwood have enough commercial dealings to manufacture a deal - Eddie - could have got Judd (or his fiance) a media deal.

I maybe being a little generous but I think he chose the blues because we had the picks to swing a trade.

Some very simple mathematics:D You don't get it do you, they're pulling figures out of thin air with no idea on actual amounts. Now i'm not denying Judd would be near or at the top of the tree but at least we know what he does for his extra cash. Besides Ablett and Judd what are the other "112" doing for theirs:confused:

Besides, it clearly states in the article that deals such as the Richmond one with Clinton CAsey and his property developments are not allowed under these extra payments. So please explain the situation of salary cap rorting at your pissant club;) And why aren't the bloody AFL doing anything about it:mad:

Settle down Teaguey, one thing at a time.

You don't get it do you, they're pulling figures out of thin air with no idea on actual amounts.

The article you started this thread about states categorically "The AFL last night conceded 114 players were paid more than $2 million outside the league salary cap by club associates last season". That's not "no idea" - it's an exact number of players and a dollar amount rounded off by the Herald Sun.

Besides Ablett and Judd what are the other "112" doing for theirs:confused:

Well, I explained what the others are doing: ... if you take out the top 1/2 dozen or so of these blokes, charging at standard commercial rates for jobs like Riewoldt advertising suits, Barry Hall doing phone company campaigns, Daisy Thomas' Kid's Club at McDonald's, etc, you're getting a hundred or so guys bagging about $5,000 - $10,000 each, which is a very reasonable amount considering it includes private coaching clinics, sportsmen's nights and corporate speaking engagements, private functions, etc, etc.

it clearly states in the article that deals such as the Richmond one with Clinton CAsey and his property developments are not allowed under these extra payments. So please explain the situation of salary cap rorting at your pissant club;) And why aren't the bloody AFL doing anything about it?

The Richmond players didn't actually receive any money - in fact they gave money to Casey in "investment opportunities" that would have been akin to insider trading, except that the properties didn't actually appreciate much at all - hence why Ben Holland was taking Casey to court, to try and get the money that he didn't receive. Not really salary cap rorting if you didn't get anything, is it?

$2m by 114 players is roughly $17.5k per player. Given some players are at the maximum allowed then most of the other players are getting very minor amounts which isn't a problem.

Those big payments are attempts to use third party payments in lieu of club salary payments and that is wrong. They should simply require all payments over $10k to be arms-length transactions with a company that has no link whatsoever to the club at all.

If Judd can get whatever he is getting at a company that has no link to his football club then power to him. But, I doubt these players would get anything remotely close to what they are getting for what they are doing, which is pretty much **** all because their football requires a full time job hours of training every day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back