Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Post your stats questions here

What is the ruling on percentage if a team fails to score in the first round? Obviously this would never be a problem at higher level football, but at lower level it migh occur and would cause problems in calculating the winning side's percentage, as you can't divide by zero.

Is former Kangaroo and Saint Kristian Bardsley the only player to have played under two different names in the AFL/VFL? He initially played at North Melbourne under the name Kristian Anning.

What is the ruling on percentage if a team fails to score in the first round? Obviously this would never be a problem at higher level football, but at lower level it migh occur and would cause problems in calculating the winning side's percentage, as you can't divide by zero.

Is former Kangaroo and Saint Kristian Bardsley the only player to have played under two different names in the AFL/VFL? He initially played at North Melbourne under the name Kristian Anning.
Brian Harris/Brian Lake and Jarad Rooke/Max Rooke.

Hey, does anyone have a link to a site where I could find the disposal efficencies for Daniel hannebery from the Sydney Swans and Nick Naitanui from the West Coast Eagles?

Also average game time would be helpful to.

Thanks!

Brian Harris/Brian Lake and Jarad Rooke/Max Rooke.

Thanks - I didn't know these were the same players!

After posting this, I remembered Matthew Wheeler, a Swans player from the early 1990s who also played under the name Sanford Wheeler.

And technically, you could also include Gary Hocking, who in 1999 changed his name to "Whiskas" for one week as part of a cat food promotion in a game against Richmond.

In the early years of the VFL, a number of players participated under pseudonyms as their employers forbade them to play football. One example is Collingwood's Bill Proudfoot, who played under the name of Wilson in the 1903 GF.

There was an article in today's Age about the rise in frequency of tackles. It stated that the average number of tackles per team per game in 1999 was 25. That does seem ridiculously low. Around 6 a quarter? One every five minutes on the field? Surely not.

Can anyone direct me to the definition of a tackle when used for statistics (Champion Data, I assume)?

There was an article in today's Age about the rise in frequency of tackles. It stated that the average number of tackles per team per game in 1999 was 25. That does seem ridiculously low. Around 6 a quarter? One every five minutes on the field? Surely not.

Can anyone direct me to the definition of a tackle when used for statistics (Champion Data, I assume)?
Tackle definition: When a player stops an opposition player with possession of the ball from getting his kick or handball away in a legal manner, or reduced the effectiveness of the opposition's disaposal. The tackler's action must change the course of play.

^ There is a fair bit of ambiguity in terms of what is/isn't a tackle, so its more at the discretion of the staticians.

Today Geelong had 172 kicks and 164 handpasses.

When was the last time they had more kicks than handpasses before today? How many times have they done likewise since 2007? What is their win-loss record in those games?

Today Geelong had 172 kicks and 164 handpasses.

When was the last time they had more kicks than handpasses before today? How many times have they done likewise since 2007? What is their win-loss record in those games?

Last occasion: 2009 GF
2007 - current: more kicks 53-48-5, more handballs 27-20-7

Interesting that the trend changed early last year - they've had more handballs in 19 of the last 27; however they've had more kicks in eight of their nine finals, the exception being the 2008 GF loss.

Last occasion: 2009 GF
2007 - current: more kicks 53-48-5, more handballs 27-20-7

Interesting that the trend changed early last year - they've had more handballs in 19 of the last 27; however they've had more kicks in eight of their nine finals, the exception being the 2008 GF loss.
Yeah doesn't surprise me it changed early 2009-ish.

Do you have the win-loss stats for both scenarios over the past 27 matches?

Yeah doesn't surprise me it changed early 2009-ish.

Do you have the win-loss stats for both scenarios over the past 27 matches?

More kicks 8-7-1 (today)
More handballs 19-14-5

Prior to today, had won their previous 32 in which they'd had more kicks than handballs, the last loss being to Port in late 2007.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't quite sure where to post this question (here, or a new thread, or in the lists sub-forum) but ill do it anyway

With Collingwood looking good to at least make the preliminary finals, if not the granny, it got me thinking about Luke Ball - he could play in a GF two years in a row, but for different sides.

Can anyone think of players who have done this before? Steven King was close, a year apart from Geelong 07 --> StK 09 but i cant really think of any others. Not often players get shipped off after they compete in a GF

Wasn't quite sure where to post this question (here, or a new thread, or in the lists sub-forum) but ill do it anyway

With Collingwood looking good to at least make the preliminary finals, if not the granny, it got me thinking about Luke Ball - he could play in a GF two years in a row, but for different sides.

Can anyone think of players who have done this before? Steven King was close, a year apart from Geelong 07 --> StK 09 but i cant really think of any others. Not often players get shipped off after they compete in a GF

Good question. As far as I can tell, the only two players to do this are Bryan Wood (1982 Ri L, 1983 Es L) and the even luckier Jim Martin (1912 Es W, 1913 Fi W).

Scully's 39 possessions tonight. Is that a record for the most touches in a game by a player in his first season?

Ds Player . . . . . Cb Year Rd Op . Age
-----------------------------------------
41 McDermott, Chris Ad 1991 20 WC 27y273d
39 Bairstow, Mark . Ge 1987 17 NM 23y359d
39 McDermott, Chris Ad 1991 13 Ri 27y223d
39 Greig, Dean . . .St 1991 21 Ca 22y283d
39 Scully, Tom . . .Me 2010 .7 WB 18y357d
38 Williams, Greg . Ge 1984 .1 Fi 20y183d
38 Hall, Tony . . . Ha 1988 18 Es 23y318d
37 Jarman, Andrew . Ad 1991 .6 WB 25y104d
37 Jarman, Andrew . Ad 1991 13 Ri 25y152d
37 Hasleby, Paul . .Fr 2000 19 Ri 19y 34d
37 Broughton, Greg .Fr 2009 19 PA 22y314d

Where can i find stats on team winning ratio at each ground?

http://afl.allthestats.com

Select "Statistics" from the menu.

On this page select "Grounds" (under the heading "All Time".)

From the list that appears, click on the ground you want the stats on.
You can then choose year range etc.

Note: All The Stats has Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions as two separate entities whereas the AFL combines their records and stats.

Cheers,

RogersResults

http://afl.allthestats.com

Select "Statistics" from the menu.

On this page select "Grounds" (under the heading "All Time".)

From the list that appears, click on the ground you want the stats on.
You can then choose year range etc.

Note: All The Stats has Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions as two separate entities whereas the AFL combines their records and stats.

Cheers,

RogersResults
cheers mate

can someone explain to me the goal conceeded stat??

it was in today's heraldsun and am just trying to get out how it works in grey areas like when a player leaves his man to help another player but his player kicks a goal.

or when an overlap happens, who is on the end of the goal conceeded stat??

it also just seems weird that not even close to every goal has a corresponding goal conceeded stat. whilst there are times when there is no one to blame for the goal, i would still think 90% of goals can be accounted for yet glass is the only player above 20 for the year and there's only a handful above 10 which doesn't seem right.

I think every game this weekend is live on TV, be it FTA or Foxtel.

That's probably a rarity. Can anyone remember it happening before?

Hey guys, Lenny Hayes U18 statistics ?
Anyone able to find this data?
Cheers guys thanks :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back