VFL Sandringham Zebras 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Cahill must be pushing for selection wouldnt he now? Always seems to be in the goals.

For those who don't see many Zebs games, the way Jack played against the Hawks in Launny last year is the way he typically plays. Able to get his own ball, but is a real dasher who can kick goals on the run. If he stays injury free, he'll be a 100 game player for the Saints (if not 200). Dunno is he can be an X factor at AFL level in 2010, but would slot straight into the 22 if required tomorrow.

Dunno about PC. Found the going tough in the first half against a good opponent. Not this year for mine, but has improved a lot and will play some good VFL footy.

That's a great win by the Zebs. Most would have favoured Werribee going into the game easily.

Is that Brad Howard who kicked 3 goals?

For those who don't see many Zebs games, the way Jack played against the Hawks in Launny last year is the way he typically plays. Able to get his own ball, but is a real dasher who can kick goals on the run. If he stays injury free, he'll be a 100 game player for the Saints (if not 200). Dunno is he can be an X factor at AFL level in 2010, but would slot straight into the 22 if required tomorrow.

Dunno about PC. Found the going tough in the first half against a good opponent. Not this year for mine, but has improved a lot and will play some good VFL footy.

Agree re Cahill...needs to hold more marks and impose himself..

Pretty good win by the Zebs....Big Ben played a great game...against a guy with a Natanui type leap in Majak Daw...

Majak Daw provided quite a highlight in the last 1/4....got the ball burst out of the centre and banged the ball right between the 2 big sticks....only problem was that Werribee were kicking the other way!

I hope so:)

Obviously we've lost Roo for a long period of the season but if we can remain relatively injury free we'll have plenty of competition for spots in the Saints team. That's healty for St Kilda and only going to benefit the Zebras.

I remember there were times when we were aligned with the Scorpions that we only had 4-5 Saints players in the VFL side because of injury.

I'm just amazed he lasted to pick 42...

From memory, he was a bottom age pick (could have had another year of U/18 when drafted). The Saints thought he'd be a top 10 pick the next year.

Majak Daw provided quite a highlight in the last 1/4....got the ball burst out of the centre and banged the ball right between the 2 big sticks....only problem was that Werribee were kicking the other way!

:D bet the crowd loved that.

Daw is a freak talent, and every time Macca started to dominate in the middle they'd send in Daw to jump over him. I did like how Macca worked him out by the second quarter (Kingy has definitely done some work with Macca to stay on the ground rather than jump with a high leaping opposition ruckman, and try to protect the drop of the ball).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just a matter of time with Jack. He's fair decent talented.

I'm just amazed he lasted to pick 42...

I had it on good authority that if we didn't take him at 42 he would have been snapped up by Collingwood with their next pick.

If memory serves me, he was captain of the Geelong Falcons - always handy to have leadership skills coming through too.

I had it on good authority that if we didn't take him at 42 he would have been snapped up by Collingwood with their next pick.

You sure?

Given they have gone for Cox, Dick, Goldsack, Ball, Wood, Sidebottom, Josh Thomas (I think he goes by the name John), Jack Steven has absolutely no sexual connotations at all.

Their pick was much more appropriate - Tooling (all right, all right, it's Thoolen - Collingwooood obviously also thought it wasn't funny enough and delisted him).

You sure?

Given they have gone for Cox, Dick, Goldsack, Ball, Wood, Sidebottom, Josh Thomas (I think he goes by the name John), Jack Steven has absolutely no sexual connotations at all.

Their pick was much more appropriate - Tooling (all right, all right, it's Thoolen - Collingwooood obviously also thought it wasn't funny enough and delisted him).

I think people could chuckle at "Collingwood have got the Jackl"

Thanks for the reports.

However specifically how did Gaertner and Walsh go?

Walsh because he is just exciting and interesting see how he is going.

Gaertner because with Zac out of form another full back option is worth monitoring, especially after his early season form.

Right here and now of the players outside the 22 the ones I see as possible ins this year are:

* Steven. Looks to be "ready". Unfortunately for Steven he did his ankle at exactly the wrong time and is now in the queue behind Armo, Geary and Peake, as well as the more established Schneider and McQualter.
* Ben. Gardi and King are currently preferred, but injuries wil see him given more games (Gardo has on0going knee soreness I believe and so resting some weeks may be good for him). Steady improvement and he may pass King and particularly if he can make those marks up forward stick. Kin's ruckwork and 1 %ers currently give him the edge.
* Stanley. Still raw, but I expect the excitement machine to be given a taste at some stage while Roo is out.
* Gaertner is my smoky to tried at FB it if he continues to perform and if Zac continues to be out f sorts. Zac's second half as a key forward was his best football since 2009. However not many teams have 2 big forwards and so the Saints may consider dropping Zac and just using Blake there. If the Cat's current trial of three big forwards works against the better teams then another tall back may be required if Zac stays out of form. Johnno is a possible too, but we have seen little of his as yet.
* J Smith. If he gets back fit and match practiced he is too good not to get promoted.
* Dempster. Gwilt and Rraph may keep him out this year. Injuries may get him some games.

Eddy gets as peacial mention. He will play his guts out and be very good at VFL level, but unless we have a major injury run it is difficult to see him forcing his way back in.

Kosi is back this week and Roo in limbo.

The other Saints players I mainly see as being developed for future years.

A Smith could be a chance to take Peake's role, but will be a better proposition in 2011 once he has a few more kg of muscle.

Gaertner because with Zac out of form another full back option is worth monitoring, especially after his early season form.

A Smith could be a chance to take Peake's role, but will be a better proposition in 2011 once he has a few more kg of muscle.

Wool is a terrific athlete, and he can blow his opponent away despite being 199cm. Massive leap.

Whilst he doesn't tend to get done on the lead (a great strength for a full back), has been pinged a few times for putting his hand in an opponent's back when they prop (due to a bad kick, or just trying to win a free). Would be frustrating for him, as he's not actually pushing the opponent, but he'll need to learn how to use his hip and elbow (the umpires just pay the hands every time unless you're a top line player who gets a bit of slack).

When he gets the confidence that he's strong enough, or maybe he's just trying not to get too much into body-on-body contests given his main strengths, I've no doubt (assuming he keeps producing solid performances), the Saints should promote him onto the Senior List (although with Zac, Blake, Fish, Raph, Gwilt and Gilbo it may be an end of season thing).

Drago is an interesting one. Has so much to learn, like when the ball hit the behind post he threw the ball to a guy to kick in from the square (obviously thought it counts as a point). But I get the feeling he is learning quickly, and has the size, pace and depth of kicking. For mine, when he gets the hang of the game he'll be switched forward. But would think this will be after another half dozen games at least.

Dunno what to make of Ali S. Sometimes looks silky and a ball magnet, but can also drift out of games or struggle with his kicking. Probably need to watch him more closely for a few games.

Thanks for the reports.

Right here and now of the players outside the 22 the ones I see as possible ins this year are:

* Steven. Looks to be "ready". Unfortunately for Steven he did his ankle at exactly the wrong time and is now in the queue behind Armo, Geary and Peake, as well as the more established Schneider and McQualter.
* Ben. Gardi and King are currently preferred, but injuries wil see him given more games (Gardo has on0going knee soreness I believe and so resting some weeks may be good for him). Steady improvement and he may pass King and particularly if he can make those marks up forward stick. Kin's ruckwork and 1 %ers currently give him the edge.
* Stanley. Still raw, but I expect the excitement machine to be given a taste at some stage while Roo is out.
* Gaertner is my smoky to tried at FB it if he continues to perform and if Zac continues to be out f sorts. Zac's second half as a key forward was his best football since 2009. However not many teams have 2 big forwards and so the Saints may consider dropping Zac and just using Blake there. If the Cat's current trial of three big forwards works against the better teams then another tall back may be required if Zac stays out of form. Johnno is a possible too, but we have seen little of his as yet.
* J Smith. If he gets back fit and match practiced he is too good not to get promoted.
* Dempster. Gwilt and Rraph may keep him out this year. Injuries may get him some games.

Eddy gets as peacial mention. He will play his guts out and be very good at VFL level, but unless we have a major injury run it is difficult to see him forcing his way back in.

Kosi is back this week and Roo in limbo.

The other Saints players I mainly see as being developed for future years.

Walsh is a project that is in its early stages and forget him for this year but I have seen him improve weekly but is unfair on him to think this year in terms of playing at the Saints
Gaertner to me was a bit disappointing in the first half and looked lethargic but after half time was pleased to see him turn it around and was much better, speaking to him after the game he said he felt flat in the first half but felt better in the second.
To me the story of the day was McEvoy, before yesterday I didn't rate him and thought Stanley was a better option but Big Ben was fantastic and really showed what the Saints see in him.
Jack Steven was another who was very good and ready to step up when needed, to me he is ahead of Ali Smith, who needs a bit more time to build up his body. I think the Saints will need to make sure Ben and Jack are kept out of the hands of Gold Coast(noticed their recruiter there) as I think they would be playing AFL at most other clubs and they are great backups and depth for the mighty Saints

Williamstown vs. Sandringham
Saturday 24th April Burbank Oval at 2:00 PM
Round 3 Teams
http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10447-0-0&sID=56266&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=11888867&sectionID=56266
Seniors
B Howard Johnson Fisher
HB Gaertner Walsh Hunter
C Gallagher Hutchings Smith
HF K.Geary Pattison Bruno
F Heyne Lourey Tregear
R Stanley Magner Steven
Int Nash McEvoy Cahill Archer Fleming R.Eddy Irving

In: Stanley Archer Fleming
Out: Sautner (Suspended)

Williamstown vs. Sandringham (Reserve Grade)
Saturday 24th April Burbank Oval at 11:00 AM

Reserves
B Stapleton Gower S-Cameron
HB Shakallis Simpkin O'Sullivan
C Johnston Paterakis Andrews
HF Worner Cahill McConnell
F Cleeve Boland Barnes
R Jones Hardiman Ferraro
Int McBain Johnston Rowlands Murnane Archer Allan Cathcart Ambrose Fleming [/b]

I think that Cahill back to Reserve grade is simply a structural thing. It allows him to continue developing as CHF while Pattison gets some experience there in the Ones with a view to seeing how he goes and possibly bringing him in to Saints at some stage in the future.

Walsh is at CHB which is a good learning spot as you are generally facing the direction you want to kick it - which simplifies it somewhat for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back