Past Brendan Fevola (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brendan Fevola

...and the vast majority of the goals he's kicked have been "manufactured" by himself....... snap shots, grubbers from ridiculous angles, bicycle kicks, half volley pick ups and blind turns.

Just imagine how many he would kick if our onballers and midfielders could give him some decent service.

I think they stopped bothering to hit him on the lead when he:

Spilt 50% of the marks by having them seemingly just go straight through his hands.
Missed from 35 metres out with the set shots on the rest.

Well, it is one of the big strengths of Fev over Bradshaw. Fev has the ability to crumb goals and make the imposible, posible. When we learn to use the ball better and not try hit up our big forwards when it isn't on, they will end up better for it as they will get less attention.

Loved seeing the Fev go up the ground to get a touch last night, it was something he needed to do. Was very quiet in the first half, but Presti is a great defender, and in the first half we made life easy for Presti with crap delivery. No surprise Fev kicked goals in the 2nd half when we gave him some better chances.

Link

Daniel Bradshaw is a gun forward but can’t draw a crowd into the contest, or turn a match on its head, like the man who so controversially replaced him in the Brisbane roster.

Fevola’s heroics were in spite of a frosty first half where he had a solitary kick. That one went up, out and into the stands after he sliced it off the boot near the boundary line. It was an absolute shocker that nearly ended up bouncing down Vulture St.

It took until the 26th minute of the third quarter for Fevola to find the big posts on just his second kick of the night. A minute later, his second – an over-the-head blind shot that wouldn’t have been out of place in the FIFA World Cup – had the Lions starting to purr. Fevola bagged another two in the final term, one of them a sensational one-handed scoop and snap from 40m.

fevola.jpg

I still think his injury must be affecting him a lot. I can't remember too many times this year when Fev has been able to get any gap on his opponent on the lead. When he played for Carlton getting a 2 to 3m gap on most leads was 'trademark' Fev.

I still think his injury must be affecting him a lot. I can't remember too many times this year when Fev has been able to get any gap on his opponent on the lead. When he played for Carlton getting a 2 to 3m gap on most leads was 'trademark' Fev.

Certainly is having an impact on his marking ability. Defenders are spoiling the ball what seems to be to easy at the moment.

I think the delivery he is getting is the biggest problem. Fev is a funny type of forward, he isn't super strong or super quick, he is pretty quick in his first few steps for a big man, and he uses this along with holding his opponent opposite where the ball is being kicked and pushes off them with one hand to get that initial 2m of separation. If the ball is delivered to his advantaged and in the right spot he will run onto it and mark it no problems, but he has been getting a lot of balls that are either floaters, giving the defender a look in, or they are too high or too short. Im sure what ever injury he has is limiting him a bit, but i think its the supply which is the biggest problem.

I did hear on NIRS after the game someone say he had a couple of injuries, he is having trouble with his heel, as well as a stomach injury like Browny and was carrying another little niggle as well.

I think with the split round not far off, and our medicos basically saying the injuries won't get worse by playing, we are just trying to make the week off and that will probably help the 2 big men get right back into it.

he is not getting the greatest of kicks to him, i am a carlton supporter and a fev fan. i have noticed that he does not get a lot passed to him. he is also a player that needs to be not stuck in the goal square. anywho. still the leading goalkicker in a very hard situation. go fevy.

Play of the Day - Round 10 vs Collingwood

courtesy of lions_den

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpVocsZGuqc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpVocsZGuqc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Goal of the Year Nomination

Fevola was nominated for his amazing one-hand, one-foot manoevere in the dying stages of the third term of Saturday night's clash with Collingwood at the Gabba.

Brendan Fevola says Brisbane Lions still have top-four ambitions

BRENDAN Fevola says he is not motivated by the chance of a third Coleman Medal and has revealed Brisbane's top-four ambitions are still firmly held, despite their 5-5 season start.

Despite having to play with heel and groin injuries of varying severity this year, Fevola's 34 goals puts the dual Coleman medallist two behind the competition's leading goalkicker, Matthew Pavlich, of Fremantle.

"I have two of them so I don't need another one of them," he said.

"I want a premiership.

"My main objective - and that of the 44 other blokes on our list - is to win a premiership. We'll be aiming to get the top four and, hopefully, a Gabba final. You don't play footy for Brownlows, or Norm Smiths, or Colemans ... you play for premierships."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flukey Fevola feeling fitter
3:58 PM Wed 02 June, 2010

Lions full-forward Brendan Fevola believes his minor injury niggles are almost behind him after returning to the training track last week. “I’m starting to get back to full fitness,” Fevola said. “I started training last week and did a bit of skill work for the first time in about three or four weeks.”

Most recently Fevola has been entertaining Lions fans with some of the more amazing goals seen this year. “I actually don’t (practice them),” Fevola laughed. “It might be the Italian in me or something. I actually haven’t done much goal-kicking training for the past couple of weeks. The one on the weekend was a bit of a fluke I think.”

fevola.jpg

Can football still tolerate the uncanny men?
GARRY LYON
June 5, 2010

To witness Fevola burst out of the goal square last Saturday night against the Pies, at a critical stage, gather the ball brilliantly at half-forward in one hand, nestle it against his shin bone, arc it on to his right boot and snap a 40-metre goal, without breaking stride, was to see a breathtaking display of his prodigious talent — not to mention the confidence and self-belief he has in that ability.

I reckon 98 per cent of those watching that play unfold would have been mesmerised and enthralled. I watched it with a former AFL coach who sits fairly and squarely in the remaining 2 per cent. "Typical" was his blunt assessment. "First thought was himself, did a U-turn with no thought for the two teammates who were working to the right position. Should have given it off."

fevola83.jpg

Link

Fevola was baited by Pies fans over his public admission to a chronic betting addiction. And he almost dared Roos supporters to do it.

"Pies fans were chucking a few $50 notes at me. I was quite prepared to take them off them," Fevola laughed.

"I like it when the supporters from the other cheer squad give it to me.

"Hopefully they can keep giving it to me and hopefully I can keep playing well."

fevola42.jpg

I’m sure if I searched this thread I’d find similar sentiments – IMO Fev epitomises the thought… there are some players of individual and team sports that you just don’t sledge, it raises the bar to a ‘F-U I’ll show you’ mentality… that only a few gifted individuals can actually respond with mouth ajar, jaw dropping, OMG did you see that responses.

This ability can quieten a crowd at an away game and lift the roof at home – it is the greatest 19th man of any team, anywhere. I have heard that Adelaide have actually ‘retired’ the #19 jumper specifically because it is considered to be owned by the supporters. [It’s ok Charmo we’re not copy cats:D]

Love ya work Fev. :thumbsu:

I’m sure if I searched this thread I’d find similar sentiments – IMO Fev epitomises the thought… there are some players of individual and team sports that you just don’t sledge, it raises the bar to a ‘F-U I’ll show you’ mentality… that only a few gifted individuals can actually respond with mouth ajar, jaw dropping, OMG did you see that responses.

I think this is well and truly backed up by the fact that Carlton made a point of not getting stuck in to Fev the couple of times he has played against them.

Garry Lyon said:
I watched it with a former AFL coach who sits fairly and squarely in the remaining 2 per cent. "Typical" was his blunt assessment. "First thought was himself, did a U-turn with no thought for the two teammates who were working to the right position. Should have given it off."
Any guesses on who that former coach was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back