Past Brendan Fevola (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brendan Fevola

If we can start hitting up targets inside 50 we will chalk up some wins. These need to be other targets besides Fev though. If we can get other players involved up forward, that will bring Fev into the game.

If we can start hitting up targets inside 50 we will chalk up some wins. These need to be other targets besides Fev though. If we can get other players involved up forward, that will bring Fev into the game.

Yep. We only had 10 marks inside 50 on sunday compared to WB's 30, which was an equal season high, and the highest ever by the bulldogs IIRC.

ooo 200th game!! they should rest him so he is fit and firing and he can play it against his old mob. A good rest to both our power forwards and we can really piss off carlton in a few weeks after the split round!
clark and cornelius in our forward line this week....

Link

In the lead-up to Brendan Fevola's 200th game on Saturday night, Voss said he was happy with how his full-forward was travelling and he stood by the decision to bring him to the club. He said Fevola was increasing his workload after not training for more than a month.

"He's very close to 100 per cent. He's a very infectiious character so we do need him up and about."

He said the forward line would take a different shape without skipper Jonathan Brown, who is being rested for up to a month to allow him to get over a groin injury.

ooo 200th game!! they should rest him so he is fit and firing and he can play it against his old mob. A good rest to both our power forwards and we can really piss off carlton in a few weeks after the split round!
clark and cornelius in our forward line this week....

Or we could just keep playing him half fit until he becomes totally useless then requires 4 weeks off

Fev was clearly poor on Sunday, but he was nowhere near the only one that was absolutely shocking. Hopefully his 200th is his best :thumbsu:

Link

The second-year coach was critical of his charges for being too Fevola-focused on Sunday, saying they must look for other avenues to goal in the following weeks."For us it's about being able to know that we can use other options going forward, and a few popped up during the week."
"But we need more, and we've got to use them, they're there - it's just that at the moment we're just not seeing them."
"Whether that's the pressure, or the fact we're being seduced by Fev himself, I'm not 100 percent sure but we've got the options in-between."
"We're just bypassing them, and so we are making it particularly easy for the opposition's defence to bottle up our back half."

Jonathan Brown out as Brendan Fevola falters

• Scott Gullan
  • June 14, 2010 12:00AM
Voss refused to comment on another below-par performance from Brendan Fevola, with his body language again an issue during a forgettable afternoon where he kicked two goals from just five kicks. "I thought a lot of players didn't play well and I don't think it would be fair to single him out," he said.
"I thought collectively we were all quite poor and I don't think to single one player out for special mention would be worthwhile."

fevola6.jpg

Jonathan Brown out as Brendan Fevola falters

• Scott Gullan
  • June 14, 2010 12:00AM

Fev got totally shitfull delivery...again.

The only decent kick to him all arvo (as far as I'm concerned), was when the "Ranga Kid" Banfield put one out in front of him on the lead in the last quarter...which he duly marked and slotted for a goal.

Is it really that had to kick a ball to the advantage of a leading forward?

If an 18 year old rookie can do it, why can't one or more of our more accomplished on-ballers do the same?

The Dogs didn't seem to have to much trouble kicking it to space for Hall to run into.

Is Fevola a good footballer, a very good footballer or a great footballer?

Scott Cummings: Very good player. ''Undeniably a team player and he never gets credit for that. When his teammates kick a great goal no one is more excited than Fev. People don't pay attention to that. He's a terrific team player.''

Dennis Cometti: Above average player. ''His best is very good.'' His worst? ''Unacceptable.”

Bruce McAvaney: Very good player. ''We just haven't seen enough of him in September which you'd love to. I reckon he can kick the Milney goals and the other big boys can't do that. He can kick the grubber goal and he can kick the one down low, the one around the corner, so as a full-forward he's more versatile than many I've seen.''

Mike Sheahan: Above average player. ''Certainly not a great, occasionally very good, often good, and too often terrible. He's been a conundrum since the day he kicked 12 goals in the New Year's Eve game, and nothing has changed.'''

Matthew Richardson: Great player. ''He's harshly judged. He's kicked 39 goals this year, and will probably finish with 70 to 80 and in modern times when people don't kick a 100 that's very good. He's done that for a long time and I don't know why people judge him harshly. People don't know how hard it is to kick 70 to 80 goals a year for 10 years.''

fevola56.jpg

See also comments from Anthony Koutoufides, David Schwarz, Tony Shaw, Billy Brownless, Shane Crawford, Stan Alves, Rex Hunt and Jason Dunstall.

I'm in a good place says Brendan Fevola
  • Mark Robinson
  • June 16, 2010 12:00AM
The gambling and drinking is on the way to being under control, he said, but it's the family separation that he confronts daily. "Obviously it's hard with her being down there and obviously not having the kids is pretty tough because I do love them very much," he said.

"I've got a few niggles, but I am slowly getting better which is good. I made a massive improvement today because for the first time in five or six weeks I've been able to run two days after a game."

His injury, thought to be a groin, restricted him on Sunday, as did a plan to play deep to off-set the Bulldogs backmen cutting of his lead. "I knew I didn't play at the level I should have and it's fair to say I will be leading a bit more," he said. "Alex had her say, she knows a bit about footy, and she told me I had to lead at the footy. She should be a coach. She said pretty much what the coach said."

fevola32.jpg

As per Richo's comment, he is incredibly harshly judged. 40 goals in half a season and the muppets are saying he has been crap :confused: OK he could have done some things better, he could have got more involved, he could do a lot of things differently. But he is on his way to another 70+ season, which as Richo says is not easy to do year after year. He is doing that while still laying on assists for the team and most of the time applying some forward defensive pressure. I don't honestly believe we could ask a lot more from a full forward, in the context of the team performances this year.

And you've gotta love his enthusiasm and seeing him get excited when the team kicks a goal. Go the Fev!

Yeah, there isn't a lot more he could do, and that fact that he has done what he has with the dreadful ball he has got makes it even better. He has scored a lot of crumbing goals because the ball is never put in a spot for him to mark it. In the first few rounds when we were playing well both big guys were getting huge amounts of shots on goal. This has dropped off due to the play around the rest of the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brendan Fevola yearns for coin toss against friend Chris Newman

• Mark Robinson
  • June 17, 2010 12:00AM
BRENDAN Fevola, who plays his 200th game on Saturday night at the Gabba, has asked to toss the coin with Chris Newman.

The pair grew up as neighbours at Narre Warren and have remained best friends.
"We grew up together, we've both played at AFL clubs, he's the captain, and to be able to stand in the middle with him and toss the coin would be great."

"It would be special for our parents - his parents are flying up for it, as well."

Fevola said his earliest football memory was kicking a ball with Newman and Newman's older brother Shane outside their houses.

302234-brendan-fevola.jpg

Fev sees long future after 200
By Scott Beveridge
4:14 PM Thu 17 June, 2010

“I’m 29, in my peak,” Fevola said. “Two more years after this and then hopefully play till I’m 33, 34 so hopefully I can play another hundred or so games. As long as I keep my pace and look after my body I think I can play for a lot longer than what my contract is at the moment.”

Fevola said kicking a goal with his left foot was one notable challenge he hoped to accomplish before his career finished, and named Geelong full-back Matthew Scarlett as his toughest opponent. “He has called me his bunny a couple of times,” Fevola said. “He said it’s like taking out the garbage bin, that’s how easy it is to play on me”

fevolai.jpg

Link

Fevola supported St Kilda while growing up and nominated Tony Lockett as his childhood idol."I was fortunate enough as a young kid to witness Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett, Carey and all those blokes doing their thing at the same time," he said.
"I used to sell pizza out at Waverley Park when I was a kid, so I used to get in there and sell all the pizza before the seniors started."
"I'd sit down, watch those blokes and sneak into the rooms just to watch what they did."
"That was a real highlight when I was a kid, I always wanted to do that, and now I'm fortunate enough that I get an opportunity to do that."

fevola62.jpg

Fevola reaches mighty milestone
4:12 PM Thu 17 June, 2010

“Obviously playing my first game was a big thrill,” Fevola told SEN radio in Melbourne. “I remember conking down in my car on the way to the MCG from Narre Warren. Luckily enough, mum came and picked me up. I ended up being late to the ground and David Parkin wasn’t too rapt with that,” he said.

“I came in as a pimply-faced 17 year-old that weighed around 87kg. Now I’m out to 103kg,” Fevola said. “My skin folds are currently the lowest they have ever been. But I think the white shorts make my butt look a little bit big. I’ve got to keep away from those white shorts.”

He will also get the chance to toss the coin alongside Richmond Captain Chris Newman who was coincidentally the best man at Fevola’s wedding. “It will be a great honour to toss the coin - I’ve never done it before,” Fevola said.

fevola30.jpg

Link

When quizzed on the performance of his spearhead Brendan Fevola, Voss bristled and said all players should be wary of their place in the team.

In his 200th game the former Carlton full-forward had a nightmare, kicking just one goal and failing to have an influence.

“I’d like to single it out but that would be unfair,” Voss said.

“I don’t believe in giving reasons or excuses for performances like that. I’d consider dropping anyone that doesn’t get to the standards we expect - no-one is immune in our system. To single him out is clearly unfair though.”

Link

Fevola was quiet, booting just one goal in the third quarter that came about after a fortunate free kick. He also used the ball poorly, and worst of all was often guilty of poor body language. The ex-Carlton spearhead led hard at times but alarmingly seemed genuinely disinterested for much of the contest.

This was no more apparent then at the end of the second quarter when an animated melee broke out between the two clubs. Runners were involved, players streamed off the bench to join the fracas which continued for a good amount of time after the siren but amongst the 43 players flying the flag, Fevola was nowhere to be seen.

Could the article in CM about Fev at the S.O.O the other night, being in very close conversation with some lovely young thing have caused a fracas with Mrs Fev, if she got wind of it?..

I was starting to get all warm and fuzzy towards Fev....until last week, now this...

Someones body language and demeanor can have a huge effect on team moral...I work with one such person and it is very trying to say the least..

Supposedly he has an injury, but that is no excuse for having a "don't care" attitude..

I seriously am starting to want him gone, and after seeing young Cornelius last night, put him in the forward line instead..

Could the article in CM about Fev at the S.O.O the other night, being in very close conversation with some lovely young thing have caused a fracas with Mrs Fev, if she got wind of it?..

I was starting to get all warm and fuzzy towards Fev....until last week, now this...

Someones body language and demeanor can have a huge effect on team moral...I work with one such person and it is very trying to say the least..

Supposedly he has an injury, but that is no excuse for having a "don't care" attitude..

I seriously am starting to want him gone, and after seeing young Cornelius last night, put him in the forward line instead..

Well put, MacMum. Never been quite sure about him, but after the last 2 weeks, well. If it were not Carlton next, I would say drop him.

Just wants to stand in 1 spot, take 1 handed marks & try to kick world cup miracle goals. The only time he got on his bike last night & led up to the wing we kicked a goal from the space he created. With no Browny he had to stand up & lead the forward line. Did not. Not possible in his character.

Give me A-corn any day. Or Staker. Both have their flaws, but at least give an honest 100% effort.

That was as bad a display from a player with talent I have seen since .. ( can't remember ). Could have won the game with just a minimal amout of application. Don't get it - is it no Brown, no Fev ?

We're in the Capper Conundrum - do we drop him ? What's the point ? Has to be done for the sake of his team mates.

Well put, MacMum. Never been quite sure about him, but after the last 2 weeks, well. If it were not Carlton next, I would say drop him.

Just wants to stand in 1 spot, take 1 handed marks & try to kick world cup miracle goals. The only time he got on his bike last night & led up to the wing we kicked a goal from the space he created. With no Browny he had to stand up & lead the forward line. Did not. Not possible in his character.

Give me A-corn any day. Or Staker. Both have their flaws, but at least give an honest 100% effort.

Playing against his old side should not just give him walk up start....If his performance is not up to standard it and he's playing injured...then he should be dropped..Brown was dropped at 90% fitness.....Maybe that's what he needs..Cant have rules for some and rules for others.....Time to look at the long term injuries and elevate some rookies.....

That was as bad a display from a player with talent I have seen since .. ( can't remember ). Could have won the game with just a minimal amout of application. Don't get it - is it no Brown, no Fev ?

We're in the Capper Conundrum - do we drop him ? What's the point ? Has to be done for the sake of his team mates.

I've been trying to scrounge around my memory for a worse game from a mature and talented player. Just about everything he touched (as rare as those touches were) turned to dung. Nothing springs to mind. Anyone?

Fev is taking the piss. He is as fat as a pig, he is not providing a genuine contest, he has been playing for himself (i.e. going for arsey kicks of the ground, etc... instead of providing multiple strong leads regardless of whether the ball is getting kicked to him or not), and he has been cheating (i.e. not chasing or ducking behind his opponent in the hope of a cheap goal to the detriment of the team).

His attitude reminds me of the old days when vic players came up to Brisbane/Carrara and used the club as their retirement plan.

Drop Fat Fev and let him play seconds until he gets to a fitness level and attitude required of a professional footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back