Past Brendan Fevola (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brendan Fevola

These smug Carlton people keep coming on here about fev and saying 'enjoy the ride' etc, so far we are. Media has tried very hard so far to get dirt, and a fabricated storyand a noise complaint is all they have to go by. Personally I haven't mind some of the game winning performances he has put in so far, has been very entertaining to watch, it's just a pity he isn't at full fitness.

Just on the ride, I recall the famous Grandma quote from "Fatherhood".

Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]
Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.

Put me on the roller coaster.....er actually we are on it!

Just on the ride, I recall the famous Grandma quote from "Fatherhood".

Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]
Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.

Put me on the roller coaster.....er actually we are on it!

"I happen to think that your grandmother is a brilliant woman!"

Great movie.

Agree with the analogy too. It's quite a ride, I've felt a little queasy at times but still don't want to get off.

Club statement on player rumours
5:34 PM Thu 01 July, 2010

The Brisbane Lions AFC is extremely disappointed in the unsubstantiated rumours currently circulating sporting media and football circles surrounding a players BBQ event.

The Club advises that the allegations are completely false and hopes the matter can now be put to rest.

The Brisbane Lions are expected to receive a boost in their bid to beat St Kilda next week with Voss flagging the likely return of Fevola from a minor groin tear suffered in their last match against Richmond.

Link

Luke Darcy

Fev is giving the Lions an almost identical package to the one he gave the Blues, both on and off the field. Plenty of goals - 42 after 14 rounds - and some of the best individual highlights of the year. But like at Carlton, his body language and team-pressure efforts have, at times, been woeful. On this, Vossy has seen fit to publicly express his displeasure on more than one occasion.

Fev has always been popular with his teammates. It’s very hard not to like him. But when someone is such a strong centre of influence within a playing group, you need that person to set the best example. Not many AFL players can approach life in the same way that Fev does and still perform at the same standard. It is not uncommon for Fev to check his phone at half time and fire off a few text messages. He is absolutely unique.

fevola100.jpg

Twitter

Hey everyone vote for Alex on Dancing with the stars. Just text Alex to 191 777. She was amazing!

Good luck to the boys tonite. Wish I was out there with them! Go lions

Just sitting in dietician meeting with peita ... She thinks I am going well with my food intake :) so I am not so fat after all lol

Wonder if the dietician knows about the Golden Gaytime ;)

Brendan Fevola needs to shape up quickly
  • Shane Crawford
  • July 04, 2010 12:00AM
I've watched Fev's past two matches closely - one live and the other on TV - and it hasn't been a good look. His body language has been as bad as I've seen it, and that's not good when you are trying to make your way at a new club.

Fev's trade to the Brisbane Lions looked like it was paying dividends for him, and for Michael Voss, early in the season. He was kicking goals and playing with a team-first attitude. But, to me, Fev has gone into survival mode, or "me mode", and he needs to get back to doing the team things he was doing at the start of the season.

When players approach their 30s, they need to be doing everything right. They need to be examples to the rest of the group, not causing disruptions.

fevola97.jpg

Was forward coach for the reserves today. Seemed to be communicating very easily and effectively in the role.

Unfortunately the ball rarely found its way into our forward line, so the boys had very little opportunity to test his advice.

v78cwp.jpg

Robert Craddock

Whether Fevola was worth the effort remains very doubtful. Several generations of players had worked hard to give the Lions a classy – if not flawless – reputation off the field, but Fevola has been stalked by unsavoury headlines all season.

Last week there was an email sent around accusing him of being in a punch-up at a barbecue. Apparently it was totally false, but this is the price you pay for having a bad reputation – no one ever makes up stuff like that about players like Black or Power, and even if they did, no one would believe it.

It must just kill super-competitive Voss, who chased every ball as if it was a winning lotto ticket suddenly blown from his grasp by the breeze, to see Fevola sometimes chasing, sometimes not.

fevola89.jpg

Well, well, less than 24hrs after I write a post on the Lovett thread using these very same words...classy, unsavoury, bad reputation...up pops the above article...

Veeery interesting!:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Black also said the publicity Fevola attracted reminded him of former teammate Jason Akermanis's last days at the club in 2006, where he lurched from one controversy to another. But Black insisted it was not causing problems for the playing group.
"Not really, it is an issue for Fev that doesn't really affect the rest of the guys," he said.
"It was similar to when Aker was here, there'd be an issue going around but it didn't really affect the group."

black19.jpg

Sports tonight & Benny Cousins is the lead story, so who do they show footage of taking caffiene tablets b4 a game -Fevo. Talk about spotlighted. Was in a Lions jumper too. New footage.

Link

PLAYER TO WATCH

He still has to prove his fitness after missing last week with a groin injury but that is not the only thing Brendan Fevola has to prove. His body language and form in the game against Richmond were below par and the Lions need a big input from him if they are to challenge St Kilda. Fevola struggled against the Saints in his Carlton days but that was mainly because the retired Max Hudghton was his direct opponent.

fevola100.jpg

Watching these classy idiots hanging over the fence, obviously screaming abuse at Fevola demonstrates the restraint a pro footballer has to exercise on the field, when similar abuse off the field would more than likely bring an immediate and direct response.

Actually, I recall an incident at North Hobart oval in the late 60's when a Demons player actually did vault the fence and respond in a up close and personal way to something he took offence to.

What brings this all to mind is the type of very personal crap being handed out by one Morningside supporter on Sunday. Put it this way, I'd bet there's no way this dick would have dared to say some of this stuff to Broc, etc to their face.

Brisbane Lions forward Brendan Fevola ready to roar against St Kilda at the Gabba
  • Andrew Hamilton and Valkerie Baynes
  • July 07, 2010 6:18PM
Fevola missed last week's loss to Carlton with a groin injury but has produced his best training in over two months this week which has convinced the match committee he is ready to return to action. His running capacity in particular is at levels not seen since the early weeks of the season and all he needs to do now to earn a recall is get through today's group session.

An old heel injury flared a month into the season, requiring pain-killing injections, and then he suffered an abdominal strain. It is understood the groin injury that kept him out of the Carlton game was related to the on-going abdominal issue.

fevola103.jpg

Link

It has also been alleged he (Dan Collins) was highly critical of star forward Brendan Fevola and told offficials from rival clubs he had been dropped from the side to play Carlton, not left out due to a groin injury which was the official club line. Fevola's management had heard reports of Collins' comments but would not comment to The Courier-Mail. However, it is understood they have sought a meeting with Voss.

fevola41.jpg

Link

Voss said the full forward was training well, though his match form was harder to pick after he managed just one goal and seven disposals against Richmond in round 13.

“I’m not convinced he is in form; he hasn’t played since (the Richmond game),” Voss said.

“He has trained really well, he is up and flying, and he’s had a really good week on the track.”

Link

Brisbane full forward Brendan Fevola brought his best and worst form to the game, kicking four goals despite dropping three regulation chest marks, hitting the post from 15m and putting another hurried kick out on the full.

fevola103j.jpg

Link

Fevola also said he would head to Launceston with full confidence in his body after getting through unscathed. "Resting last week was good, I hadn't played in 20 or so days and I've really been working hard on getting my groin right. I didn't feel it all out there so that's a positive," he said. "You just take confidence out of going into matches at 100 percent knowing that your body is right."

Fevola is one of several Lions who voiced their belief the effort against the Saints was a season-turning point. "We've got seven weeks left and hopefully we can win all of them. We weren't too far off (against the Saints)," he said.

fevola104.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back