Past Brendan Fevola (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brendan Fevola

Can't believe I like Fev so much. Last year I hated him.
Man is a freak, kept us in the game.wasnt his fault we lost.
Like I posted in the match thread, he is doing everything you could ask of a full forward and generally doing it well.

Fev is a funny type of forward, he isn't super strong or super quick,

:confused:

That's exactly what Fev is. When fit he'd be one of the fastest burst players in the competition. Was fastest (perhaps second to Hampson) player over 20 metres at Carlton. Unfortunately he's struggled at times with his leading when he's had niggles, as he's had at present.

What he's added to his game over the last couple of years in particular is his ability to kick the freakish goal. There'd be very few forwards of any size more dangerous than him at ground level, never mind he's 192cm and 100kg.

Got the majority of goals from marks last night, which was a great sign, and his kicking was laser like. This bloke will kick a lot of goals for us if we can kick the ball to him half decent. It's not like we need to hit him lace out either, just to his advantage is good enough, instead of 50/50 or over his head or to the defenders advantage like most the deliveries are.

One kick that comes to mind is Rich's kick. Wasn't pin point, was just to the correct side and Fev can do the rest in the contest. Kicks that are too short and half volley, or are to high so he has to stop and wait, or are to the wrong side are not good for the team.

Link

Ace full forward Brendan Fevola was found guilty of a grade-one striking charge against Daniel Pratt but can escape suspension with an early guilty plea.

Complete rubbish is what that is. Can the AFL seriously pull it's head in. Pratt is one of the biggest w***ers going around, and he should have been charged for acting like an Italian soccer player.

The AFL are clearly gunning for Fev... they mysteriously had him missing from the goalkicking chart on the website earlier in the year, had him removed from our advertising, ignore him in their "Team of the Week" and Goal of the Week all the time despite amazing efforts and now the MRP ping him for the softest bit of niggle that happens 100 times a game.

Link

Fevola was charged with a Level One striking offence against North Melbourne defender Daniel Pratt during the third quarter of last Saturday night's match against the Kangaroos.

The incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of four activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level One offence, drawing 80 demerit points and a reprimand.

With no existing good or bad record, Fevola took an early plea which reduced the sanction by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 60 points towards his future record.

There's clearly one set of rules for the "bad boys" and another set for the "squeaky cleans"

I guess we can be thankful that it was Simon Black that gave Nicholls a spray the other night.

If it had been someone with Fev's "reputation" it probably would have attracted a much harsher penalty along with a blow up in the media and a lot of tut-tutting and lecturing from AFL House.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL are clearly gunning for Fev... they mysteriously had him missing from the goalkicking chart on the website earlier in the year, had him removed from our advertising, ignore him in their "Team of the Week" and Goal of the Week all the time despite amazing efforts and now the MRP ping him for the softest bit of niggle that happens 100 times a game.
I was going to post yesterday that on the AFL site in the goalkicking charts, they have Pavlich ahead of Fev, even though Fev has kicked more points (39.23 vs 39.21). Minor thing maybe but the question is: what rules define this?

I'm not liking Fev's reluctance to lead up at the ball carrier lately, he is trying to turn his opponent and sneak behind to get a shot at goal far too often. This might be a good occasional tactic to mix things up, but it is only working one in every 5 or 6 attempts and is hurting the team.

I'm not liking Fev's reluctance to lead up at the ball carrier lately, he is trying to turn his opponent and sneak behind to get a shot at goal far too often. This might be a good occasional tactic to mix things up, but it is only working one in every 5 or 6 attempts and is hurting the team.

It looked like he was doing that because there was nowhere for him to lead to. With Brown out, Lake was able to occupy his leading space.

Morris was playing well in front of him so that often seemed to be the best option. The delivery to him needed to be better.

Link

Full-forward Brendan Fevola is set to play his 200th AFL match this Saturday night when the Lions face Richmond at the Gabba.

Fevola was recruited by Carlton with Pick No.38 overall in the 1998 AFL National Draft and went on to play 187 senior matches and boot 575 goals in 11 seasons with the club.

He is a two-time AFL Coleman Medallist (2006, 2009), three-time All-Australian (2006, 2008, 2009) and was the Blues' leading goal-kicker for seven straight seasons from 2003-2009. Fevola has also been awarded the 2005 Michael Tuck Medal as best afield in Carlton's pre-season premiership triumph of that year and the 2008 Allen Aylett Medal as best afield in the AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match.

fevola64.jpg

Absolutely spot on:thumbsu:

To make the space over the back work you need to start moving and dummy leading early, the best way to get the ball in the space over the back is to get up the ground and work back. Fev doesn't have the work rate off the ball for this ever to be successful for him.

It looked like he was doing that because there was nowhere for him to lead to. With Brown out, Lake was able to occupy his leading space.

Morris was playing well in front of him so that often seemed to be the best option. The delivery to him needed to be better.

Agree with both but remember Fev made his name as a quick leading FF in a team where there were close to no other genuine KPF's. He should of been able to on at least one or two occasions been able to find space in front to lead and mark. This is taking nothing away from Morris either, because he was excellent. Fev was simply asking too much of the mids delivering him the ball, and it was frustrating everyone involved.

This wasn't the first week he has done this either - I think he kicked a couple of 'over the back' goals against Adelaide too.

Agree with both but remember Fev made his name as a quick leading FF in a team where there were close to no other genuine KPF's.

He did, but i assume with niggling injuries he doesn't have that speed in the first few steps that he uses to get space on his opponent. However, even if he did the delivery to him would probably make him stop and wait, letting the defender catch up and make the spoil anyway

He should of been able to on at least one or two occasions been able to find space in front to lead and mark. This is taking nothing away from Morris either, because he was excellent. Fev was simply asking too much of the mids delivering him the ball, and it was frustrating everyone involved.

This is just rubbish. Whilst Fev could probably work harder, the rest of the team are making his life 3 times as hard as it should be. Fev asking too much of the mids, please. Is it too much to ask a professional footballer to be able to hit a target?

If i was Fev i wouldn't have had the confidence in the mids to thread a pass through both Lake and Morris either. Over the back was the only way he was getting close to a one on one contest. It's a pity we don't have a team that can kick to the advantage of the elite forwards we have.

He did, but i assume with niggling injuries he doesn't have that speed in the first few steps that he uses to get space on his opponent. However, even if he did the delivery to him would probably make him stop and wait, letting the defender catch up and make the spoil anyway

The kick to space must be exercised more IMO, especially while Brown is out.

This is just rubbish. Whilst Fev could probably work harder, the rest of the team are making his life 3 times as hard as it should be. Fev asking too much of the mids, please. Is it too much to ask a professional footballer to be able to hit a target?

Watch the replay. Fev was literally running to about 30 from goal and propping, waiting for the ball to clear the pack. The defenders were reading him like a book. If it isn't too much for him to ask the mids to deliver the ball, then conversly, it shouldn't be too much for the mids to ask him to lead with conviction, to the right areas.

If i was Fev i wouldn't have had the confidence in the mids to thread a pass through both Lake and Morris either. Over the back was the only way he was getting close to a one on one contest. It's a pity we don't have a team that can kick to the advantage of the elite forwards we have.

Exactly, so why ask them to thread a pass over a loose defender on his head, when that is the easiest spot for his direct opponent to affect a spoil? How many times did the pack collapse on him, or players converge on him while he was standing still or turning? He made life far too easy for the defenders. Better to lead up at the ball, crunch the defender and make a spillage, than to allow Morris and co to provide effective rebound out of our back half.

Having said that, we need to use/find other options in our forward line. Plain and simple.

Watching the game live at the ground I was disappointed a number of times on Sunday when Fev refused to lead to the ball, despite him being one on one with his opponent. In fact I have been pretty disappointed by Fev in this regard all year. I hope it is injury related because he just appears incredibly bloody lazy at times.

On a large number of occasions he was trying to get players to kick 60m+ over the top of his opponent.

That said, we are also an incredibly frustrating team when it comes to delivery into the forward line. Especially when extra players are dropping back, like the Bulldogs did a number of times.

I would like to see us use Mitch Clark as a forward in place of Brown to take the heat off Fevola. We only did it in patches against the Bulldogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back