18 A, Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

It is unreasonable and stupid to think how some teams will get smashed in the A's and teams that would be atleast competitive in the As smash teams in the B's
Wheres the logic
Why mention Werribee they are already in the ammos. Players are already being lost to the comp with Point Cook and Willy having seniors in the ammos. In a long term view the comp will be better off. Short term pain for long term gain. If players want to play A grade go play A grade and if the want to play B grade let them go. The comp will balance out in the next few years. Better revenue for all clubs in the WRFL by having all 3 sides at the same ground and better for seconds footy so if they are short players can double up without having to travel all over the place. It's logicical for this to happen and should have been done years ago. My diagnosis is 2 cups of concrete and ring somebody who cares because its better for the league as a whole. If players want to play senior WRFL footy go to a club which has seniors or don't it's up to the individual.[/quote]

Unfortunately, short term pain can often lead to long term pain as well. Balanced competition doesn't just happen. Careful planning is involved and this decision smells of 'let's see and hope it works' attitude. Two cups of concrete is not going to help the sides out of their depth and I'm pretty sure the young blokes out there will care. Better for the league as a whole? You talking about revenue through the canteens? Topping up reserves teams with 18's is hardly ideal. Not addressing the reasons why the reserves are short. Players hopping clubs from B to A and vice versa can't be a good thing, can it? So a strong side in the B's loses it's top players to an A grade club and perhaps never gets them back? Yep, that will help. A grade side getting smashed loses some quality to a B grade club, yep that'll help. Let's hope loyalty rules over development.
To ensure the best chance of football development, 18's has to be graded, not manipulated.

Great post Justin.. undortunaltey some of these young fellas aren't looking at the bigger picture, and finally the league is doing what the Senior Clubs want.. not what the junior clubs want. This is a really good step in the right direction and like Secure said it may take a few years and there will always be a strong team and a not so strong team, but this is life.. It gives club a chance now to work out wether they want to step it up into the A Grade which means planing for the future.. The sustainability of clubs is what is important... so for short term loss there will be long term gains.
Again great post Justin.. sounds like you are really putting in the hard yards down at the magpies, keep persisiting it will all fall into place.

Thanks for the kind words SuperSaturdays... We all need to look at the bigger picture and at the end of the day, the better/talented players will be picked up by the Western Jets be it from A or B grade and will have there opportunity to shine from there. Some kids (more so on the other side of the Yarra) will play for their private schools first over TAC cup or try and combine the two and their club comes 3rd in line, so not an issue on a player by player basis...

My juniors were played at Moonee Valley and I can tell you in 1993 when we won the the B Grade under 18's premiership vs Westmeadows, both of our sides would have been top 3 or 4 A Grade that season, did we care? No, we won our flag we beat our opposition and our senior clubs were not well enough established to be in A Grade as simple as that... (18 years later and whilst Moonee Valley made it to A Grade for a few years, it was unsustainable and they are now down the bottom end of B Grade and Westmeadows have been there ever since but last year made some significant steps forward into a top 3 finish in B grade).

At the time all had our opportunity to play at Calder/Western Jets (then known as Central and Western Jets for my/our zones) or the now defunct VFA under 19 competition... So A or B Grade, 1st or 2nd division... let's just keep pushing our club's to improve their own image, their vision and their sustainability and as a league, make it continue to grow and emerge as a well respected and quality competition. What we need is oppostion teams to play against so keep the rivalry but have the respect for one another that if we all work together, we can all achieve a better competition and attract better players, keep our own local talent and all in all make for a better standard and brand of football and look long-term! If your club has the structure and hard-workers to make it all happen and maybe get rid of a few self driven ego's along the way, your club will be in 1st Division with a host of teams from Auskick to under 10's, 12's, 14's, 16's, 18's, reserves and seniors and if not then the same in 2nd Division because if you don't have this in the next 3-5 years you club may not last much longer...

Thanks for the pat on the back with Laverton, we have come along so far in my time with the club and I am really proud of the club, the committee and the players for all that they have done so far and to see them emerge and develop into where we are now and it has taken a lot of time and effort but that is what it is all about and why I love my role and what I can give back to the players and the club and wider community... Go Lavo in 2011!

Thanks for the kind words SuperSaturdays... We all need to look at the bigger picture and at the end of the day, the better/talented players will be picked up by the Western Jets be it from A or B grade and will have there opportunity to shine from there. Some kids (more so on the other side of the Yarra) will play for their private schools first over TAC cup or try and combine the two and their club comes 3rd in line, so not an issue on a player by player basis...

My juniors were played at Moonee Valley and I can tell you in 1993 when we won the the B Grade under 18's premiership vs Westmeadows, both of our sides would have been top 3 or 4 A Grade that season, did we care? No, we won our flag we beat our opposition and our senior clubs were not well enough established to be in A Grade as simple as that... (18 years later and whilst Moonee Valley made it to A Grade for a few years, it was unsustainable and they are now down the bottom end of B Grade and Westmeadows have been there ever since but last year made some significant steps forward into a top 3 finish in B grade).

At the time all had our opportunity to play at Calder/Western Jets (then known as Central and Western Jets for my/our zones) or the now defunct VFA under 19 competition... So A or B Grade, 1st or 2nd division... let's just keep pushing our club's to improve their own image, their vision and their sustainability and as a league, make it continue to grow and emerge as a well respected and quality competition. What we need is oppostion teams to play against so keep the rivalry but have the respect for one another that if we all work together, we can all achieve a better competition and attract better players, keep our own local talent and all in all make for a better standard and brand of football and look long-term! If your club has the structure and hard-workers to make it all happen and maybe get rid of a few self driven ego's along the way, your club will be in 1st Division with a host of teams from Auskick to under 10's, 12's, 14's, 16's, 18's, reserves and seniors and if not then the same in 2nd Division because if you don't have this in the next 3-5 years you club may not last much longer...

Thanks for the pat on the back with Laverton, we have come along so far in my time with the club and I am really proud of the club, the committee and the players for all that they have done so far and to see them emerge and develop into where we are now and it has taken a lot of time and effort but that is what it is all about and why I love my role and what I can give back to the players and the club and wider community... Go Lavo in 2011!

The WRFL shot themselves in the foot with this plan. Any chance of retaining williamstown and/or point cook in the under 18s comp is now gone, and along with that goes a large pool of the local footy talent... And what did they think was going to happen? Willy, a proven a-grade side, would be willing to play in the b-grade? Thats just laughable. As for your arguments about the strength of a club depending on the people around the club, this is true to a certain extent. BUT, the over-riding factor when it comes to local footy success is money. How can lowely teams like braybrook and north sunshine expect to EVER match it with clubs like spotswood, who year-in year-out buy themselves a star player (jason cloke for example)..? The WRFL is a shambles, congrats to willy and possibly point cook for doing their kids a favour and saving them from playing in the pathetic excuse for a competition that is the WRFL.

Mate Sunshine will be hopeless , the comp will be competing between altona
Spotty and hoppers but Albion and st albans Wil make the top 3 sides work as well

Mate Sunshine will be hopeless , the comp will be competing between altona
Spotty and hoppers but Albion and st albans Wil make the top 3 sides work as well

yeah i think u are spot with that ...i see Albion as a threat cuz you just dont know what you are going to get on the day ....but i wish Altona al the very best for 2011.. AFC LOVE just wondering if u could give me some names of your top players you think that will have a big session for Altona

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like this will be a tight season, north footscray and heights i think have ruled themselves out but sunshine have definitely showed they can play. team to beat this year would be st albans or altona and dont count out hoppers.

Whose been the damaging players from each team so far?

count sunshine out, fair enough we only beat you by 40 odd points but seriously that was the worst game of football i have ever watched in all my years i was actually disgraced to say i played for altona just watching my team mates play like that was disgusting not to mention our main chb rocking up to the game at 3 qaurter time due to sleeping pills and with me and 3 more key players will be good to get us back. st albans are pretty good i knew they were gonna go alrite when my jets mates went there but they lack depth and they beat spotty which was good but spotty beat albion by 2 points and hoppers beat albion by 100 odd points and we beat hoppers so you ask the question is the qaulity as good as the past few years and will it just be altona and hoppers ?

sunshine are questionable don't know what to expect from them, Albion had some players out and spotswood are hopeless from scores. Possible ladder

Altona (on paper a very good side, whether as a team bit iffy) key player- C. Irving, R.Kelly

St Albans-( has a lot of quality players will be a fight between them and altona)
key player- M. Whiteside and whether or not jets players play or not

Hoppers-(seams like a strong team, very competitive against altona, very hard to separate top 3 teams)
Key player B. Humphrey

Sunshine- ( Not that bad of a side but definitely a level below the top 3 interesting to see how they go against spotty, Albion)

Key player D. McKinley

Albion
Spotty
Sunshine heights
North

Altona (on paper a very good side, whether as a team bit iffy) key player- C. Irving, R.Kelly

there 2 of just numerous key players: mickleson chb, mozzie half back, mead full back, ward,cookie to come back againts spotty,buyson or hutcheson very good midfield, irving up foward with comeadow and allen there our main players

there 2 of just numerous key players: mickleson chb, mozzie half back, mead full back, ward,cookie to come back againts spotty,buyson or hutcheson very good midfield, irving up foward with comeadow and allen there our main players

what about Hugh Mility, you left him out

yeah i watched one of your games agents Hoppers , was a lucky win IMO.
only thing i hate about the altona ground is the wind that blows from cherry lake !! its a pain in the ass, but good luck to you and your team ...but remember its a long session and anything can happen :thumbsu:

Funny to see that the majority of bottom age TAC cup U18s that come from not the strongest teams (Caroline Springs etc) have all gone to St Albans - Stever Kreituk's (sp) (jets coach)'s local club.

Sunshine had their CHF and FF out against Altona not to mention one of their best players Nick Mayer also they have picked up Jimmy Vella from Heights to boost their midfield as mentioned above D.McKinley is a key player for Sunshine this year at his best he is hard to stop so too is his brother B.McKinley. Sunshine should be taken seriously this year they should and will make finals and give the other teams a run for their money.

look sunshine will not be among the top 3, i like hoppers they are strong but whether they can beat altona is a tough question. St albans recruited really well this year and have a very very big side. Sunshine are certainly better than previous years with new players jimmy vella ^ b.mkinnely- jets under 16's 2010 and named best twice and u. wijesesarka- kicked 8 goals so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back