Harvey gone

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd certainly prefer to win 60 to 50 than lose 70 to 120. Check out our % this year.............

Lyon said himself early this year he had to try something different at the Saints, but ended going back to what he knows best.

One question - how do you see some of the attacking players at Freo like Pavlich, Hill, Mundy, etc. adapting to Lyon's crap stop/start game plan?

1) Lloyd and Bond re-built the list. mark harvey's contributions were Mark Johnson, Kepler Bradley, Dean Solomon and Adam McPhee.

2) A game style that saww us finish what, 14th, 14th, 6th and 11th ?

3) The gap between the premiership coaches and Harvey was massive IMO.

4) Which he contributed to.

5) Proud to be a Fremantle supporter today, great move IMO.

Rationality has set in and as usual I was quick to display anger but bloody hell, I think it's a bit much to say Harvs did not with Lloyd and Bond. That's a bit of a cop out. Also 2008 and 2009? Rebuilding years? Years in which with a bottom out and a rebuild in them we still managed to be in front in the last quarter in most games to fade out due to a lack of fitness? That's a bit rough to judge him on those finishes.

I dunno, just angry about how we went about this. But I seriously think you're overrating Lyon here. He had a good list that the bitter round troll known as Thomas helped build and then sent them into a lockdown style of game which has had up perplexed for years but sides like Essendon, Geelong and Collingwood who have patience and poise under pressure (referring to the last two there, buggered if I know how Essendon does it) handle it. And like a few people I like seeing a confident, aggressive plan that encourages better ball usage and the mental strength to deal with the pressure like a champion side should, not a lockdown defensive struggle. I like the philosophy of trying to win games, not not losing them. I like winning by trying to outscore the opposition, not by conceeding the least. It's going to be an adjustment, and core changes like that don't just happen overnight (or possibly even over 1 season).

I don't know if "Proud" is an emotion anyone should be feeling. It's still a soulless act. I can understand excited or optimistic but Proud? That's kind of like being proud of your daughter after she slept with the boss of her company to eliminate her competition for that all important promotion before stabbing him in the back and taking his job instead. It's potential success yes but it's a dirty feeling inside all the same and there's a certain amount of self-denial that we're going to face when asked about this in the future.

But still it's Freo. No matter how business-like a decision it was it was still a ballsy, ruthless and aggressive decision for a great outcome for the club and the board should be commended for their intestinal fortitude at the very least. I look forward to seeing how the boys go next year with this change up.

Lyon is better than Eade I guess....

Lyon left his manager's in the dark and has apparently been dropped by them. That's how it was kept secret

Makes sense since Lyon would have known that Harvey has the same manager.

Will be surprised if they drop him though, their cut on $3-4 million would be substantial.

Lyon left his manager's in the dark and has apparent;y been dropped by them. That's how it was kept secret

Epic. Does that mean he really wanted to come to Freo? Sounds like it at least. With him jumping on a plane straight away as well.

The way we left Harvey doesn't really sit well with me, but hope Lyon can get more out of the team :thumbsu:

Lyon said himself early this year he had to try something different at the Saints, but ended going back to what he knows best.

One question - how do you see some of the attacking players at Freo like Pavlich, Hill, Mundy, etc. adapting to Lyon's crap stop/start game plan?

Guess we'll have to wait and see...for me it will be adaptability from both sides that will be interesting...can the players adapt to a defensive mindset...and can the new coach adapt to a more offensively minded (! You know what I mean) list?

Firstly, I am not happy with the execution style of Harvs axing. I hope something comes out that warrants it. I don't want Freo to be that type of club that regularly sacks coaches.

alp.gif

Kinda my concern about this. What of in the future when we may need a new coach? Which coach in his right mind would want a job with a permanent sword of Damocles above them?

Sorry to intrude but I just wanted to reply to this.

What exactly is the Fremantle way? Fremantle is the most unsuccessful club in the AFL, if Ross Lyon can deliver Fremantle a Premiership with his defensive game-plan then I fail to see how that is a bad thing?

Ross Lyon will turn your team into a hard nosed, defensive machine, he will slap the softness out of Hill and bring structure to Fremantle like no other Coach has.

Great appointment for Fremantle and best of luck for 2012 and beyond. :thumbsu:

TOUGH call Tiger. Statistically maybe, but they've only been around since 1995. They've played finals three times since 2003 - Richmond haven't played finals at all in that period. Been a lot more successful than us in recent history. You can't compare a team that it is still a teenager comparedto teams with 100 years or more in the league!

That said, I feel for Harvey. Difficult job under the circmstances and I don't believe the hype on Lyon. He's had more to work with than most coaches, despite having some crap at the bottom end of the scale!

Epic. Does that mean he really wanted to come to Freo? Sounds like it at least. With him jumping on a plane straight away as well.

The way we left Harvey doesn't really sit well with me, but hope Lyon can get more out of the team :thumbsu:
As someone who's a big Survivor fan (yeah I know I'm prety much by myself), this whole thing is the biggest blindside I've ever seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't see this coming. Wow. I honestly didn't think the club would pull the trigger.

Ross Lyon is a big name replacement though.

I expect we'll all see a well drilled, more organised structure come into effect from next season.

I am quite happy with this appointment. I reckon Harvey had lost the playing group already this year. The team selection and tactics this season have been deplorable at times this season. Its good that we got pro active and decided to do something about some of the short comings of our team this year.

I reckon Lyon will bring a well constructed game plan and make us a more disciplined side next year.

Part of that would be that the players know plan A and the coaches know that it had worked in the past. He now has an opportunity to tweak that gameplan with a whole new group. St Kilda had so many issues over the summer that it wasn't the ideal time to implement something different.

The Saints have outside attacking players - Ray, Peake and Clarke spring to mind. Hill, Morabito and Fyfe are miles ahead of those 3 so we'll be fine. Plus having the biggest (and many would say best) ruckman in the competition helps with a stoppage based formula.

Guess we'll have to wait and see...for me it will be adaptability from both sides that will be interesting...can the players adapt to a defensive mindset...and can the new coach adapt to a more offensively minded (! You know what I mean) list?

Freo has a more exciting list than the Saints, so just hope he finds the right medium. Don't want to see your style of play out the window completely.

Makes sense since Lyon would have known that Harvey has the same manager.

Will be surprised if they drop him though, their cut on $3-4 million would be substantial.

ESP have announced their sacking of Lyon already.

Supposedly the deal is worth $7.5m, and ESP weren't involved.

I assume they could sue for breach of contract, depending on the terms and conditions of his contract.

Lyon has a lot more to work with at Freo and he's not an idiot. Wide open Paterson's stadium, lots of running.

You'll only have half your games there though. Just hope Lyon remembers who he's coaching in your Melbourne games...

ESP have announced their sacking of Lyon already.

Supposedly the deal is worth $7.5m, and ESP weren't involved.

I assume they could sue for breach of contract, depending on the terms and conditions of his contract.

Spot on

3.5mill for the first year then 1 million a year for the next 4
Rossy's done alright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back