What an ordinary season of footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Although I've been quite happy with my team's year (last game notwithstanding), it's been a distinctly uninteresting season that has been an unengaging yawnfest punctuated by the occasional game of interest.

At the bottom end of the ladder, the two expansion clubs have turned up for routine spankings most weeks, at times on a scale of predictability rivalled perhaps only by Fitzroy at the end. Unfortunately, several teams have 'bottomed out' at exactly the same time - the downside to the strategy of building through the draft with teenagers. Far too many depressing beltings were dished out to the Dogs, Power and Dees - at least the Lions showed some improvement.

Only one team has really managed to 'bolt' and put the cat amongst the pigeons - I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for Adelaide.

Finally, people are banging on about what an 'even' season it is - but the issue is that it's only even between positions 2 through 5. Hawthorn is quite clearly the best team in the competition by a few goals, and so we may even have a very ordinary GF inflicted upon us, following a very ordinary year.

Far too many depressing beltings were dished out to the Dogs, Power and Dees - at least the Lions showed some improvement.

Don't generalise. Name the beltings of us. Only three of our losses were more than 50, and those all came in times when we LITERALLY had 20 injuries. To say we showed no improvement is a completely shit observation too. We were so, so, so bad last year, and we were at least competitive in most of our games.

I realise my post isn't particularly on topic, but I don't even care. I hate the blind and mindless abuse of our club, especially in times like this. Get your facts straight.

Don't generalise. Name the beltings of us. Only three of our losses were more than 50, and those all came in times when we LITERALLY had 20 injuries. To say we showed no improvement is a completely shit observation too. We were so, so, so bad last year, and we were at least competitive in most of our games.

I realise my post isn't particularly on topic, but I don't even care. I hate the blind and mindless abuse of our club, especially in times like this. Get your facts straight.

Yep. I thought Port Adelaide were quite impressive at times this year. Huge improvement from last year.

I don't think it has been that great a season, either. Despite my club still being thereabouts.

I actually want to start seeing clubs like Brisbane, Melbourne, Port, Richmond to rise. A run of dominance from some of these teams would be good for the comp. Count Freo in that too.

Been a very good season I reckon. I've enjoyed alot of aspects of it.

3 wins seperating 1st and 8th.
Rise and fall of Carlton and Essendon
Collingwood throughout the whole year were interesting
Emergence of North Melbourne, Freo and Sydney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree.

• With 5-6 rounds to go there were a very healthy mix of teams fighting for the 8.
  • Richmond :oops: and Carlton being beaten by GC provided good lols.
  • Hawks got beaten handily a few times but fought back to be favourites.
  • Collingwood and West Coast battled injury to almost / make the 4.
  • Adelaide and Sydney were both entertaining.
  • North fought back from a terrible start to barnstorm into the finals.
  • Carlton and Essendon started strongly then bombed spectacularly
  • Could Lyon make something of Freo??
Theres always poor teams and there'll be more from now on. Notwithstanding I thought it was a great season.

I couldn't agree more, and let this be know. I HATE THE PAFC and have done since i first started watching SANFL football but to anyone that thinks this club hasn't improved in the past season has no idea.
Sure they slowed down to basically a walk for the last 6-8 weeks of the season (R23 excluded) but before that and before they were totally decimated by injury they played competitive football each week, were generally very hard at the footy and contested well.

Theres a long way to go for this club to be a finals contender but the nucleus is certainly there with Trengove, Butcher, Redden, Boak, Wingard, Ebert, Broadbent, Hartlett and Pittard. Add another good first round pick in (hopefully a KPP) and they have quite the core to work with there.

Sydney, West Coast, Collingwood & Hawthorn all occupied top spot at one time.

Premiership favouritism was equally shared at various points.

Going into the final round there were any number of permutations for the top 4 and top 8 make up.

We've seen Franklin kick 13, Howe nominated for MOTY every other week, Pavlich kick 57 goals in 13 games, Hawthorn deliver on their promise, Sydney rise from a perennial finalist to a premiership contender, Adelaide rise to 2nd, games dominated by rising stars like Cotchin, Kennedy, Dangerfield, Naitanui & Beams...

Sure GWS and GC suck and the Dogs, Dees and Power had awful seasons but there are awful teams every year. Far from an ordinary season I would have thought..

Season has been rubbish.

Whether Geelong finishes first or last doesn't make a difference.

With the 2 expansion clubs and the uneven draw you really don't know where a lot of clubs are at.

The ladder should be an accurate indication of the strength of teams, there should be no doubt about where a club has finished on the ladder.

Also too many rubbish teams means too many rubbish games. You don't want to look through the games and see maybe 2 interesting games a week.

The umpiring has gone to a new level of low and so has the MRP.

Channel 7 commentators have been crap.

The same successful clubs all challenging for flags. Hawks, Pies, Swans, Eagles, Crows, Geelong

Those saying it's been a close year, no it hasn't Hawthorn are clearly the best team and there will likely be very few close finals.

Strongly disagree, but it may depend on which team you support.

I wasn't surprised that this was started by a Geelong supporter, and that the first reply agreeing with the OP was by a Carlton supporter.

IMO it's been one of the better seasons for a while.

Melbourne and the Bulldogs have been disappointing, however, people should remember Port were very competitive in the first half of the year. Gold Coast & GWS caused a few upsets but the bottom end of the ladder is always underwhelming.

It's been exciting for everyone else. At stages Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, St Kilda all looked likely to make the top 8. Even in the last 2-3 weeks of the H&A season no one was sure what the final 8, let alone top 4 would be, which hasn't been the case the last few years, maybe longer.

The Coleman was decided in the last round.

13 wins wouldn't have been enough to make the finals this year.

There were also huge upsets almost every round, and there's even been a massive one in the first week of the finals.

There isn't a big gap between the top 6 sides at the moment, and I don't that's something we've ever seen before. Certainly not in my lifetime.

Very good contest for 6-10 that only died out in the last 2 rounds

A few 'clear' leaders.... that changed every 3 weeks.

A few implosions and the Lions showing some good signs.

Not an all time best season but there's been plenty good about it.

When the AFL fixtured the two expansion teams to play on the same day, it provided for a very ordinary day of football. Apart from that, and my teams shitty efforts, I found the season to be no worse than other years. The finals series is still very open with West Coast and Freo playing well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back