Moved Thread Was that the best officated Grand Final for the past 20 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

vikingpimp

Senior List
May 19, 2011
London
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Umpires did very well today. Let it go, didn't pay too many of those bull dragging the ball under frees. As a Hawks fan, I'm disappointed, but not angry, because I thought the umpires were very good. From memory I can only think of two really contentious decisions, both against the Swans.

The Teddy Richards deliberate out of bounds was harsh, as he was kicking out of a pack, and the Kennedy holding the ball when he had a split second to get rid of it (plenty of these went to a ball up all match).

That's why I'm happy to see to the victor go the spoils. Swans outplayed us overall while we performed in fits and starts.

Just curious to see if anyone else thinks the umpiring was spot on today?

There was no consistency b/w htb / throwing the ball b/w what Hawthorn were allowed to get away with compared to Sydney. They were red hot on Sydney and Hawthorn got away with a lot of throws/htb.

Well sure as F*^K beat Hawks vs Crows from last week that's for sure...still tried their best for Hawks though.

Hawks got the rub again. 20-9 their favor and at least 4 of Sydney's frees were out on the full. That means Sydney were only paid a maximum of 5 free kicks in the play.

Thought it was pretty average. Not shocking, but some very questionable decisions (Richards' deliberate as well as a few htbs come to mind). They attempted to be consistent at least.

Hawks got the rub again. 20-9 their favor and at least 4 of Sydney's frees were out on the full. That means Sydney were only paid a maximum of 5 free kicks in the play.

Out on the fulls aren't reported in the frees for and against stats. But yeah it really favoured the Hawks today, that free to Hale was shocking. Wasn't all one way though, that push in the back to Suckling should have been a down field free kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a neutral, thought the rub of the green went very much the way of the Hawks. When you see a 30/70 decision get called for the Hawks and then 2 minutes later, and 70/30 decision not get called for Sydney, it is pretty ordinary.

Momentum plays a massive part in Grand Finals, and even one marginal call that goes your way followed by a marginal call that doesn't go your opponent's way can have a massive impact on the result.

Given that, massive effort and kudos to Sydney for getting the job done against all the odds (including unfavourable umpiring).

I guess I'll have to stand corrected, because I can't see myself watching that anytime again soon. Had the eyepatch on I guess

will be among the worst. Sydney were bent over and had large blunt objects with spikes inserted without lube.

they were terrible.

There have been far better officiated GFs in recent years.

The 50 against Sydney in the last term was a shocking call. The ump hadn't even signalled the free when the Sydney player kicked it forward - no way it was 50.

The 50 against Mitchell was there, but the incident happened on the defensive side of centre and O'Keefe had a shot on goal about 35 metres out. It was about an 80.

The deliberate against Richards was also a disgrace, given the way the ball swirled in the wind on that flank.

Umpiring is a really tough job, and due to positioning or judgement even the best umpires aren't going to get them all correct.

Overall, there's a few issues those that enforce the rules really need to consider this summer. The teammate of the player with the ball joining the tackle is something that's really crept back in the game lately. The 3 umpire system was supposed to stop players holding off the ball, but that's also becoming an issue again.

Watching the replay now, and the 50m against Pyke in the 4th quarter was horrendous. The umpire hadn't even finished signalling the holding the ball when Pyke kicked it away.

Victorian Umpires Victorian Decisions we can only hope we have a more diverse range of umps in future years...it's becoming a joke...silence from Vics of course but wailing when it doesn't go there way ala Playing West Coast ? Freo at home...then it's Royal Commissions being demanded!!!

Can't believe someone started this thread???

Umpiring was a little bias towards Hawthorn. SYdney had some dodgy holding the ball decisions against and couldn't buy a free at times.

5/10 for the umpires today.

50/50s got paid to the Hawks.

How many tackles did the Swans make and get no reward?

Kennedy pinged for making no genuine attempt but no Hawks got pinged.

Only reason people would think it was ok is the team that got the decent run still got rolled.

Great win swans.

Yep! Agree. Thought the umps were average. The Hale free that broke the Hawks goal drought and the deliberate out of bounds were shocking decisions. There was a missed mark at a crucial time as well - I think to Hannebury - after he clearly held it and a Hawk player hit it away anyway. A couple of the holding the ball decisions were rubbish and not consistent the other way. It's annoying when players are allowed to get rid of the ball by letting it go and hitting it, while a bloke who makes the play gets pinged because he doesn't feign trying to hit it away.

I actually thought it was one of the worse umped Grand Finals of recent times.

As a neutral watching Hawthorn and Adelaide last week, I was outraged at how the Crows were treated, and wasn't surprised those three umpires were on holidays this week.

The frees today ran 2-1. The amount of times Hawks were tackled and simply placed the ball on the ground, and got away with it, was outrageous.

It got tight in the last quarter so the whistle went away, and tackle after tackle went unrewarded.

I'd like to know how many of Hawthorn's frees were paid by one particular umpire.........

The AFL as Australia's leading professional sport needs to get fair dinkum about neutral umpires.....Victorian umpires should not be umpiring matches involving Victorian sides...and so on....doubt any "interstate side" supporters would disagree>

The irony of Victorian sides whinging about how they get treated at West Coast....please.....Sydney get smoked by the umpires at home!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back