MRP / Trib. Will Powell (GC Suns) Banned for 5 rounds for using a homophobic slur during their loss to Brisbane.

Remove this Banner Ad

All I’ve said is not to assume the homophobic slur was vitriolic. That’s hardly defending the slur. But you’ve made up your mind that Powell is a bigot. Good for you.
'You still think being called a bigot for ones actions is worse than using a homophobic slur

This is all well and good but wait for when it's a brownlow contender or big name just before finals and see if the AFL will do the same thing of will they get the Maynard treatment or a 'quirk' of the afl rules .

I have skimmed the reporting of this and couldnt get a clear answer. Even chucked the articles into AI to get them to sum it up and that was pointless.

What was the 5 weeks for? Was it the slur and not being as up front as Finlayson or was the extra added on from his social media background?

If it is the later then that is real bullshit as we can't retroactively add suspensions for past behaviour like that from years ago.

I have skimmed the reporting of this and couldnt get a clear answer. Even chucked the articles into AI to get them to sum it up and that was pointless.

What was the 5 weeks for? Was it the slur and not being as up front as Finlayson or was the extra added on from his social media background?

If it is the later then that is real bullshit as we can't retroactively add suspensions for past behaviour like that from years ago.
The extra was for doing it so soon after Finlayson.

The extra was for doing it so soon after Finlayson.
Ok, I really don't like that at all. It just doesn't sit right that you can add more onto an offense because someone else has done it. We don't do that for any other suspensions. People would be getting 15 weeks for something at the end of the season that someone got 3 for at the start.

Ok, I really don't like that at all. It just doesn't sit right that you can add more onto an offense because someone else has done it. We don't do that for any other suspensions. People would be getting 15 weeks for something at the end of the season that someone got 3 for at the start.

This isn't a football action, this isn't even a an action in the realm of 'contact sport, s**t happens', it's not an action that's acceptable in any workplace, nor in any social setting - though I'm sure some would claim it's all fine in their friendship group.

It's an act the AFL have (finally) decided they want to stamp out. So do it knowing full well that whoever is next will cop even more than 5 weeks. If a player needs to be suspended for an entire season to learn their lesson, then bad luck I guess.

Don't say something homophobic and you won't get suspended. It's not a necessary part of playing the sport in any way, and as a society where there's a significant number of homosexual people involved playing (despite none being public about it), watching or assisting with the game, it's not hard to demand better.

I like it.

You have to be a real simpleton to go back to the well on the slurs so soon after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back