MRP / Trib. Sam Powell-Pepper bump on Mark Keane

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah not gross at all lol. Ya boy got spun into SPP. Mark's head also lowered in the tackle, both from the tackle and the fact the he stood on Rioli's foot in the spin (which tripped him slightly).
100% unintentional.

If the olympics had mental gymnastics, you’d win the gold.

I am of the mind that he should not be rubbed out. I really hate that the last two big MRO decisions has been Maynard (hate the dude and have personal history with him) and Powell-Pepper (Just hate Port) and I have to defend them.

SPP went in to help with the tackle then as he planted his foot looked to turn his body to protect himself. I really hate that the AFL is now saying you have a duty of care to other players over yourself, something which I really hope will come back to bite them. The only reasonable action he could of taken as he entered the contest which would of mitigated damage to himself and Keane would of been to stay front on (i.e. not move the shoulder) and try and get his own head higher than Keane's as Rioli Swung him around.

The question I have for those who thinks he should be rubbed out for a heap of games, would you have this opinion if he stayed open chest and Keane was knocked out on his chest as a result of the Rioli tackle.

There's lies, statistics and then Collingwood fan's defences of Braydan Maynard ending Angus Brayshaw's career.

More like people made up their mind and refused to look at new angles of the incident nor the Maynard defence arguments including the fact that once in the air there is nothing a human can do to change direction and not enough time to change mind.

It really has nothing to do with a bump and the poster got called out for the false analogy.

On topic, I give it 3 weeks and I give it 3 years until the bump is out of the game altogether (and I do not care).

SPP should get weeks, but the talk of 4-5 weeks is setting a wild precedent that of course, they won't stick to.

Keane wasn't knocked out, there were mitigating factors such as Rioli's tackle adding to the force. If this is a severe impact over and above the 3 week minimum, what's the penalty going to be when someone is knocked out cold? What about very late bumps where the ball is out of the way like DeGoey's on the West Coast kid last year.

I don't think there would have been too many complaints if it had been graded careless/high/high and given 2 weeks.

SPP should get weeks, but the talk of 4-5 weeks is setting a wild precedent that of course, they won't stick to.

Keane wasn't knocked out, there were mitigating factors such as Rioli's tackle adding to the force. If this is a severe impact over and above the 3 week minimum, what's the penalty going to be when someone is knocked out cold? What about very late bumps where the ball is out of the way like DeGoey's on the West Coast kid last year.

I don't think there would have been too many complaints if it had been graded careless/high/high and given 2 weeks.

If he gets 4-5 deserves every one. How can a player be that dumb in a pre season when you are literally only trying to get miles in your legs. Think he gets 4 especially when Brayshaw retired this week from repeated concussions. They do say they don't come into it, but I wasn't born yesterday they do. 4 seems a middle ground, Port will ask for 3 (unless they are silly any ask for a downgrade), AFL probably ask for 5, bang in the middle 4 everyone is a little unhappy but not awfully unhappy.

JDG's one was a shocking decision I'd hope they have learnt from that decicion.

If he gets 4-5 deserves every one. How can a player be that dumb in a pre season when you are literally only trying to get miles in your legs. Think he gets 4 especially when Brayshaw retired this week from repeated concussions. They do say they don't come into it, but I wasn't born yesterday they do. 4 seems a middle ground, Port will ask for 3 (unless they are silly any ask for a downgrade), AFL probably ask for 5, bang in the middle 4 everyone is a little unhappy but not awfully unhappy.

JDG's one was a shocking decision I'd hope they have learnt from that decicion.

It's hard not to feel that we're getting the wrong end of the stick when the AFL are "learning" from Collingwood decisions while applying those lessons when it's us.

If they want to argue that a high impact is worth 4 weeks and set that up as part of the MRO matrix, that's fine by me, gotta protect the head. But if any concussion is automatically severe impact, severe is too broad a category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard not to feel that we're getting the wrong end of the stick when the AFL are "learning" from Collingwood decisions while applying those lessons when it's us.

If they want to argue that a high impact is worth 4 weeks and set that up as part of the MRO matrix, that's fine by me, gotta protect the head. But if any concussion is automatically severe impact, severe is too broad a category.

Concussion will always be serve grading andf I'll say this, it should be. Gone are the 1990's and even the 2000's where we knew litt;e about the effect of regular head knocks. For SPP to do this the week where Brayshaw retires has to be in the top 1% of dumb things he could do.

I am of the mind that he should not be rubbed out. I really hate that the last two big MRO decisions has been Maynard (hate the dude and have personal history with him) and Powell-Pepper (Just hate Port) and I have to defend them.

SPP went in to help with the tackle then as he planted his foot looked to turn his body to protect himself. I really hate that the AFL is now saying you have a duty of care to other players over yourself, something which I really hope will come back to bite them. The only reasonable action he could of taken as he entered the contest which would of mitigated damage to himself and Keane would of been to stay front on (i.e. not move the shoulder) and try and get his own head higher than Keane's as Rioli Swung him around.

The question I have for those who thinks he should be rubbed out for a heap of games, would you have this opinion if he stayed open chest and Keane was knocked out on his chest as a result of the Rioli tackle.
Don't know how you tackle, but I tackle with my arms out, not with my arms tucked in.

Watch the wide angle, he never looks like he's getting ready to tackle. He's definitely going in to bump
Perhaps the tackle contributed to the severe impact, but this is an incident we have been crying out for, where the action is penalised

4 weeks seems just about right to me..

I dont reckon there was malice in it..

Just think SPP wanted to bring some pain with a heavy bump to help lift his team.. and he stuffed up the timing and ended up bumping high..

Now lets hope the AFL tribunal is consistent on it for the remainder of the year..
but, of course, none of us will be holding our breath’s!

4 weeks seems just about right to me..

I dont reckon there was malice in it..

Just think SPP wanted to bring some pain with a heavy bump to help lift his team.. and he stuffed up the timing and ended up bumping high..

Now lets hope the AFL tribunal is consistent on it for the remainder of the year..
but, of course, none of us will be holding our breath’s!

It'll be consistent for non Vic teams

4 weeks is a joke. This is now the bench mark going forward.
Was never going to get a fair go at it given what's happened these last couple of weeks.
2 ok 3 max. 4 is poor. Hope we appeal.

AFL making up for the Maynard incident

Can never get under 3 with severe impact, learn to read the guidelines. As soon as the bloke had ongoing concussion symptoms it's severe, so that's 3 weeks at a minimum. 4 just seems right, this was a fraction higher than just a normal severe incident

Can never get under 3 with severe impact, learn to read the guidelines. As soon as the bloke had ongoing concussion symptoms it's severe, so that's 3 weeks at a minimum. 4 just seems right, this was a fraction higher than just a normal severe incident

Maynard?

Especially if it's outcome based, not intent

How was it a fraction higher than severe? No broken bones, not unconcious etc

Maynard 0 weeks
Rule change
Salt and pepper 4 weeks
View attachment 1915246
It’s pretty well established that Maynard got off on a technicality based on the rules last year and the AFL have since amended the rule so it won’t happen again so it’s not exactly the best comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back