News Rioli slap cops a 2 week ban.

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like he hit him in the ear.

If you've ever copped one of those, they initially feel a lot worse than they actually are and they rattle you because of the sound.

It's probably why he went down.
No need to investigate Murphy's actions. Rioli hit him in the head with a reasonable amount of force. 2 weeks is a minimum, but given that we're handing out 2 week suspensions for any head contact in a bump or a tackle, I think we have to start coming down harder on head-high contact off-the-ball.

No need to investigate Murphy's actions. Rioli hit him in the head with a reasonable amount of force. 2 weeks is a minimum, but given that we're handing out 2 week suspensions for any head contact in a bump or a tackle, I think we have to start coming down harder on head-high contact off-the-ball.
Comparing the chance of injury with Rioli hit with bump or tackle is plain ridiculous.

Unfortunately his penalty can't be reduced by 25% so he'll be unable to apply for the remorseful discount

Comparing the chance of injury with Rioli hit with bump or tackle is plain ridiculous.
That's not the comparison I made. Toby Greene got suspended for 6 games after bumping an umpire, and it wasn't because of the chance of injury. Some actions just have no place in the game, this is one of them. I'd be happy for him to get 3-4 weeks.

Rioli is a dirty dog and always has been. Two weeks is favourable, and over the next two weeks he can study how to be an effective forward when he is on a quality opponent. He still owes Rowell an apology for a cowardly bump.
An effective opponent because 4 umpires are not enough to do their job. If they did it wouldn't have escalated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it looked like the contact was insufficient to be 2 weeks, probably 1 at worst just for the look, but I'd have been fine with it if it got off for insufficient force, or if it was 1 reduced to none with an early plea, or just a fine.

However there's the "head tax" applied here, which is why it got 2.

If I compare the Pickett bump to this though, there's no way I can have them as equal suspensions.

Possibly an appeal gets a better outcome?

Rioli is a dirty dog and always has been. Two weeks is favourable, and over the next two weeks he can study how to be an effective forward when he is on a quality opponent. He still owes Rowell an apology for a cowardly bump.
He’s not dirty; he’s just not very smart and does dumb things

To me it looked like the contact was insufficient to be 2 weeks, probably 1 at worst just for the look, but I'd have been fine with it if it got off for insufficient force, or if it was 1 reduced to none with an early plea, or just a fine.

However there's the "head tax" applied here, which is why it got 2.

If I compare the Pickett bump to this though, there's no way I can have them as equal suspensions.

Possibly an appeal gets a better outcome?

You make too much sense.

It should be a fine, imagine slapping like that and then making your opponent fly through the air, superpowers.

Earlier this year
Exact same wrestle, North’s Aidan Corr punches Port’s Ollie Lord on the jaw.
Gets 1 week.

Corr punches Lord

Willie shoulda punched Murphy.

Is this the second time this season Rioli has been reported for striking players off the ball when they had their eyes on the play?
Eyes on the ball? Murphy jumper punched him. Rioli deserves a week for being an idiot but don’t make Murphy out to be a saint in this. Umpires need to start penalising defenders who want to hood and scrag. Rioli needs to also get this crap out of his game as well.

Got off for the action, got a week because he made contact with a Collingwood player. Imagine if it was Nick Daicos, 4 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back