Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to know what happens if there is a similar type incident, but where the leading player is concussed by the player backing back into the contest. Let's say by a head clash or similar. Less likely, sure; but entirely conceivable.

What is the outcome here?

I appreciate the leading player has more awareness of what's coming and likely more of an opportunity to effect the outcome, and thus perhaps a relatively higher duty of care, but what I want to know is whether there is absolutely zero duty of care required when you're backing back into a contest?

In this scenario, both players have jumped at the ball in a marking contest, and the entire reason that we laud the player going back in our game so much is that they know they are putting themselves in harms way so it's not really accurate to say they don't know that there's a potential clash. It seems to me that if you extrapolate the current rules then surely the player going back gets suspended?

What if both players are concussed? Could there be a scenario where both are suspended for the same incident?

I am genuinely interested in this question, by the way. I would have posted this in the Greene thread but ****ed if I can find it (with minimal looking)

I want to know what happens if there is a similar type incident, but where the leading player is concussed by the player backing back into the contest. Let's say by a head clash or similar. Less likely, sure; but entirely conceivable.

What is the outcome here?

I appreciate the leading player has more awareness of what's coming and likely more of an opportunity to effect the outcome, and thus perhaps a relatively higher duty of care, but what I want to know is whether there is absolutely zero duty of care required when you're backing back into a contest?

In this scenario, both players have jumped at the ball in a marking contest, and the entire reason that we laud the player going back in our game so much is that they know they are putting themselves in harms way so it's not really accurate to say they don't know that there's a potential clash. It seems to me that if you extrapolate the current rules then surely the player going back gets suspended?

What if both players are concussed? Could there be a scenario where both are suspended for the same incident?

I am genuinely interested in this question, by the way. I would have posted this in the Greene thread but ****ed if I can find it (with minimal looking)

Its all about eyes on the ball and making an attempt to mark or spoil the whole time. If you take your eyes off the ball and turn to brace, your in trouble.

Last edited:
Its all about eyes on the ball and making an attempt to mark or spoil the whole time. If you take your eyes off the ball and turn to brace, your in trouble.
cheers, that's a good point and I reckon that's a fair bit of it. Not inconceivable both players could brace I guess. Would love to see how that would turn out, academically speaking.

By the same token, I'd be interested in seeing whether the brace is the deciding factor. If Wright/Greene hadn't braced are they a-ok? I know most people think they are but I doubt it's that explicit in the wording of the laws

cheers, that's a good point and I reckon that's a fair bit of it. Not inconceivable both players could brace I guess. Would love to see how that would turn out.

Very good question. I guess if they both braced, it would be very unlikely there'd be any head contact involved in the collision.

Just so I’ve got this straight…

McKay can’t do this, and it’s a free kick ✅

BUT

If Mihocek cleaned him up and concussed him, it would still be a free kick, but Mihocek would also be suspended.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Thats an example of one player trying to contest the ball and the other not. In no world would Mihocek be facing a suspension in that contest.

But it was nice if the umpire to penalise the bombers for a change, let a shocking tunnelling attempt go in the 1st qtr…

BUT

If Mihocek cleaned him up and concussed him, it would still be a free kick, but Mihocek would also be suspended.

The difference here is Mihocek gets the pill, which Wright and Green (well the ball hits green but after he's given up on the mark) didn't.

What I think is interesting is what happens if Mihocek can't stay upright after the contact and lands on his neck and is concussed. Does McKay own that damage because he infringed with front on contact? Would it be classified as "tunnelling"?

BUT

Nah ya just paranoid

Back