MRP / Trib. Webster KO's Simpkin - Update 7 week penalty

Remove this Banner Ad

ST KILDA will be without Jimmy Webster for the first seven games of the season after he was hit with the monster ban by the AFL Tribunal on Tuesday.

The defender was charged with rough conduct for his crude bump on North Melbourne co-captain Jy Simpkin during Sunday's AAMI Community Series match.

Webster leapt off the ground and bumped Simpkin in the head, with the Match Review Officer (MRO) grading the incident as careless, severe impact and high contact.

The AFL asked for eight weeks, with Webster addressing the Tribunal during the hearing.

Last edited:
7 is admittedly in the ballpark but it seems very convenient that they play each other again the week he comes back.

TV dollars infiltrating the tribunal again? Makes for a baity story.

Wonder if Webster will pick up a knock on Thursday of that week or come back through the VFL.
AFL seeing dollar signs for all the melee fines form that game

Got the defence ready early, nice nice.
/s

Yeah I know, and this was a pretty bad example, but 3 matches above "the norm" is an outlier

This was as bad a jump as you can get.

The only other one I can think of that was in that vicinity was the Pickett one but it didn’t have the same outcome.

I feel completely comfortable with the SPP being 4 weeks, and this being 7.

It really should be case by case. But all outcomes look like they will be increasing across the board.

7 matches...he got off easy!

He has got more matches than other players have got for similar incidents and the same number of matches as Hall got for belting Staker.

I would hardly say he has got off easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 is admittedly in the ballpark but it seems very convenient that they play each other again the week he comes back.

TV dollars infiltrating the tribunal again? Makes for a baity story.

Wonder if Webster will pick up a knock on Thursday of that week or come back through the VFL.
Its St Kilda belting North. Its not going to attract a TV audience regardless of whatever story can be manufactured.

He has got more matches than other players have got for similar incidents and the same number of matches as Hall got for belting Staker.

I would hardly say he has got off easy.
The past is the past and no longer relevant in AFL football in 2024. 7 matches is a good wack, but he got off easy IMO. It could easily have been 8-10 weeks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back