Peter Wright contact with Harry Cunningham: Pleads Guilty and Receives 4 Week Suspension

How long will Peter be in the sin bin?

• 0 weeks

Votes: 33 13.9%
  • 1 week

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%
  • 3 weeks

Votes: 53 22.3%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 76 31.9%
  • 5 weeks

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • 6+ weeks

Votes: 22 9.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And how would it have it gone down if Cunningham had have squibbed the contest?

I can understand an Essendon supporter calling for that - they have been squibbing contests for 7143 days now. But you are coming off 3 premierships - would you accept a Tigers supporter not competing?

Cunningham showed courage - but he had to go. Wright is allowed to contest, but he cannot simply brace himself and run through Cunningham's head with no eye for the ball. It is pretty simple.
My opinion is that Wright braced as he jumped which is why he deserved a decent holiday.

In terms of what you quoted, Cunningham showed courage but it was stupid courage. We should still promote appetite for the contest but each player should do what they can to protect themselves. Cunningham could of done more to protect himself from any contact. He could of pivoted his body so that his back was to where the contact was more likely to come from.

It is hard to fully explain the courage that I am talking about but it is like what Mika Hakkinen explains to James May about the Finnish concept of Sisu. He says that Sisu is a concept of courage but not dumb courage where "you climb a tree and jump off". I want players to go when it is their turn to go but I want them to protect themselves when they do it.

Was in trouble once Cunningham was concussed.
I think even if he went in with the breadbasket arms for the chest mark he'd still get done.
Catches him high, causes the head to hit the ground.
The 4 surprised me over the 3. But it's the tribunal.
2 years ago you were cleared to win a Brownlow for that.
I choose to believe that if he opened up his right arm for the chest mark and his left bicep/shoulder still concussed Cunningham he would of been perfectly fine. If he still got 4 weeks after that, I am pretty sure that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of long time viewers.

I choose to believe that if he opened up his right arm for the chest mark and his left bicep/shoulder still concussed Cunningham he would of been perfectly fine. If he still got 4 weeks after that, I am pretty sure that would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of long time viewers.
He flinches and it's cost him.

Never went for the ball. Play the ball and he'd be fine.

I also don't get the argument bombers fans make in Wright protected Cunningham? Dude has been concussed.

When bracing, you'd assume one decelerates and tries to nullify the impact.

The lesson here is players need to keep barrelling through the contest/ball.
If it takes his head clean off then so be it. It's the only legal way.

Last edited:

Yes, you would assume that to be the case. Which is why it should be clear Wright wasn't bracing.....

My opinion is that Wright braced as he jumped which is why he deserved a decent holiday.

In terms of what you quoted, Cunningham showed courage but it was stupid courage. We should still promote appetite for the contest but each player should do what they can to protect themselves. Cunningham could of done more to protect himself from any contact. He could of pivoted his body so that his back was to where the contact was more likely to come from.

It is hard to fully explain the courage that I am talking about but it is like what Mika Hakkinen explains to James May about the Finnish concept of Sisu. He says that Sisu is a concept of courage but not dumb courage where "you climb a tree and jump off". I want players to go when it is their turn to go but I want them to protect themselves when they do it.
Cunningham did not even know Wright was coming.
Had eyes for the ball only and it was Wright who was making all the play.
He had choice and Cunningham did not.

I think 4 weeks is a bit steep.

My take was it sat somewhere between “high impact” and the SPP bump given the new “community standards” on incidents that cause concussion.

I don’t know how you could be surprised that the AFL asked for 4 matches. Say that the AFL asked for 3, then Essendon’s mitigation made sense and it was downgraded to 2.

That would essentially mean the hit should have been graded as high impact not severe. Optics behind that would not be the best for the AFL, so it was always going to be 4 with potential decrease to 3 at a minimum.

Even Essendon's defence admitted Wright had other options to lessen the impact
A lot of this rests on the Coaches directive to "Play on the edge". Everybody's interpretation of that directive will be different.
Some players are intelligent and some are not.

A lot of this rests on the Coaches directive to "Play on the edge". Everybody's interpretation of that directive will be different.
Some players are intelligent and some are not.
There were a number of incidents that game where Essendon were trying to cause harm. Hind trying to elbow Warner, Draper going for a hit on Lloyd. The directive was a bit more than playing on the edge I feel

There were a number of incidents that game where Essendon were trying to cause harm. Hind trying to elbow Warner, Draper going for a hit on Lloyd. The directive was a bit more than playing on the edge I feel
Smells a bit like Sheedys "Line in the sand" game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres 2 instances there, equal if not more from sydney players, sounds like a normal game of footy. This edge thing is such a media beatup from a coach saying he wants his players to be tougher in the contest

Any incidents from Sydney?

Any incidents from Sydney?
Yeah there was one where you see Heeney throw his hand out at hit an Essendon bloke in the head.

There was one where Gulden went late and a 50 was paid against him.

They both looked like the players were frustrated at the "attention" the Essendon players were dishing

Any Essendon players get concussed?

Yeah there was one where you see Heeney throw his hand out at hit an Essendon bloke in the head.

There was one where Gulden went late and a 50 was paid against him.

They both looked like the players were frustrated at the "attention" the Essendon players were dishing

Any Essendon players get concussed?
You forgot warner elbowing wright to the head, must have missed it like the afl

Care to share a link? I've not heard this.

It is interesting that Essendon have been punished for their behaviour but none of the Swans players. I wonder why? :think:
1e7cc16a2babdd6aa169225bad0339fc15f2fc78.jpeg
My mistake wasnt an elbow but a hit to the face.

3 swans players were penalised with fines. It is an interesting point you raise though, why arent sydney players held to the same standard as other teams? Maybe something to do with the afl needing sydney to be succesful?

Probably cause its a business first and sport second. Outcomes come first, just like the Swans found out in that grand final with the free kick imbalance ;)

Dude, he already ran his shoulder into Cunningham's head and concussed him. It wasn't going to get too much worse. And if you genuinely believe he decelerated, then continuing you go for the ball would have meant he would have been first to the ball and almost certainly past Cunningham.

Was in trouble once Cunningham was concussed.
I think even if he went in with the breadbasket arms for the chest mark he'd still get done.
Catches him high, causes the head to hit the ground.
The 4 surprised me over the 3. But it's the tribunal.
2 years ago you were cleared to win a Brownlow for that.
That's probably true. I think moving forward it's going to be almost impossible to escape a suspension for any action at all if the other player gets concussed.

Back