MRP / Trib. Sam Powell-Pepper bump on Mark Keane

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s definitely a step too far. Play the ball and not the man and all that.
Most Port fans are more interested* in sitting back and waiting for how the AFL will tie itself in knots explaining how the suspensions will become lesser and lesser through the year for similar offences….
… with an inevitable controversial lawyer led acquittal near finals time….
… and then the AFL, who love the law but hate the bit of the law called “precedent”, magically erase the whiteboard and start again next season with a clean slate and a new “improved” concern for player welfare.

* second most interested behind Port Adelaide not sacking Ken.

The Port goggles can't be taken off, but I have watched the incident quite a few times both in real speed and slow motion. Stand by what I've said.
Even before he was tackled PP was preparing to bump like he always does. The penalty is fair under today's rules. It remains to be seen however whether the AFL will have consistency with this measure irrespective of whether it's in a regular round, finals or against a Brownlow medal contender. I have my doubts.

Not sure if its been said or not but Willie Rioli lays the absolute definition of a sling tackle. Super lucky not to be done for it.

Not sure if its been said or not but Willie Rioli lays the absolute definition of a sling tackle. Super lucky not to be done for it.

This is more insane than the Port supporters arguing SPP should have gotten off.

Keane is already spinning prior to Rioli tackling him in an attempt to get the handball away, Rioli just goes around with the much larger player who is already spinning. You can't get sling tackled when you don't go to ground.

Get a lil racist stiffy yesterday mate? How long you been waiting to bring that up? Good on ya
Would love to know how you’ve managed to bring race into this.

Last edited:
The Maynard decision is comparable because both players charged into contests too hard and entirely through their own choice put themselves in a position where heavy contact with a vulnerable player was unavoidable, and then put their shoulder into their opponent's head. SPP didn't "choose to bump" and the tribunal even agreed that he didn't choose to bump, he simply put himself in a position where he was going to make heavy contact and couldn't do anything but brace. Maynard's is the same in that regard.

"The rules have changed" is ridiculous. The rules were plenty to suspend Maynard but the Tribunal will fall over themselves to let a player off if a spot in the Grand Final is on the line.

If 4 is the new standard for this sort of incident, I'm absolutely fine with that. But we all know if this same bump occurred in semi final week, or during the season to a Brownlow favourite, the tribunal probably finds a way to get the player off. The club will challenge it in that scenario and the tribunal will accept basically whatever the club says to avoid rubbing a guy out for a GF or costing him a brownlow.

You are clearly not fine with it because you go straight into whataboutisms.

Your post is no better than I’m not racist, but…….

This is perhaps the biggest message I've ever seen AFL make. It was careless but given the speed and fact that his opponent was tackled in his direction. 4 weeks is savage.

Players are going to be expected to avoid contact at all costs.
I call it the Nick Daicos rule
If you approach a contest & there is any chance of body contact you must abort.
Like nick does

Remove this Banner Ad

Back