Review Hawthorn v North Round 5 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Should also add that Petrie's decision making kicking into forward 50 was horrific on TV. How was it at the ground?
Just as bad. Some of his kicking was just woeful. Anthony bad, if not worse. The bloke is well down on form.

We shot ourselves in the foot today. Decision making, especially early, was horrid. That and execution need work.

Great to see J-Mac fight back after a very poor first quarter. Busted his arse. Midfield were excellent in the guts but Hawks showed their maturity in the end with Hodge and Mitchell gett 19 touches in the last. Hunter just wonderful. Great player. Spud, McMahon and Grima we poor to good at times. They have certainly played better.

That was close to the best game i have seen Wells play. Hope he keeps it up.

Work in progress is still progressing.

Neither Sierakowski or McKenzie have the elite running capabilities of Anthony either.

True, but if they can win the contested ball rather than burn off an opponent, accelerate into space and hit a leading target then we'd be better off. I don't mind Anthony though.

So many positives but these losses are going to cost us. Shattering.

Our clearance work is superb - smashed them all day. Ziebell, Wells and Swallow all brilliant.

Thompson and Thomas have been outstanding all season. JMac starting to take his game to the next level.

Black looks a special talent. A lot more to his game than Hansen/Tarrant. Hopefully he stays in the side.

Daw kept misjudging the flight of the ball and running under it which was a tad worrying. Did provide a good contest every time he was in the right position though.

Disappointed but proud. Can't always have a winning team but you can always battle your arse off and they did that today. Not every player played well but they all put in. Still, losing isn't acceptable and two things really annoy me.

1) Poise. Can you teach it? Does it just come with experience? Either way we need some of it. One thing that stood out to me was that Hawthorn just seemed more composed when they got the ball and summed up the situations better.

2) Forward entries. We suck at this. Can anyone remember any instance of a North guys spotting up a leading target inside 50 and hitting him on the chest. The long bomb to stationary targets is useless. Is it the kick into the 50 or the options being presented. Maybe it relates to my first source of annoyance. Whatever the case I don't think we ever looked precise going forward.

Massive game against Port next week who obviously are flying. We're probably the best 1-4 team ever, but lose that and we're screwed.

You outplayed us for the majority of the game in most areas. I honestly thought we'd win by 5 goals plus
To be honest I am pretty annoyed about it. We had so many opportunities, but thats what good teams do, make you pay for stupidity and inadequacy. We're becoming better but I guess like everything else it's a long process.

Disappointed by proud. Can't always have a winning team but you can always battle your arse off and they did that today. Not every player played well but they all put in. Still, losing isn't acceptable and two things really annoy me.

1) Poise. Can you teach it? Does it just come with experience? Either way we need some of it. One thing that stood out to me was that Hawthorn just seemed more composed when they got the ball and summed up the situations better.

2) Forward entries. We suck at this. Can anyone remember any instance of a North guys spotting up a leading target inside 50 and hitting him on the chest. The long bomb to stationary targets is useless. Is it the kick into the 50 or the options being presented. Maybe it relates to my first source of annoyance. Whatever the case I don't think we ever looked precise going forward.

Pretty fair assessment.

Proud but gutted. Hopefully these type of games will harden us and the composure will come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He quite simply needs to learn how to kick.

Butchers it far too often, and that didn't change today.

Didn't butcher one today out of all 4 disposals so save your breath for when he butchers one next week.

If you're looking for a scapegoat today you haven't got many to choose from.

Firrito, maybe.

Probably more horrific than on TV.

Nah...more this on TV,

nails.jpg

There was nothing poor about Anthony's game as sub. He was involved in some great drives forward and if Drew had turned around quick enough Anthony would have lined up after the siren. Add to that the great mark he took and it is impossible to bag that performance.

Neither Sierakowski or McKenzie have the elite running capabilities of Anthony either.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Anthony. IMO he's been ineffective as the sub for X2 weeks in a row. Against Brisbane he played 3 quarters after coming on for Majak and only had 14 touches. Today he played 1 quarter for 4 touches. IMO he hasn't / doesn't provide the spark that a sub should.

Anthony is out of form and IMO he'll be dropped next week. I believe the selection committee will agree with me and I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is and give you $10 if he gets picked next week.

Great to see J-Mac fight back after a very poor first quarter.

May have been given a gentle rocket at quarter time.

That was close to the best game i have seen Wells play. Hope he keeps it up.

Top shelf.

Do you think he should have taken the shot on goal as his responsibility, or dished to Sammy Wright as he did?

Well you also must've signed off/agreed to making him a mod. The stupidity seems to be on your end. Congrats on the win, too. :):eek:

As Big Easy can attest to, the stupidity is always on my end.

May have been given a gentle rocket at quarter time.
Was thinking just that on the way home.

Top shelf.

Do you think he should have taken the shot on goal as his responsibility, or dished to Sammy Wright as he did?
Geez, good question. Look, in all the coaching manuals he did the right thing. Sammy was settled, running towards the goal, had time and is generally a very safe kick. So I say yes, right decision. Would've been happy for Wellsy to have taken it on though.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Anthony. IMO he's been ineffective as the sub for X2 weeks in a row. Against Brisbane he played 3 quarters after coming on for Majak and only had 14 touches. Today he played 1 quarter for 4 touches. IMO he hasn't / doesn't provide the spark that a sub should.

Anthony is out of form and IMO he'll be dropped next week. I believe the selection committee will agree with me and I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is and give you $10 if he gets picked next week.

I agree that he is not suited to being a sub and I agree that he is prone to butcher the ball.

The problem is we delisted Campbell and Anthony is probably the only player not in the starting 23 that can run out an entire quarter without a rest which is another key factor when picking a sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back