BigFooty Top 50 Favourite Albums - The Final Countdown!

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Aenima would make the top 10, it was my number 1. Mindblowing album.

As far as an album band go, they are really up there for producing standout 5 star classics. How man bands can honestly claim to have produced a generation defining album in two different decades?? Ok computer is widely regarded (by critics) as the standout album of the 90s, kid a the same for the 00s.

OK Computer yes, Kid A no, Kid A was a let down after OK Computer, pardon the pun. It was a decent album but no decade defining masterpiece like OK Computer.

Never understood the love for Radiohead. There'd been so much hype about how great they were back whenever it was, so I got hold of a copy of OK Computer to see what it was all about. Started off promisingly enough, then that awful whiny "singing" started and I didn't get much further.

You have to listen to OK Computer a lot to appreciate it's greatness.

Apart from Paranoid Android and Karma Police, which I knew and loved from hearing on Triple J, I hated OK Computer from the first few listens. I was expecting conventional catchy pop tracks like The Bends, I thought Radiohead were taking the piss and I was close to taking it back to the record store to exchange it. Then one by one the rest of the songs clicked and I realised what a masterpiece it was, I then became addicted to it and listened to it almost every day for about a year.

I thought I knew what a great album was until OK Computer came along and raised the bar, likewise Aenima.

I thought Aenima would make the top 10, it was my number 1. Mindblowing album.

OK Computer yes, Kid A no, Kid A was a let down after OK Computer, pardon the pun. It was a decent album but no decade defining masterpiece like OK Computer.

You have to listen to OK Computer a lot to appreciate it's greatness.

Apart from Paranoid Android and Karma Police, which I knew and loved from hearing on Triple J, I hated OK Computer from the first few listens. I was expecting conventional catchy pop tracks like The Bends, I thought Radiohead were taking the piss and I was close to taking it back to the record store to exchange it. Then one by one the rest of the songs clicked and I realised what a masterpiece it was, I then became addicted to it and listened to it almost every day for about a year.

I thought I knew what a great album was until OK Computer came along and raised the bar, likewise Aenima.

I was talking more about critics wise. It was quite a divisive album for a lot of OK Computer era fans I'll admit (very jarring and different) but it is very highly rated by music journalists ect. Publications like Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Sputnik Music (just from a quick google search) rate it number 1 for the decade. Subjectively you have to admit, it is widely considered one of the defining records for its decade. Like for example, I don't consider "The Dark Side of the Moon" the "best" album of the 70's or even the best Pink Floyd record, but objectively speaking, I can recognise that it is widely considered a defining album for that decade. There are only a select few albums that can claim that mantra from each decade of music, and Kid A is one of those from the 00's.

I'd say Nevermind by Nirvana was the defining record of the decade (90's). I think it is a solid album, but I never got caught on its hype. I actually rate In Utero as the superior Nirvana record. However, when that album dropped the music landscape shifted massively.

I'd say Nevermind by Nirvana was the defining record of the decade (90's). I think it is a solid album, but I never got caught on its hype. I actually rate In Utero as the superior Nirvana record. However, when that album dropped the music landscape shifted massively.

Yeah I agree, it went from shitty early 90s pop/dance music like Vanilla Ice to grunge/rock music after Nevermind came along. Not my favourite 90s album but definitely the most influential.

That was kind what I was referring to when I said decade defining albums. I also prefer in utero and some days the bends edges out ok computer. But I absolutely understand the significance of the album.

The Bends will always be my favorite Radiohead album. Yet to really get into any post OK Computer.
Yeah I stopped with the one after Kid A. Might give In Rainbows a listen after reading this list. Hard band to listen to but. Brilliant, but pretty bleak stuff.

Yeah I stopped with the one after Kid A. Might give In Rainbows a listen after reading this list. Hard band to listen to but. Brilliant, but pretty bleak stuff.
In Rainbows is almost their best album. Almost. I think I had it as number #2 on my list behind OK Computer

Sounds good. I loved There There and 2 + 2 = 5, brought the singles when they came out( remember them!) I find it hard following a band through their whole career. Not sure if it's my attention span or what.

#10 - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Year: 1991
Genre: Funk Rock
red_hot_chili_peppers_blood_sugar_sex_magik-300x300.png

#9 - Grace
Artist: Jeff Buckley
Year: 1994
Genre: Alt Rock
Jeff-Buckley-Grace-300x300.jpg

#8 - Wish You Were Here
Artist: Pink Floyd
Year: 1975
Genre: Prog Rock
cover-300x296.jpg

#7 - Ten
Artist: Pearl Jam
Year: 1991
Genre: Alt Rock/HardRock
Pearl-Jam-Ten-thumb-300x313-40385.jpg

#6 - Untitled (Led Zeppelin IV)
Artist: Led Zeppelin
Year: 1971
Genre: Hard Rock
led_zeppelin_iv-300x300.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Code:
50. Blood on the Tracks - 60 points
49. Songs for the Deaf - 61 points
48. tie
- Since I Left You - 64 points
- Rubber Soul - 64 points
46. Lateralus - 65 points
45. tie
- Superunknown - 66 points
- Origin of Symmetry - 66 points
43. The Wall - 70 points
42. The Colour and the Shape - 71 points
41. tie
- The Bends - 73 points
- Rumours - 73 points
39. Marquee Moon - 77 points
38. The Stone Roses - 78 points
37. The Marshall Mathers LP - 79 points
36. tie
- Absolution - 80 points
- Siamese Dream - 80 points
34. Toxicity - 81 points
33. London Calling - 83 points
32 - tie
- Born to Run - 88 points
- Is This It - 88 points
30. Dirt - 90 points
29. ...And Justice for All - 95 points
28. Californication - 100 points
27. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness - 102 points
26. Are You Experinced - 104 points
25. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - 105 points
24. (What's the Story) Morning Glory - 106 points
23. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 110 points
22. The Beatles (The White Album) - 111 points
21. Nevermind - 116 points
20. Illmatic - 117 points
18. Funeral - 126 points 
18. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy- 127 points 
17. Appetite for Destruction - 129 points 
16. Silent Alarm - 130 points 
15. Exile On Main St. - 133 points 
14. Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not - 138 points 
13. In Rainbows - 139 points 
12. Aenima - 140 points 
11. Kid A - 144 points
10. tie
- Blood Sugsr Sex Magik - 151 points 
- Grace - 151 points 
8. Wish You Were Here - 164 points 
7. Ten - 186 points 
6. Untitled (Led Zeppelin IV) - 188 points

Tomorrow: #5-1

10-6 All classics, good choices there. Happy to see Grace in particular get in the top 10.
So top 5 is Nevermind, OK Computer, Revolver, What's the Story? Something else

Dark Side of The Moon?

Wow! Surprised (pleasantly) to see wish you were here in there! Scrolling through the lists I thought I was a rare voter for it. Amazing album, my personal pink floyd favourite! :)

So top 5 is Nevermind, OK Computer, Revolver, What's the Story? Something else

What's the Story has been and gone as has nevermind.

None of mine in the top fifty. Actually surprised by that but no real issues with the ones that made it. Apart from Grace, honestly think it is one of the most over rated albums out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back