BigFooty Top 50 Favourite Albums - The Final Countdown!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah first two albums were pretty easy to guess, but good choices. DSOTM was my only choice that actually made it into the countdown :p

Thanks a lot for doing this Marlowe , now it's time to go listen to some new music from this list :D

Obviously I don't know what the next two are, but I'm very happy that Revolver is higher than some of the other Beatles albums. I'm sick of the big debate being between The White Album and Sgt Peppers. Revolver beats them both and then some.
I think i voted Revolver #3 in my list. There was a big debate earlier over Abbey Road v Revolver. I like Revolver because it was their last raw sounding record. Not as many strings and so forth

Great list. 7 of my top 10 made the countdown. I missed;

Smash - The Offspring
Automatic for the People - R.E.M
Pearl Jam - VS

And two of those made it in the top 80.

There's definitely a ton of alums I hadn't/haven't listened right through until this week. Can't say I had even heard of The Avalanches until this week either. :/
Some more numbers,

Bands with the most entries:
The Beatles - 5
Radiohead - 4
Pink Floyd - 2
Metallica - 2
Muse - 2
Red Hot Chili Peppers - 2
The Smashing Pumpkins - 2
Tool - 2

Numbers by Decades:
1960s - 6
1970s - 10
1980s - 4
1990s - 16
2000s - 13
2010s - 1

Nobody likes the 80s.

Both Dark Side and Ok Computer finished second or first nine times. Dark Side edges it with six first place nominations versus Ok Computer's six second place nominations.

Great work Marlowe :thumbsu:

My #1 and #2 were ranked #2 and #3. Dark Side of the Moon is a phenomenal album though and worthy of the number 1 spot.

Indeed. Thanks for the hard work Marlowe.

Only got 1 album in there... :/

I think i voted Revolver #3 in my list. There was a big debate earlier over Abbey Road v Revolver. I like Revolver because it was their last raw sounding record. Not as many strings and so forth

Yeah, I agree with you about the rawness and I think that Revolver has better songs and a really good album flow.

I'm guessing the scoring system of adding ten points for being in two or more lists was redundant based on how many people voted. But I'd be interested to know if the order of the top 50 would've changed much if each vote only got 1 point regardless of where it was in an individual's top 10. Is that easy to work out?

Totally echo this.

Well done sir, well done.

Wasn't too disappointed in the final list even though I knew there would be a number of artists that I don't really listen to appearing (should use this list to go off and listen to some of that stuff and broaden my horizons!!).

However, one area I do think I know a little bit about is the Madchester & Britpop genres and it was very surprising to see "...Morning Glory" get up over "Definitely Maybe".

Can't help but wonder(wall) why that is?!?! :confused:

Great list Marlowe, a worthy Top 5, and thanks for putting this countdown together.

Can we see 51-100 (don't need the album coverwork, know what a pain those are to put in ;)) or does it get too 'thin' down the bottom?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for putting the list together Marlowe, great work. Best I get me a copy of this little Pink Floyd album.

Would've liked to have seen OK Computer no.1 but I can't complain with DSOTM taking the honours, great album and groundbreaking like OK Computer was back in it's day.

Can't really complain about the Beatles being up there either but they're not the sort of albums I'd normally listen to. The only Beatles album I own is Sgt Pepper's and the main reason I bought it was for the cool album cover and booklet I got with it.

Totally echo this.

Well done sir, well done.

Wasn't too disappointed in the final list even though I knew there would be a number of artists that I don't really listen to appearing (should use this list to go off and listen to some of that stuff and broaden my horizons!!).

However, one area I do think I know a little bit about is the Madchester & Britpop genres and it was very surprising to see "...Morning Glory" get up over "Definitely Maybe".

Can't help but wonder(wall) why that is?!?! :confused:

Yeah I rate Definitely Maybe ahead of What's the Story as it has more rock'n roll songs with a harder edge. What's the Story has catchier pop songs which I guess is why more people prefer ir.

The rest of their albums aren't worth bothering with apart from a handful of songs.

Ugh! Can't say I'm a massive fan of any of the top 10 at all. The bottom 20 were all okay. Radiohead, Metallica, The Beatles and RHCP are all poo.

I only own 4 of the albums in that list.

Ah that was my problem, I think about half of mine were 80s albums.

I am thinking maybe next we should do a top 50 for just the 80s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back