Footy Classified special 9:30pm EST 27/08 - better Episode in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL @ Bomber: "We weren't doing anything! We were so well behaved!" (re the massive leaking they did to the HUN. Clueless or lying, no other options.) LOL

"Hmmm." Headnod, headnod.

Firstly demetriou has so much less skin in this game
Secondly he is not on the defensive
Thirdly, all the journos tip toe around him
Fourth he is not really human

This is Andrew "he must recuse himself and is unfit to judge the case" Demetriou we're talking about? Or Andrew "its my competition to run and this is the biggest issue to affect the league Im responsible for and half the goddamn country is waiting for this" Demetriou?

shiiiiiiiit
hows the agression
I reckon that is nothing short of heroic.

I wouldn't have said aggression, more desperation. Please Christ let me speak; let me ask my own questions out loud; you journo's have been following this mess, can you help me make sense of it?

Best ****ing TV I've seen in a long time. Not because I hate Essendon (although I do) but because the man was a pure raw nerve and managed (somewhat) to hold his ground against a group of vultures. Also, people can bag Lloyd, but if the good cop wasn't there, I think the whole thing would have collapsed.

Although Thompson was a little garbled and clearly harrowed, a lot what he said made sense if you listened closely:
- No-one, not even us knows what the players took; we admit that and accept punishment based on such matters
- Essendon weren't strong enough to keep a hold of a cutting edge program (as other clubs might be)
- The AFL sat us down and told us what would happen, we bargained certain terms but never allowed to put our case of innocence where we thought applicable
- A whole bunch of shit may have gone down that I was unaware of. Ask Dank, or hell, maybe the players
- The AFL have know a lot for a long time and rather then work with us they set out to destroy us. Surely there's a better way to do this in the future.

On that alone: Wow-wee

I'm sure people will continue to pick his wording to shit, and maybe he dropped the odd subtle bomb out of step with what others Bombers have claimed. But golly what an effort to front those flogs after two days of stark maddness.

If I have had one enduring opinion of this supplement scandal it has been the supreme arrogance of the Essendon football club, but that interview reflected a club both pummeled and humbled. Remorseful? Not sure yet.

Stating the obvious, i know, but it struck me tonight that the players in this Shakespearian tragedy are just ... footballers. Dumb, poorly educated, ignorant, testosterone laden, egocentric jocks.

And how sublime was Caro! Never could watch FC in the past because of the way Lyon, Hutchison, et al, were so condescending towards her. My, my, how things have changed - she is very much the managing partner now. Where's that Walkley?

They are hopeless and nine has given lyon and hutch a program each

Bomber has serious balls for doing this after a day like today and knowing full well that he would get owned and look silly.

Also whoever convinced him to come on they are ******* masters of manipulation.

This is a must watch for any footy fan.

They wouldn't have needed to convince him, he's got huge balls and shirks nothing.

Bomber Thompson (and Doc Reid) are the only ones who come out of this saga with their integrity intact.

My opinion of Bomber has only improved over the last few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the tweets from Aussie athletes overseas (just showing Meres, but the others are online) whilst a little misguided are interesting. Shows this is being looked at by other athletes, and if thats the case you would assume WADA would be also monitoring (other athletes interest and responses)

Was interesting (apart from Lloyd) the other three still expected infractions.

- The AFL have know a lot for a long time and rather then work with us they set out to destroy us. Surely there's a better way to do this in the future.

Good post, well said.

I just quoted this fragment of Thompson's thinking because I reckon it reflects of a lot of Essendon hindsight. In fairness to the AFL, when they entered the arena in February they would have been expecting to find a club busily minimising its liability, spinning every story to make themselves look good, maybe even destroying incriminating evidence if things were that bad. And Vlad would have deployed blokes like Clothier and Haddad to ferret out the juicy details, just in case leverage was needed against Essendon later.

And it would have taken a while (maybe months) to realise the true state of play, whereupon they would have been absolutely gobsmacked by how much Essendon didn't know about what was going on inside their own four walls. Even leaving aside the club's poor PR performances with the "known unknowns" (like the identities of injected substances), the strong impression from Thompson's interview is that Essendon *still* don't know what they don't know! To listen to him talk about Essendon getting so many *surprises* from the ASADA interim report is to realise what an absolutely disgraceful shambles that supplement program was.

If the AFL had known from the start how stupid and incompetent Essendon was, no doubt they would have handled the situation significantly differently. But the club chose to filibuster, which made the situation much worse than it needed to be, and Essendon should recognise its responsibility for that.

Thompson doesn't quite believe there was a problem because Hird and Dank clearly kept a lot from him. He didn't even now the injections kept going on and doesn't really rate them as significant to performance.
Be surprised if he could senior coach next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I believe Bomber, and I get the impression he genuinely wanted the report explored and investigated thoroughly and deeply, and not swept under the carpet like they're attempting to do.

Bomber and Reid were clearly frozen out of the program, and I almost believe he genuinely doesn't know what happens, and wnts to know.

But the club chose to filibuster, which made the situation much worse than it needed to be, and Essendon should recognise its responsibility for that.

And that's the key, indeed.

Then the idiotic decision to throw Evans under the bus and get Mr Superhero Hardarse in to show everyone how to put the AFL in its place, who proved to be exactly the last thing they needed due to his gross incompetence in the area combined with his Hird-sized ego.

Morons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back