Other Lawn bowls

Remove this Banner Ad

I got the shits with fielding all day in cricket and someone convinced me of bowls by pointing out you can drink if you like while you go... the ol pennant on a weekend can be a bit top serious for that, especially in the higher grades.

I'm a Leopold, 1st year here so not sure what the standard is like or what grade I'll be in yet.. practice match this weekend but fair to say I'll be at the cattery
I've heard Leopold is a good club Afew of there bowlers came down to eastern park in the off season to play 2-4-2 on satuadays.They seemed like good bunch of people,Team has good colours too.

I've heard Leopold is a good club Afew of there bowlers came down to eastern park in the off season to play 2-4-2 on satuadays.They seemed like good bunch of people,Team has good colours too.
Green and gold are good.. the rings loom good on my Navy blue bowls with a cats logo as well

Shaneo yes many new bowlers a seduced by the allure of drinks with bowls! Our season here starts in a month so about to really hit the greens for hopefully a successful season. I believe that Geelong have a premier league set up also like that of Melbourne?

Shaneo yes many new bowlers a seduced by the allure of drinks with bowls! Our season here starts in a month so about to really hit the greens for hopefully a successful season. I believe that Geelong have a premier league set up also like that of Melbourne?
somewhat.... there is a geelong/Ballarat premier League... I think has 5 teams from geelong and 5 from the rat... Bottom team from each region gets relegated and top team from div 1 goes up

Run a 2-4-2 championship at our club and it is extremely popular comp. Good way for new bowlers to learn different positions
2-4-2 is a good way to practice as well... gets you paying different show in a competitive environment

Yeah my club runs a 2-4-2 comp over winter. Last year was my first season of pennants and a number of people recommended I play it over winter this year but I became a dad in May so I've not had the time. Have been trying to get down there to start practicing again but the weather has been crappy for the past few weeks and the greens have been closed whenever I have been available. Oh well.

Yeah my club runs a 2-4-2 comp over winter. Last year was my first season of pennants and a number of people recommended I play it over winter this year but I became a dad in May so I've not had the time. Have been trying to get down there to start practicing again but the weather has been crappy for the past few weeks and the greens have been closed whenever I have been available. Oh well.
1st congrats on becoming a dad... it does make it difficult to get down to the club though, I stopped when we had our little fella 2 years ago and this year is my 1st back and I have struggled to get into it yet. My club has has 4 practice matches and I've only managed one.. with me going to be out all arvo every Saturday in summer basically I'm making sure I am home as much as I can until then!!
Season starts in week after next so I probably should at least practice once this week... or next

Yeah, thanks.

I have this grand plan of practicing on Wednesday nights on the way home from work - corporate bowls starts at 7pm so I would be off the greens and home by that time. But I think if it happens once every three weeks I would be pretty happy. Lucky I'm only playing bottom division so there won't be any real pressure on me. And frankly, it'd be hard to begrudge a guy for wanting to spend more time with his wife and baby.

Yeah, thanks.

I have this grand plan of practicing on Wednesday nights on the way home from work - corporate bowls starts at 7pm so I would be off the greens and home by that time. But I think if it happens once every three weeks I would be pretty happy. Lucky I'm only playing bottom division so there won't be any real pressure on me. And frankly, it'd be hard to begrudge a guy for wanting to spend more time with his wife and baby.

I'm planning on playing top grade at my club so I need to pull my finger out and hit the greens! I'm at a new club as well so probably really do need to practice

Our association started off on the weekend. Don't know about the other associations but ours has remained at 4 rinks in Division One. Region Sides Championships and everything else is at 3 rinks. Don't ask me why because the answer is too intricate for me to describe here!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our association started off on the weekend. Don't know about the other associations but ours has remained at 4 rinks in Division One. Region Sides Championships and everything else is at 3 rinks. Don't ask me why because the answer is too intricate for me to describe here!
Which association is that?

I'm playing in my clubs top grade (which is division 2) in Geelong... we have 4 rinks, we started 2 weeks ago as well.. i believe division 11 have only 3 rinks but that's more a numbers thing.

I had heard talk of it all going to 3 rinks... makes each grade stronger as the 4 that drop out of the top grade will be stronger bowlers in the lower grade and it obviously works it way down across the grades

Wondering how the pennant season has started for new and old bowlers alike. We just had our inter-association match the Sunday just gone. Murray Valley, Northern District, Sunraysia and Tyrrell facing off. Beautiful greens at Swan Hill were enjoyed by the bowlers and many beverages also afterwards!

Wondering how the pennant season has started for new and old bowlers alike. We just had our inter-association match the Sunday just gone. Murray Valley, Northern District, Sunraysia and Tyrrell facing off. Beautiful greens at Swan Hill were enjoyed by the bowlers and many beverages also afterwards!
I'm playing for Leopold in the geelong region association... division 2 (leopolds top team)
We are battling early.. have gone loss-win-loss
Need to win this week as we don't want to get 1 and 3 and then be chasing the pack for finals

Every game so far I have played has been on synthetic so looking forward to getting onto grass at some point!!

How did we all go this weekend lads?

We had a win, 3 rinks up (mine down), all rinks were down are arvo tea so good result.
Personally I'm struggling a bit, itching to get on a grass green, every game this year has been on synthetic so far, I'd had 2 years of and probably only played on synthetic 4-5 times a season so it's almost like learning to bowl again

My rink went down by 12 but we won the aggregate. In fact, all four of our divisions had a win. The bottom division won both of their rinks: 49-6 and 44-6.

My rink went down by 12 but we won the aggregate. In fact, all four of our divisions had a win. The bottom division won both of their rinks: 49-6 and 44-6.
What division do you play? My rink lost by 9, I've been leading which if it gets me in the top side I'm ok worth but would prefer playing 2nd,..

Massive win by your bottom grade!!

What division do you play? My rink lost by 9, I've been leading which if it gets me in the top side I'm ok worth but would prefer playing 2nd,..

Massive win by your bottom grade!!
I'm leading in fourth.

One of the consequences of me and another "younger" guys being promoted (on potential, I believe) is that it left our sixth division incredibly strong. The guy that won our novices comp last year was playing as a lead, for instance. And one of the thirds spent time in third division last year. But once people in higher divisions start missing games and having to be replaced from below, and some of this year's crop of new bowlers get a chance I suspect they'll drop off a bit.

Good work boys! Our team won each rink but it was hard. No more than 3 shots separated each rink. Sitting on top but still to play the premiers of the last 8 years.

Good work boys! Our team won each rink but it was hard. No more than 3 shots separated each rink. Sitting on top but still to play the premiers of the last 8 years.
Premiers of the last 8 years!!!!

No relegation/promotion system there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back