Opinion End of 2014 ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are really underestimating Collingwood. I still think they are a good premiership chance. They have a lot of young guns and a lot of experienced monsters of the AFL. Remember, Swan, Pendlebury, Cloke and Beams are all at their top periods in their career. Collingwood could very well win the premiership next year but I'm not sure they'll play like it. Anyway, I constructed a ladder after the fixture was released earlier today. So here it is:

1. Port Adelaide (17-5-0) | Will be the surprise club this year. They are a very young but great side, if not this year, then certainly in one of the years to come)
2. Sydney Swans (17-5-0) | Still have the best side in the competition and with the addition of Buddy, it's hard to not see them in the top 4.
3. Hawthorn (16-6-0) | Still a champion side but won't be as great as the past three seasons.
4. Collingwood (16-6-0) | Piss easy fixture after round 7. Only top 4 side they have twice is Hawthorn. They also get to host Freo and Port Adelaide.
5. North Melbourne (16-6-0) | Capable of anything. And the inclusion of Dal Santo will only make them better. Drew Petrie to kick 50+ goals up forward. Ziebell an early Brownlow fancy.
6. Fremantle (15-7-0) | I think everybody overrates them. They are a great side but I don't think they will be top 4 next season. Tough draw and with Pavlich, Sandilands, McPharlin and the new recruit Sylvia already very old, can't see Freo being a REAL flag threat.
7. Richmond (14-8-0) | Difficult to pick but I'd say they are still a top 8 side. Capable of making the top 4. Also capable of missing the top 8. Have a 1st round clash at Gold Coast. Will be difficult.
8. Geelong (14-8-0) | Very difficult for the Cats. With a lot of guns gone (J-Pod, Chapman and Hunt), the Cats will still be impressive enough to make the 8 but don't expect the Cats to be top 4 next year.

-----------------------------------------

9. Essendon (11-11-0) | One word: Overrated. They lost Crameri and dumped Davey in the forward line. They will struggle bit time after the 2013 drug scandal. Bomber Thompson won't be enough to lift the Bombers to finals.
10. Adelaide (10-12-0) | With the recruits of Betts and Podsiadly, Adelaide's forward line will structure perfectly with Lynch, Walker and several others but the problem is the back-line. Need to improve. Also lost Bernie Vince to Melbourne.
11. Carlton (9-13-0) | Also overrated. Shouldn't have played finals last season and next season will be poor for the Blues. Daisy Thomas will be injured for the majority of the season.
12. Gold Coast (9-13-0) | Capable of the top eight but won't make it. Will definitely win 5 of the first 9 and sometime during the season, will take down a giant, most likely Hawthorn at home.
13. West Coast (9-13-0) | Their fixture was easier than expected so this is the reason for all the wins. I don't rate West Coast. Shocking team at the moment. Worsfold gone will hurt them as well.
14. Brisbane Lions (8-14-0) | Wish I could put them higher. They are a side that are capable of many upsets but can also lose easy games. Capable of the top eight but only Voss could do that at the moment.
15. Western Bulldogs (7-15-0) | Still not that great. They received Crameri and have Griffen at his career high form but won't be a challenger at any point during the season.
16. GWS Giants (5-17-0) | Kevin Sheedy gone is actually good for GWS. Sheedy had no idea what he was doing. The Giants will improve but will still have a poor season. Have an easy finish of the season.
17. Melbourne (3-19-0) | Under Paul Roos, despire the recruit of Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross, Melbourne will still finish very low. Signs of improvement will be visible though. They won't lose a game by more than 60 points.
18. St. Kilda (2-20-0) | Lost Saad, Koschitzke, Milne in the forward line, McEvoy in the ruck and Dal Santo in the midfield. The only way is down for St. Kilda. Only have Riewoldt and Milera functioning the forward line. Steven will continue to impress though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALS:
Port Adelaide v Collingwood (Revenge!)
Sydney Swans v Hawthorn (Just too good for Hawthorn)
North Melbourne v Geelong (Close game)
Fremantle v Richmond (Freo will choke)

Port Adelaide v North Melbourne (less than 18 point margin)
Hawthorn v Richmond (Will break the streak by about 4-5 goals)

Collingwood v Hawthorn (Will finally break the streak in another prelim thriller)
Sydney Swans v Port Adelaide (Not experienced enough, Port Adelaide)

Collingwood v Sydney Swans (NSM: Steele Sidebottom | Win by 28 points)

No they didn't, Rodney Eade was coach then and he didn't make finals.

Sydney finished 7th in 2001 under Rodney Eade after round 12 then Roos took over. 2002 was Roos' first full season as coach and Sydney finished 11th. I think you might have to look up the facts first.

Sydney finished 7th in 2001 under Rodney Eade after round 12 then Roos took over. 2002 was Roos' first full season as coach and Sydney finished 11th. I think you might have to look up the facts first.

Incorrect. Roos took over in round 12 2002, not round 12 2001. Roos first full season as coach was 2003

1.Fremantle
2.Hawthorn
3.Sydney
4.Richmond (Richmond and Geelong will be fighting for 4th spot)
5.Geelong (Richmond and Geelong will be fighting for 4th spot)
6.Collingwood
7.Port Adelaide
8.North Melbourne
9.West Coast
10.Carlton
11.Essendon
12.Adelaide
13.Brisbane
14.Western Bulldogs
15.Gold Coast
16.Melbourne
17.St Kilda
18.GWS

Hawthorn
Sydney
Fremantle
North Melbourne

Geelong
Richmond
Essendon
Adelaide
------------------
Carlton
Collingwood
Gold Coast
Port Adelaide
West Coast
Bulldogs
Brisbane
Melbourne
GWS
St Kilda

Freo
Hawthorn
Sydney - Forward line guns it, but start to show cracks in 2nd half of season, Goodes not good for much longer
Richmond - Cant see any downside going into 2014, if Jack gets injured they will struggle to make the 8
Adelaide - Manage to go the season without any season ending injuries to key position players, forwardline works again with Betts, Pods, Jenkins and Tex injected in.
Geelong - dont underestimate the loss of senior players long term
Collingwood - same for these guys
Essendon - idk probably should be higher, pending ASADA/WADA outcome. If nothing horrid comes of that, they will be top 6 for sure.

Norf - Harvey and Petrie start to show age among others. Continue to look good but be disappointing.
Port - Everything doesnt go there way this year, they lose a showdown, key players get injuries, others out of form. Typical 2nd year blues. Everyone pays them out saying they only made finals last year from dream draw.
Dogs - Woof up the ladder
Suns - Show a lot of promise but GAJ finally starts to fade.
Brisbane - Would be 8th contender if they hadn't lost so many players. Dissappointing year for them.
West Coast - never really rated them. Very reliant on 2 players.
Melbourne - s**t but less s**t
GWS - Same as melbourne but still stink
Saints - Several years of horrible pain ahead, sorry guys.

Freo
Hawthorn
Sydney - Forward line guns it, but start to show cracks in 2nd half of season, Goodes not good for much longer
Richmond - Cant see any downside going into 2014, if Jack gets injured they will struggle to make the 8
Adelaide - Manage to go the season without any season ending injuries to key position players, forwardline works again with Betts, Pods, Jenkins and Tex injected in.
Geelong - dont underestimate the loss of senior players long term
Collingwood - same for these guys
Essendon - idk probably should be higher, pending ASADA/WADA outcome. If nothing horrid comes of that, they will be top 6 for sure.

Norf - Harvey and Petrie start to show age among others. Continue to look good but be disappointing.
Port - Everything doesnt go there way this year, they lose a showdown, key players get injuries, others out of form. Typical 2nd year blues. Everyone pays them out saying they only made finals last year from dream draw.
Dogs - Woof up the ladder
Suns - Show a lot of promise but GAJ finally starts to fade.
Brisbane - Would be 8th contender if they hadn't lost so many players. Dissappointing year for them.
West Coast - never really rated them. Very reliant on 2 players.
Melbourne - s**t but less s**t
GWS - Same as melbourne but still stink
Saints - Several years of horrible pain ahead, sorry guys.

Adelaide won't make the 8...

Always say I won't fall for this, but I inevitably do. Here we go...

1. Freo - Another summer of Lyon nailing his players with his gameplan. Had so many injuries last year, still finished top 4.
2. Sydney - Buddy's best is behind him, but still a great addition. Midfield still very strong.
3. Hawthorn - Midfield starting to age. Premiership hangover.
4. North - Midfield still so young, many will hit 75-100 games next year. Look out for Aaron Black. Dal Santo.
5. Adelaide - So much quality in this side. Massive underachievers last year.
6. Geelong - Too great a club to fall too far.
7. Collingwood - Young players need another year, defence shaky without Shaw.
8. Richmond - Great top 12 players, still think they fall away a lot after that. Vickery will stand up.

9. Gold Coast - Natural improvement. Will win most at home.
10. Essendon - Turmoil, new coach, etc.
11. Carlton - Can't believe they didn't trade in a KPF. Another year closer to the end for Judd. Daisy no guarantee to play much.
12. Port Adelaide - Second year blues for Ken and co. Had a lot go right for them last year. Will be a good side.
13. Melbourne - Everything going right, I think it's very possible. Forward line potentially very dangerous. Some midfield depth.
14. Western Bulldogs - Think the end of the year flattered them. Still a way off. Great developing midfield.
15. West Coast - Not sure why any of us rated them so high this year. List is actually pretty average. NN injuries? Cox ageing.
16. St Kilda - New coach (hopefully Choc), still have Riewoldt. Solid trade pick ups.
17. Brisbane Lions - Exodus, off field hell, long long way away.
18. GWS - Some mature age inclusions will help, midfield still too small / young.

I think Freo will be the best team by a country mile next year, will only lose 3-4 games. Sydney have lost some champs and depth , so difficult to go back-to-back for a Buddy-less Hawthorn and the rest are a fair way back.

Adelaide won't make the 8...

With Tex back, Betts in, Jenkins/Pods in, their forward line looks a LOT better, and the team suddenly looks a lot more imposing. They were ruined by injury this year, they are a good chance to make the 8 next year.

1 Fremantle - will keep improving, revenge on their mind
2 Sydney - culture, culture, culture
3 Hawthorn - flag hangover but still strong
4 North - wishful thinking but possible
5 Collingwood - easy draw, free ride from AFL
6 Geelong - culture will keep them in the mix
7 Adelaide - fewer injuries should see them improve
8 Port - Hinkley is a genius

9 Richmond - grossly overrated, thin list, lack of leadership
10 West Coast - list looking very thin, on a downward trajectory
11 Carlton - Judd can't keep carying them
12 Gold Coast - big natural improvement
13 Essendon - one man team, ASADA will come knocking
14 Bulldogs - developing but inconsistent
15 St Kilda - back to the drawing board
16 Brisbane - why did all their best young players want to leave?
17 Melbourne - not even Roos can sort out the cultural malaise
18 GWS - a bit more competitive

My thoughts on what will happen next year
1. Hawthorn (Range 1-3) (18-4)
2. Sydney (Range 1-3) (17-5)
3. Fremantle (Range 1-4) (17-5)
4. Collingwood (Range 4-9) (16-6)

5. Richmond (Range 5-10) (15-7)
6. Geelong (Range 5-8) (15-7)
7. Essendon (Range 5-8) (12-10)
8. Adelaide (Range 6-11) (12-10)

9. North Melbourne (Range 6-9) (12-10)
10. Gold Coast (Range 9-12) (11-1-10)
11. Port Adelaide (Range 8-11) (11-1-10)
12. Western Bulldogs (Range 11-14) (7-15)
13. Carlton (Range 10-13) (7-15)
14. West Coast (Range 12-15) (7-15)
15. Brisbane (Range 14-17) (5-17)
16. GWS (Range 13-17) (4-18)
17. St. Kilda (Range 16-18) (3-19)
18. Melbourne (Range 17-18) (2-20)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does everyone think brisbanes going down. Yes, I know they lost five great youngsters but will managge to a respectable range of 9-13

The youngsters were more depth at this stage so will probably hurt more in 2-3 years than this year. The tough fixture however will make it a very difficult year

Fremantle (range 1-4) -- will have motivation to go one step further
Hawthorn (range 1-4) -- even without Buddy too much class to drop very far
Sydney (range 2-6) -- unconvinced they're the top two lock many predict. It's up to Goodes having one last great year
Carlton (range 3-8) -- am stoked at how much improvement we have made to the list. People are underestimating the ins/outs thus far.
Richmond (range 3-8) -- natural improvement will see them rise
Essendon (range 4-10) -- take away the PED talk and realize that they ARE a good football team
North Melbourne (range 4-10) -- over hyped right now but a team that will challenge in 2-3 years
Geelong (range 4-10) -- they're due for a bit of a tumble but it'll be gradual
--------
Collingwood (range 4-10) -- too much expectations on their rising crop of young guns
Gold Coast (range 6-12) -- too many good teams for them to get into the eight but it wont be for a lack of effort
Port Adelaide (range 6-12) -- second year blues. Expecting a reasonable year from Butcher which could help
Western Bulldogs (range 8-14) -- continual improvement from the Dogs. Maintaining their status as not an easy win. Will smack some tired/injured teams this year but fall short
Adelaide (range 8-14) -- not a great team but have some high profile players who can do damage
West Coast (range 9-15) -- to think that they were a mortal lock for the top four 12-18 months ago. A quick rebuilding year.
Brisbane (range 9-15) -- the poorest of the non-lame duck teams.
Melbourne (range 16-18) -- As much as I'd like to see the Dees succeed under Roos I believe he'll be forgiven for one s**t season
St. Kilda (range 16-18) -- Gutted that Nick Riewoldt's going to end his career over the next couple of years on such a talent barren team. Deserves better.
GWS (range 16-18) -- Improvement from this year but still not enough to get off of the bottom.

A bit of Carlton bias in there perhaps but I believe we're a much better team heading into 2014 than we were this year. Compare the outgoings (and how many games they played this year) to our incomings and you'll see a dramatic difference. Not so concerned about lacking a KPF if MM believes Watson, in his fourth season, is ready for a KPD spot leaving Henderson to go forward.

The youngsters were more depth at this stage so will probably hurt more in 2-3 years than this year. The tough fixture however will make it a very difficult year

I've tipped the Lions to make the eight next year. Even though they have a tough draw, they've shown this year how tough they can be at the GABBA. I reckon Brisbane can potentially win most of their home games next year.

Why does everyone think brisbanes going down. Yes, I know they lost five great youngsters but will managge to a respectable range of 9-13

And only one of the youngsters was best 22. Some people are clueless!

My revised ladder after the completion of trades, drafting and fixture.

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. Geelong
4. Freo
5. Richmond
6. Hawthorn
7. Carlton
8. North
9. Port
10. Adelaide
11. Brisbane
12. Bulldogs
13. Gold Coast
14. Essendon
15. GWS
16. West Coast
17. Melbourne
18. Saints

Fremantle (range 1-4) -- will have motivation to go one step further
Hawthorn (range 1-4) -- even without Buddy too much class to drop very far
Sydney (range 2-6) -- unconvinced they're the top two lock many predict. It's up to Goodes having one last great year
Carlton (range 3-8) -- am stoked at how much improvement we have made to the list. People are underestimating the ins/outs thus far.
Richmond (range 3-8) -- natural improvement will see them rise
Essendon (range 4-10) -- take away the PED talk and realize that they ARE a good football team
North Melbourne (range 4-10) -- over hyped right now but a team that will challenge in 2-3 years
Geelong (range 4-10) -- they're due for a bit of a tumble but it'll be gradual
--------
Collingwood (range 4-10) -- too much expectations on their rising crop of young guns
Gold Coast (range 6-12) -- too many good teams for them to get into the eight but it wont be for a lack of effort
Port Adelaide (range 6-12) -- second year blues. Expecting a reasonable year from Butcher which could help
Western Bulldogs (range 8-14) -- continual improvement from the Dogs. Maintaining their status as not an easy win. Will smack some tired/injured teams this year but fall short
Adelaide (range 8-14) -- not a great team but have some high profile players who can do damage
West Coast (range 9-15) -- to think that they were a mortal lock for the top four 12-18 months ago. A quick rebuilding year.
Brisbane (range 9-15) -- the poorest of the non-lame duck teams.
Melbourne (range 16-18) -- As much as I'd like to see the Dees succeed under Roos I believe he'll be forgiven for one s**t season
St. Kilda (range 16-18) -- Gutted that Nick Riewoldt's going to end his career over the next couple of years on such a talent barren team. Deserves better.
GWS (range 16-18) -- Improvement from this year but still not enough to get off of the bottom.

A bit of Carlton bias in there perhaps but I believe we're a much better team heading into 2014 than we were this year. Compare the outgoings (and how many games they played this year) to our incomings and you'll see a dramatic difference. Not so concerned about lacking a KPF if MM believes Watson, in his fourth season, is ready for a KPD spot leaving Henderson to go forward.

Eh. Carlton finished in the 1-6 range due to their Semi-Final appearance and therefore have to play 2-3 other top 6 sides from 2013, from memory, they have Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Port Adelaide and St. Kilda. I don't reckon Carlton can make the top eight. That is the negative from getting to the Semi's. And if you ask me, Carlton do not deserve to play finals next year after this year. But hey, they can surprise us just like in 2009 and 2011 but I'm just giving my opinion.

18. West Coast. Sorry Eagles fans, but some key players that have served the club well are gone, John Worsfold has moved on, and now, a new coach will come in and have to build his team with limited resources. I don't doubt the talent the club has, but having recently finished last a few years ago, this sudden drop is not without precedent.
Loling hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back