Opinion End of 2014 ladder

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible - yes

Probable - no

If Essendon fix their forward structure (heres hoping with a new forward coach in Basset) that's really the only thing stopping them from being top 4. This is the way I currently see it:

1-2: Sydney and Freo. Sydney have great top end talent and if they can keep it together they're going to be the ones to beat next season. Freo have added the missing link in a 2nd KPF to help Pav out in Gumby and will be up there again

3-6: Hawthorn, Essendon, Geelong and North. I know people say Buddy's loss won't be too great, but quality is quality, and if you think the bloke that replaces him anywhere near his quality you're kidding yourself. Essendon haven't really gained or lost this off season as Chappy and Crameri probably balance each other out, but the progression of Daniher and Merrett will be important. Gelong still have very good quality on their list, and only fools would right them off. North's off season has been big, and although I don't particularly rate the appointment of Brown from Carlton, Tudor is a massive get, as is Dal Santo.

7-12: Richmond, Gold Coast, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Carlton and Collingwood. 6 teams vying for 2 spots. I think the two Adelaide sides will get them, Tigers going into 9th, Collingwood 10th, Carlton 11th and Gold Coast 12th. Very even group though, a major injury here or there could put any of them in contention for that spot

13-18: West Coast, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane, GWS, Melbourne, St. Kilda. Brisbane and West Coast are probably the 2 best sides of these 6 teams, dogs a comfortable 3rd. The other 3 will be looking at bottom 3 again unfortunately

1. Sydney
2. Fremantle
3. Hawthorne
4. North Melbourne
5. Geelong
6. Richmond
7. Port Adelaide
8. Carlton

9. Gold Coast
10. Adelaide
11. Essendon
12. West Coast
13. Collingwood
14. Western bulldogs
15. GWS
16. St Kilda
17. Melbourne
18. Brisbane

Sydney v Fremantle grand final.

My 2014 Prediction

1. Hawthorn
2. Sydney
3. Fremantle
4. North Melb
5. Geelong
6. WCEagles
7. Adelaide
8. Collingwood

9. Gold Coast
10. Richmond
11. Port Adelaide
12. Essendon
13. Carlton
14. Bulldogs
15. Brisbane
16. Melbourne
17. GWS
18. St Kilda

Freo minor premiers i reckon (no bias) i genuinely think we have the all round depth now with Sylvia and Gumby

See that is where you wrong. Betting is based on probability and we are a better chance than essendon to finish top 4. You are bias - betting agencies are not.
Who did the bookies rate as better chances for the flag when the odds opened last year: West Coast or Fremantle? Adelaide or Port Adelaide? Collingwood or Geelong?

Who did the bookies rate as better chances for the flag when the odds opened last year: West Coast or Fremantle? Adelaide or Port Adelaide? Collingwood or Geelong?
Hawks started flag favourites.

Just because the bookies and most people think we will finish higher on the ladder than you does not mean we will. But more than likely we will.

Hawks started flag favourites.

Just because the bookies and most people think we will finish higher on the ladder than you does not mean we will. But more than likely we will.
Picking the Hawks to win the flag last year was kind of like picking Atlantic Jewel to win and calling yourself an expert horse punter.

You're right. The bookies' odds are about as useful as Joe Blow's opinion at this point. I think the best gauge of where two respective teams are at is to look at the previous year's ladder. Right now we are a better team; will that change this year? Possibly, not probably.

Picking the Hawks to win the flag last year was kind of like picking Atlantic Jewel to win and calling yourself an expert horse punter.

You're right. The bookies' odds are about as useful as Joe Blow's opinion at this point. I think the best gauge of where two respective teams are at is to look at the previous year's ladder. Right now we are a better team; will that change this year? Possibly, not probably.
Put your ladder JW - I will put the TAB ladder up and see we can see which is closer at years end. Yours could be - but most likely won't be - unless you copy it.

Put your ladder JW - I will put the TAB ladder up and see we can see which is closer at years end. Yours could be - but most likely won't be - unless you copy it.
I've already posted my initial ladder prediction on the main board.

I'd like to see your ladder when you put one up as well. Hopefully this year you don't publicly post one ladder and then hedge your bets by privately sending a different ladder to an Essendon poster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Fremantle (Ross Lyons last chance at a flag i feel, Freo should make the GF again.)
2. Port Adelaide (Many expect the Power to drop out of the 8, i feel they will build on 2013 and will be a premiership chance.)
3. Sydney (Buddy Franklin will keep the Swans as one of the teams to beat in 2014, back to back flags for Buddy?)
4. North Melbourne (Our list is very well balanced and has alot of talent. In 2014 we will improve our defensive game and finish teams off.)
5. Hawthorn (The reigning premiers will still be in the mix for one more chance at a flag)
6. Carlton (The Blues start to Gel under Mick Malthouse, the recruiting of Daisy Thomas will help)
7. Richmond (The Tigers will play finals again, but to me they lack a certain something to take the next step.)
8. Western Bulldogs (The surprise 2014 finalist, they are building something here the Doggies look out!)
9. Geelong (A year of close losses for Geelong, the Cats youngsters are showing what they can do)
10. Gold Coast (The Suns are further improved in 2014, look out in 2015!)
11. Collingwood (The pies will blood more youth in 2014, will miss finals for the first time in nearly a decade.)
12. West Coast (New coach so it will sort of be a transitioning year for the Eagles, their midfield is significantly weakened without Kerr)
13. Adelaide (Adelaide will stagnate in 2014 with another midtable finish, their forward line is starting to function better though.)
14. Melbourne (Paul Roos was a great get as coach for the Dees, improvement will start to show but it's going to take time.)
15. Essendon (The drama of 2013 will take it's toll on the Dons and will have a poor season under Bomber Thompson.)
16. St Kilda (In full rebuild mode, there will be some short-term pain again in 2014)
17. GWS (Will make some small in-roads with 3-4 wins, still very much a work in progress)
18. Brisbane (The club's off-field issues and player exodus will leave the club spiritless in 2014, many big defeats)

LOL

I've already posted my initial ladder prediction on the main board.

I'd like to see your ladder when you put one up as well. Hopefully this year you don't publicly post one ladder and then hedge your bets by privately sending a different ladder to an Essendon poster.

Here you go JW V TAB. Will tally the points at the end of the year.

JW ------- TAB
Swans ------- Hawks
Hawks ------- Freo
Freo --------- Swans
Tigers -------- Cats
Essendon ----Roos
North -------- Pies
WCE ---------- Tigers
Pies ---------- Blues

Blues -------- WCE
Cats -------- Ess
Suns ------- Crows
Port -------- Port
Crows ------ Suns
Dogs ------- Bris
Dees ------- Dogs
Lions ------- Saints
GWS -------- Dees
Saints ------- GWS

No they didn't, Rodney Eade was coach then and he didn't make finals.

Yes they did. Roos was appointed mid 2002, the previous year Sydney finished 7th and bowed out in the first week of finals against Hawthorn. In 2002 they missed finals by 2 games, in 2003 they finished 4th.

Sydney were in much better shape than Melbourne are now.

Yes they did. Roos was appointed mid 2002, the previous year Sydney finished 7th and bowed out in the first week of finals against Hawthorn. In 2002 they missed finals by 2 games, in 2003 they finished 4th.

Sydney were in much better shape than Melbourne are now.

If you read my original post i said Roos first "full season" as coach.
How many of you guys would have thought Port Adelaide would make finals this year?

1 Collingwood
2 Geelong
3 Fremantle
4 Sydney
5 Hawthorn
6 Port Adelaide
7 Gold Coast
8 North Melbourne
9 Richmond
10 Essendon
11 West Coast
12 Adelaide
13 Carlton
14 Melbourne
15 Western Bulldogs
16 Brisbane
17 GWS
18 St Kilda

Crows will definitely finish top 6 next year. With Tex back and the inclusion of Betts we'll be hard to beat at home and very competitive away. Also forgot to mention that Scott Thompson will be back to his best following his recent surgery. Dangerfield to have a fantastic year and win the Brownlow.

Crows will definitely finish top 6 next year. With Tex back and the inclusion of Betts we'll be hard to beat at home and very competitive away. Also forgot to mention that Scott Thompson will be back to his best following his recent surgery. Dangerfield to have a fantastic year and win the Brownlow.

So far you seem to be pretty alone with that opinion... They might make top 8 but "definitely top 6" is a bit far stretched.

My Ladder Prediction

1st. Fremantle - Expecting to fire this season and they will be a serious threat for the flag.

2nd. Geelong Cats - Should be another bright year for the cats, they must perform consistently or they will fall flat.

3rd. Richmond - Young players will rise and the tigers will finish 3rd. They are expecting to play finals in successive years for the first time since 1974 and 1975.

4th. Sydney Swans - Swans should fire this season along with their success in recent years, including the welcoming of Buddy Franklin.

5th. Hawthorn - Not as successful as 2013 but still a finals threat. I think the Kennett curse will haunt them again.

6th. Port Adelaide - I'm expecting Port to repeat their 2013 success with another finals campaign.

7th. North Melbourne - Will improve this season and they are a finals contender. Nick Dal Santo should lift their midfield.

8th. Western Bulldogs - I see a finals campaign for the bulldogs. Their future is bright and they will be hard to beat in 2015.

9th. Carlton - I think they will fall agonizingly short in 2014, the welcoming of Dale Thomas will be helpful for the Blues. They will play finals in 2015.

10th. Collingwood - Their golden era is over, won't be surprised if they miss the finals for the first time since 2005. Most of their premiership stars are long gone.

11th. Gold Coast Suns - Will be even better in 2014 but will fall short by a few games. Their future is bright and will play finals in 2015.

12th. Adelaide Crows - They have to improve but I won't think it would be their breakthrough year in 2014.

13th. Essendon - Will fall flat in the second half of the year, unless they get their heads into gear. Bomber Thompson won't do any good.

14th. GWS Giants - Expecting a decent improvement from the giants. Should rack up at least 6 wins.

15th. Brisbane Lions - It's doubtful that they will have much success next season. New Justin Leppitsch won't guide the Lions to victory in the next two years.

16th. West Coast Eagles - Signs are pointing that the Eagles will struggle this season. I doubt that the Eagles will come close.

17th. Melbourne - Expecting to rack up a few more wins this season. With Paul Roos in charge, things can improve in the future.

18th. St Kilda - A dark year for the saints and there is more pain to come. Scotty Watters needs to lift up his game or he's toast.

1. Fremantle (Ross Lyons last chance at a flag i feel, Freo should make the GF again.)
2. Port Adelaide (Many expect the Power to drop out of the 8, i feel they will build on 2013 and will be a premiership chance.)
3. Sydney (Buddy Franklin will keep the Swans as one of the teams to beat in 2014, back to back flags for Buddy?)
4. North Melbourne (Our list is very well balanced and has alot of talent. In 2014 we will improve our defensive game and finish teams off.)
5. Hawthorn (The reigning premiers will still be in the mix for one more chance at a flag)
6. Carlton (The Blues start to Gel under Mick Malthouse, the recruiting of Daisy Thomas will help)
7. Richmond (The Tigers will play finals again, but to me they lack a certain something to take the next step.)
8. Western Bulldogs (The surprise 2014 finalist, they are building something here the Doggies look out!)
9. Geelong (A year of close losses for Geelong, the Cats youngsters are showing what they can do)
10. Gold Coast (The Suns are further improved in 2014, look out in 2015!)
11. Collingwood (The pies will blood more youth in 2014, will miss finals for the first time in nearly a decade.)
12. West Coast (New coach so it will sort of be a transitioning year for the Eagles, their midfield is significantly weakened without Kerr)
13. Adelaide (Adelaide will stagnate in 2014 with another midtable finish, their forward line is starting to function better though.)
14. Melbourne (Paul Roos was a great get as coach for the Dees, improvement will start to show but it's going to take time.)
15. Essendon (The drama of 2013 will take it's toll on the Dons and will have a poor season under Bomber Thompson.)
16. St Kilda (In full rebuild mode, there will be some short-term pain again in 2014)
17. GWS (Will make some small in-roads with 3-4 wins, still very much a work in progress)
18. Brisbane (The club's off-field issues and player exodus will leave the club spiritless in 2014, many big defeats)

I agree

1. Sydney
2. Hawthorn
3. Richmond
4. North
5. Fremantle
6. Gold Coast
7. Carlton
8. Port Adelaide

--------------------
9. Collingwood
10. West Coast
11. Geelong
12. Dogs
13. Essendon
14. Adelaide
15. Melbourne
16. GWS
17. Brisbane
18. Saints.....winless season...

wow, winless year for the saints? ouch!! but they had winless seasons up to 1901, which was when they got their first ever win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back