Quigley's 2013 Mock

Remove this Banner Ad

With some of the write ups this guy does, you'd almost think he is a professional. I couldn't care less about where he places the kids. He gives you all a great read and gives you more a detailed analysis of each player better than anyone else on here. I love watching junior footy and writing a bit on some of the potential draftees. I find it pretty hard watching so many games and then writing a bit about each player when you have to balance it in with work, family and other commitments. I'm sure Quigs does as well. But he somehow manages to make time to do all of this.

I don't really think anyone on here is purely trying to nab the pick each player will be selected at. It's all about providing you information. And Quigley does that better than anyone else.

Great effort mate. :thumbsu:

Well said.

Plus it's one person's opinion versus a draft with 18 groups of opinions. Of course it will be different.

It's not that different to _kp_ in fact, likes pretty much all of the highly rated juniors except Lennon, Hartung and Taylor, who are rated below where others have them. Both have gone cold on Freeman, but many on this site have done that as well.

I'd just like to say that I was never 'hot' on Freeman. ;)

Also, I do like Lennon.

How do you think the likes of Martin and Hogan would rate against the top end talent of this draft in both the short and long term?

As both Schanenberg and Boyd look like the real deal.

I think the flaw in putting so much weight on the TAC Cup is that you seem to be harshly grading players simply because they were underdone during the series, Aish and McDonald especially are examples who played in the TAC cup well under 100% and you seem less then enthused as you're ignoring the rest of their form from when they were healthy.

Apart from that it's a great read as always

I think the flaw in putting so much weight on the TAC Cup is that you seem to be harshly grading players simply because they were underdone during the series, Aish and McDonald especially are examples who played in the TAC cup well under 100% and you seem less then enthused as you're ignoring the rest of their form from when they were healthy.

TAC Cup or Champs? Aish definitely has never played TAC Cup.

The fella says he doesn't watch much of these kids at all and then writes thousands and thousands of words.
I don't understand, but more power to him I guess.

Always a great read, you need to get a job or a hobby, a lot of work don't agree with your opinion of Mc Donald have seen a lot of him and very happy to be getting him at pick 8, but that's my opinion only.

How do you think the likes of Martin and Hogan would rate against the top end talent of this draft in both the short and long term?

Martin will be the best player out of this draft by a country mile

Byrne-Jones and Heavyside ? Well that is a little bit different to other phantom drafts for the Eagles. It will ne interesting to revisit these phantoms after the draft.

Fantastic work once again Quigley.

While I have very different opinions on many, particularly those top end talents your bios on bigfooty are without equal for detail and quality of opinion.

I also feel you with your comments under the Conway about the Lions academy.

I personally really like Queensland as a state with some of the talent there more years than now - Beams/R.Thompson/C.Dixon/Z.Smith/A.Sexton/Tippett/Harbrow/Keeffe among others.

It's just the development it's there. The Brisbane academy program has been a failing and so has the development of the rest of the state.

Conway and Tickner coming into the year I had as second round quality talents. Now they'll be lucky to go as rookies.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the same with Weller, L.Dawson and Hammelmann who all look like first or second round selections at this point but all probably slide and similarly struggle to develop.

The feel with Queenslanders (other than Beams as probably the one exception). They are always a few years behind in their development and take that bit longer to get comfortable with the pace of the game. Give them the time on AFL lists though and the results and the talent is absolutely staggering and we've seen it with those prelisted Queenslanders going to Gold Coast becoming such high level players by position.

Why would development be any worse in QLD than it is in Tassie? They have two AFL teams, academies, and their leagues about on par with ours afaik. Our guys struggle for the same reasons, but we still have managed to get 3 first rounders in the last two drafts, and a fourth one will go high in this draft. QLD players have it way better than ours imo.

Unlike Conway, Weller is a very good athlete. Doubt he is in any danger of sliding too far down the rankings next year.

I would have gone Boyd, Hogan and then Martin as the top 3. If I got a little risk adverse maybe Hogan at 1. His work in the VFL against senior opponents was enormously impressive and Boyd has yet to show that really. Boyd has that bit more height that entices. Hard decision really.

Martin clearly the best mid option going into next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a very fair comment. I do try and make allowances for guys being underdone but I could definitely rightly be accused of giving the Champs undue weight in respect of guys who are carrying or were underdone.

With Aish and McDonald I have seen a few games of each both this year and last and have yet to catch one of their good games. I have seen some vision of when they have been up and about but I have not seen them perform well live. Both have had some very good games in senior company and I acknowledge that. They have not been consistent though and that also has to be acknowledged. There is plenty who think 8 is about right for McDonald and a few who say that it was a bit overpaying.

The fella says he doesn't watch much of these kids at all and then writes thousands and thousands of words.

And then the plebs consider him some sort of God.

I'm not going to listen to a movie review of someone that has never seen the movie.

I watch some games and record about 45mins to an hour of notes per game I watch. I then transcribe these and they form the foundation of my opinions on kids. I then read as much as I can and watch whatever film I can get hold of in the context of my initial thoughts and expand things from there.

One professional I know has a go at me a bit for arguing so vigorously with him given how little I have seen of these guys and he has a good point. But just because I do not get to see a massive amount does not mean I don't put the time in.

Always a great read, you need to get a job or a hobby, a lot of work don't agree with your opinion of Mc Donald have seen a lot of him and very happy to be getting him at pick 8, but that's my opinion only.

Fair but not everyone is going to be looking at him through rose coloured glasses like the North supporters are. FWIW I did not think I was overly harsh with McDonald. He is a pretty good prospect and I expect him to jump out of the blocks from day one next year. I have some doubts whether he will be a champion of the game but he should certainly be a fine AFL player as a floor.

I did run my review past one of the North board's better posters who has seen him quite a lot as well. He didn't have a problem with it.

Fantastic work once again Quigley.

While I have very different opinions on many, particularly those top end talents your bios on bigfooty are without equal for detail and quality of opinion.

I also feel you with your comments under the Conway about the Lions academy.

I personally really like Queensland as a state with some of the talent there more years than now - Beams/R.Thompson/C.Dixon/Z.Smith/A.Sexton/Tippett/Harbrow/Keeffe among others.

It's just the development it's there. The Brisbane academy program has been a failing and so has the development of the rest of the state.

Conway and Tickner coming into the year I had as second round quality talents. Now they'll be lucky to go as rookies.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the same with Weller, L.Dawson and Hammelmann who all look like first or second round selections at this point but all probably slide and similarly struggle to develop.

The feel with Queenslanders (other than Beams as probably the one exception). They are always a few years behind in their development and take that bit longer to get comfortable with the pace of the game. Give them the time on AFL lists though and the results and the talent is absolutely staggering and we've seen it with those prelisted Queenslanders going to Gold Coast becoming such high level players by position.

I think a deficiency has definitely been recognised and one good step which has been taken is for the Qld team to be playing in the TAC next year. I think this should help them a lot keeping them together as a team though out the year and training as a team as well. The kids can play their natural positions and can run out against the better kids in the draft and peg their level.

Now if they can spend some money and actually put some decent programs and training together it would be great.

Everything is up now FWIW. Enjoy or ignore it if you are like DarwinRoo.

I think a lot of people get hung up on where players are taken in these types of exercises and underestimate how varied the opinions are between clubs and even within them. I am wrong very often with where I rate someone compared to how good a player they end up being but I am also right enough for me to feel confident giving my opinion. Have a look how many flops there are each year for the guys who watch enormous amounts of these kids and get paid a reasonable amount to pick them. The fact that a few of my favourites don't work out is not uncommon in this area.

If I was reading my mock I would be reading it for an opinion on what the players my team is being rumoured to take and to get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses. I may be more harsh than a lot of people but that is because I actually put time into trying to identify where the guys need to improve. If you only want to read how good a player is read Paige everyone she reviews is going to be a champion of the game apparently.

I watch some games and record about 45mins to an hour of notes per game I watch. I then transcribe these and they form the foundation of my opinions on kids. I then read as much as I can and watch whatever film I can get hold of in the context of my initial thoughts and expand things from there.

One professional I know has a go at me a bit for arguing so vigorously with him given how little I have seen of these guys and he has a good point. But just because I do not get to see a massive amount does not mean I don't put the time in.
At least you admit it and say it upfront. You'd have to be pretty bored to watch tonnes of 18s football as an amateur just to formulate as valid an opinion as possible for your bigfooty phantom drafts :eek: There are potentially hundreds of draftees every year playing in loads of different comps around the country, only an obsessed freak would have seen, and been concentrating on, enough of their games to have a really valid opinion.

And then the plebs consider him some sort of God.

I'm not going to listen to a movie review of someone that has never seen the movie.
What are you doing here? People here openly admit they are amateur followers of the draft and the potential players.
Let me tell you one thing. Some of the paid professionals see less of the potential draftees than some of the posters here. A club will have anywhere 6 to 20 paid personnel to cover the continent, and some of those are charged to see just a few live games and yet clubs recruit on the basis of their assessments.
Nowdays it is easy to see plenty of the high end draftees, via various means if you are connected.
Rather than cast stones take it for what it is, just an opinion formed by a self acknowledged amateur. Who the hell said that anyone here on BF is a God of drafting knowledge. Opinions mate, just opinions. You don't have to agree.

Slightly in awe of your effort mate, brilliant read as always. Just gives guys like me who want to know more about the kids a resource to turn to.

In terms of your Collingwood picks, I completely agree with the Sheed selection. Just seems like he would become a valuable player for us, even in the short term to compliment the likes of Beams and Pendles. McCarthy im less sold on at 10.. its not that i doubt his ability, I just feel we have more pressing needs despite the lack of KP depth on the list.

I'd love for us to end up with Scharenberg and Sheed, but it seems fairly unlikely at this point in time

What a surprise, North bigfooty supporters whinging.

Great read, always a pleasure to sit down and read something so in depth and in detail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back