news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy knockout today from Lil Hethen, a beautifully timed kick which, listening to his post fight interview, was a strategy pre-fight (Jason has a tendency to duck down and leave his head exposed when throwing the right hook).

Not sure about the follow up punch though - it looked pretty obvious that Jason was out cold - his head, neck and body were clearly lying rigid on the ground prior to the punch. IMO the punch was totally unnecessary, and one of the things holding the sport back from mainstream acceptance.

Interested to hear others' opinion?

Crazy knockout today from Lil Hethen, a beautifully timed kick which, listening to his post fight interview, was a strategy pre-fight (Jason has a tendency to duck down and leave his head exposed when throwing the right hook).

Not sure about the follow up punch though - it looked pretty obvious that Jason was out cold - his head, neck and body were clearly lying rigid on the ground prior to the punch. IMO the punch was totally unnecessary, and one of the things holding the sport back from mainstream acceptance.

Yeah, that was a great KO.

The follow up punch was completely unnecessary and we see it from time to time; Henderson against Bisping and Henderson against Wanderlei come to mind. It's not a great look and probably is something that holds MMA back from mainstream acceptance but I don't think it's something that can be avoided. Some fighters just get in the zone and don't stop until the ref pulls them off.

I agree that it's a far better sight when a fighter realises the other fighter is done and stops. I respect Machida and Stann even more for doing that but the best ones have to be Mark Hunt with his walk off knock outs.

Vitor is a brute, jesus that was impressive from him.

I don't have a problem with it.

It's literally a split second decision and we've seen that many incompetent referees not stop clearly over fights that I wouldn't be risking it as a fighter. I have no problem with one more big punch as the guy falls backwards, but I do have a problem with multiple strikes as the referee is trying to pull the guy off or what that idiot Pahlhares pulls every ******* fight.

I suppose it's a case by case kind of situation.

Belfort is incredible, to KO Dan Henderson in just over 1 minute is insane.

7 1st round finishes on a fight card, what more can you ask for.

Vitor is now starting to stake a claim as one of the top P4P fighters going around. He's been around since UFC 12 (from memory, Joe Rogan reminds us occasionally as it was his debut too). His recent run, even his fight against Jones, has been impressive.

The TRT debate doesn't go away, and nor should it. IF you've been in fitness for some time, you can just tell that the guy is getting an advantage that isn't natural. Hardly the most scientific post that I've made, but that's how I feel. That being said, Sonnen is on TRT and isn't destroying people like Vitor is.

What was Henderson doing with his typical lumbering forward motion? Does three of them, doesn't throw anything, Vitor gives him what he deserves. Amateur hour.

At least this Sunday we'll see a fight and two fighters worthy of main event status.

Vitor is now starting to stake a claim as one of the top P4P fighters going around. He's been around since UFC 12 (from memory, Joe Rogan reminds us occasionally as it was his debut too). His recent run, even his fight against Jones, has been impressive.

Yep very true, amazing longevity, can't think of too many others who have been around since the pre-Zuffa days (Barnett?) Plus I'm assuming he fought before that as well.

The TRT debate doesn't go away, and nor should it. IF you've been in fitness for some time, you can just tell that the guy is getting an advantage that isn't natural. Hardly the most scientific post that I've made, but that's how I feel. That being said, Sonnen is on TRT and isn't destroying people like Vitor is.

Yeah well a guy who's had that long a career still kicking arse (and finishing guys like Hendo) will always have questions asked about him. Probably the most questionable thing is he fighting in Brazil for the last few fights, allegedly their athletic commissions are a lot more permissable (do they even have athletic commissions?)

Just looking over Vitor's early record when a minute was a long fight for him. He fought Tank in his 4th fight an awful long time ago and in his 2nd fight he fought Tracey "Tra" Telligman, the guy with half a chest. The good 'ol' days LOL.

Vitor winning in just over a minute reminded me of his early days. Just looking up Vitor's early record on wikipedia when a minute was a long fight for him. He fought Tracey "Tra" Telligman in his 2nd fight (1:17), the guy with half a chest, Scott Ferrozzo in his 3rd fight (0:43), the 330lb hairy guy, then Tank in his 4th fight (0:52). What a career he has had.

Pretty sure I read that post-fight Jason punched a wall... which then called for a hospital visit. Bad day for that guy!

The longevity of Vitor's career, and not just - but the length of time at which he's been able to remain a perennial contender without turning into a 1 punch stumbler is amazing. He's never really taken the beatings of brutal KO's that people like Chuck, Tito, Franklin etc have which has no doubt helped.

Vitor winning in just over a minute reminded me of his early days. Just looking up Vitor's early record on wikipedia when a minute was a long fight for him. He fought Tracey "Tra" Telligman in his 2nd fight (1:17), the guy with half a chest, Scott Ferrozzo in his 3rd fight (0:43), the 330lb hairy guy, then Tank in his 4th fight (0:52). What a career he has had.

What was Henderson doing with his typical lumbering forward motion? Does three of them, doesn't throw anything, Vitor gives him what he deserves. Amateur hour.
Henderson did something almost exactly like that in the first minute of the Rashad fight. Didn't look too different to how Henderson always comes forward in fights imo.

At least this Sunday we'll see a fight and two fighters worthy of main event status.

Are you saying Belfort/Henderson wasn't worthy of main event status?

Henderson did something almost exactly like that in the first minute of the Rashad fight. Didn't look too different to how Henderson always comes forward in fights imo.

I know that's his move. He stumbled forward once, twice, three times. Vitor's probably thinking "So are you gonna throw a punch or what? No? OK, eat one of these."

Are you saying Belfort/Henderson wasn't worthy of main event status?

Not saying that. Just facetiously saying that Henderson's drunken stagger wasn't worthy of main event status. When did he think he'd attempt an overhand? On his 4th lunge forward? He had his opportunity to throw something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo could be at the end who knows? I don't know if Belfort and Hendo are on the same TRT regime looking at their results. Henderson has seen an increase in his finishing ability but Belfort has really gone up another notch.

Hendo doesn't look very big for a LHW since he doesn't cut weight and would be smaller than many of todays MW. Belfor on the other hand looks big in both divisions. Also TRT may not teach him how to do spinning kicks to the head but it does allow him to recover quicker and spend more time learning his craft at an age where many athletes have to put an emphasis on recovery as they decline physically.

qmws.gif

Bruce Buffer getting to do what we all wish we could

So, has anyone caught any of DW's recent interviews? Askren is a resounding NO for the UFC.

I've seen the quotes. I'm hopeful that Dana's trying to lower Askren's asking price, but I'm really not sure. Askren being a 'boring wrestler' may well be part of the reason, if the UFC is actually 100% against signing him. The main reason in my mind is that the UFC don't want to be taking a guy it appears Bellator don't want. That doesn't seem to be the case as Bellator offered him a contract but he turned it down. Now they've done what some criticised them for not doing in the Eddie Alvarez situation, letting the fighter who wants out go.

Dana saying that Askren isn't worthy of being in the UFC because he barely beat Jay Hieron really makes no sense when you think about it. Hieron lost to Askren then won one fight and got brought into the UFC. Anthony Lapsley fought on the weekend and he's lost to Hieron.

I'll be disappointed if Askren doesn't end up in the UFC because there's people who think he'll have a real impact. So far he's fought fighters that he's been able to easily take down and dominate. No doubt he's a great wrestler but the UFC's WW division is wrestler heavy and may prove too much for him.

Dana is now saying in 2 weeks they will have a date set for the GSP v Big Rig rematch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back