Traded 11. Darcy Lang (2014-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Although there is plenty of water to go under the bridge yet, I would not be surprised if two or three of those players on the above list are regular AFL players in 2014.

I think the club realises the need for this to occur in order to remain as one of the top echelon of clubs, hence why Chappy and co weren't offered another contract. Of those players, Bews, McCarthy, Thurlow, Smedts, Cowan, Schroder, Kersten, show some terrific credentials, and the the ability to take the next step. Aside from McCarthy who's had an injury interrupted career to date, the others have been on the list long enough now to make the transition to AFL football. I'd bank on Thurlow, Bews, Kersten and Smedts to make an impact next season, and play some extended matches in the side and give a good account of themselves. Schroeder is in the same boat, but he'll be vying with the likes of Horlin-Smith in the midfield rotations. We have the talent at lower level to remain more than competitive, and with Simpson, McIntosh and hopefully Menzel making a return from injury, I see no reason to believe a drop down the ladder is inevitable. Varcoe will be better for the run with more confidence, so it augers well for another good season where our newest recruits can learn their craft like those before them. I'm confident we're in a good situation as a club. Who knows, by 2015, or even as early as next season, Jansen and Lang may even be included in that group. There's reason for optimism.

So much angst over an 18 yr old who's only just been drafted...I really don't get some of you clowns, but you'll still applaud if/when he debuts and plays a decent game, even kick his first goal. Fickle is a word that comes to mind, even greed. Boy we've been fortunate to have won a few premierships over the course of the last 7 years.

Don't you get it MD.
Wells is only applauded when he picks guys others think he should, anything else is a failure, a crap player, a dub pick and Wells is a moron.
Happened last year.
Will happen next year.

I'm mates with a guy close (ish) to the Vic Country guys and like a fair few have some guys in the Falcons.
They keep telling me this guy will be a top 10 of the draft no doubt, and if for injury would have easily been a top 12 pick.
Apparently has an amazing attitude to footy and is very coachable/just wants to learn. Will do VERY well in the Cats system.

But of course he sucks because I didn't pick him for our first pick.

I think the club realises the need for this to occur in order to remain as one of the top echelon of clubs, hence why Chappy and co weren't offered another contract. Of those players, Bews, McCarthy, Thurlow, Smedts, Cowan, Schroder, Kersten, show some terrific credentials, and the the ability to take the next step. Aside from McCarthy who's had an injury interrupted career to date, the others have been on the list long enough now to make the transition to AFL football. I'd bank on Thurlow, Bews, Kersten and Smedts to make an impact next season, and play some extended matches in the side and give a good account of themselves. Schroeder is in the same boat, but he'll be vying with the likes of Horlin-Smith in the midfield rotations. We have the talent at lower level to remain more than competitive, and with Simpson, McIntosh and hopefully Menzel making a return from injury, I see no reason to believe a drop down the ladder is inevitable. Varcoe will be better for the run with more confidence, so it augers well for another good season where our newest recruits can learn their craft like those before them. I'm confident we're in a good situation as a club. Who knows, by 2015, or even as early as next season, Jansen and Lang may even be included in that group. There's reason for optimism.
Bews, Burbury, Cowan, McCarthy , iirc, all had no preseasons due to foot stress & tendon injuries; if they have any luck this year, that quartet will offer us heaps & will set up our midfield depth beautifully.
No reason to think that any of our selections this week will be expected to perform next year- they are for our future.
I totally agree with you, there is a lot of reason for optimism; we had 2 teams that were effectively in the best 3 in AFL & VFL, and that was with a group of players that had zero impact in HMc, Cowan, McC, and interrupted seasons from Chappy, Varcoe, DS.
I really look fwd to Bews, Burbs, Cowan, McC getting on the ground this year and playing like there is no tomorrow, and pretty sure Brown and Varcoe will need that attitude too.

I will go out on a limb here and say that GFC's VFL side will win the Premiership next season.

These 3 new ND picks will add to the backline and the midfield. Hartman will get better as will Bews, McCarthy, Thurlow, Smedts, Cowan, Schroder, Kersten, Hamling and Brown. Sure we lose Bathie and Selwood but we gain HMac.

Overall a stronger side by mid season IMO.

I just wish the GFC VFL game was on each week as I reckon we might see the development of a few stars and see the Menzel comeback as well.

Would like to think a few of those players are in the AFL not the VFL...Also Hmac if fit won't be playing VFL....

Well cats fans you pick an interesting kid but i really think your club got the pick spot on with a kid who is Dashing and versatile midfielder who wins his own ball. Can also run and carry on the outside, is good one on one on the inside and plus a neat user of the footy. I hope you like my post and good luck for 2014.

Here's an idea lets sack Wells and bring in Pelchen:rolleyes:

Seriously lets see how Darcy goes before we string Wells up for high treason for daring not to select a BigFooty darling

Well cats fans you pick an interesting kid but i really think your club got the pick spot on with a kid who is Dashing and versatile midfielder who wins his own ball. Can also run and carry on the outside, is good one on one on the inside and plus a neat user of the footy. I hope you like my post and good luck for 2014.

Feel free to pop in again sometime.;)

why not?

i hope that hmac's on field output isnt similiar to varcoes last year. lets hope the mc have learnt to play players not on reputation

I am of the opinion that Simpson and HMac when fit will not often play in the same side (assuming Hawkins is fit). It makes us a bit slow and that is why I suggest they want to get senior games into
Blicavs (why play him ahead of West otherwise) and will play him second ruck firstly to Simpson and then HMac.

Both Simpson and Hmac have played little footy over the past 2 seasons and will get rested at different times across the main season, while Blicavs is a truly fit machine.

I am not suggesting that Blicavs is a decent second ruckman but he will probably be a bit more competitive this season and he gets a better feel of the AFL in doing so. He will end up playing in a different position in 2015 with 40 senior games under his belt.

This will result initially in Hmac playing quite a few VFL games early in the season then swapping in and out of the senior side with Simpson. In the end I think Hmac will probably qualify for the VFL finals whether he plays in the VFL then is debatable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am of the opinion that Simpson and HMac when fit will not often play in the same side (assuming Hawkins is fit). It makes us a bit slow and that is why I suggest they want to get senior games into
Blicavs (why play him ahead of West otherwise) and will play him second ruck firstly to Simpson and then HMac.

I'm of the completely opposite view. :D

No ruck combo could break us if they are both in the same side. HMac can play forward if need be and we can always do the Hawthorn thing of subbing one off at 3/4 and bring on a young mid.

E.g have Dawson rucking first 3 quarters. HMac rucking and up forward. Then HMac takes over the rucking for the last quarter. Dawson off and K.D. on at 3/4 time.

No ruck combo could break us if they are both in the same side. HMac can play forward if need be and we can always do the Hawthorn thing of subbing one off at 3/4 and bring on a young mid.

E.g have Dawson rucking first 3 quarters. HMac rucking and up forward. Then HMac takes over the rucking for the last quarter. Dawson off and K.D. on at 3/4 time.
Hmac CAN go forward, but he is not very good at it.

Sure he's had a game here and there where he has done damage, but 9 times out of 10 he looks like a fish out of water.

Here's an idea lets sack Wells and bring in Pelchen:rolleyes:

Seriously lets see how Darcy goes before we string Wells up for high treason for daring not to select a BigFooty darling

Now there is a recruiter who is severely overrated. Can't believe how many people on here are questioning Wells after all his good work, the guy is a gun recruiter

Me and my lollingwood friend are in a s**t fight about grundy vs daws. Oh and Guthrie vs Elliot.

I wouldn't even bother arguing regarding Guthrie, results will speak for themselves at the conclusion of 2014. The kid will be an out and out star. I'm as confident in that statement as I am suggesting there's 24 hours in a day.

Oh and Guthrie vs Elliot.
That's not even a contest

1 looks a composed reliable smart footballer

1 wouldn't be rated half as highly if he played for a different club

I wouldn't even bother arguing regarding Guthrie, results will speak for themselves at the conclusion of 2014. The kid will be an out and out star. I'm as confident in that statement as I am suggesting there's 24 hours in a day.

And there in is a lesson for a few posters on this Board.

People questioned Wells' selection at pick 23 over Darling - I know I did. At first Darling looked great and Guthrie was just finding his way.

Now we see why Wells went after Guthrie. I am not sure I can be as optimistic as MD but for sure he will be a good player and will get better next season as he gets more games and builds his body.

Enter Lang. I was a big Dunstan fan - but after my last lesson I will wait and see what happens. Lang could end up being some really reliable midfielder that we all come to respect and see as best 22 in 2-3 years. He could end up being the next Guthrie - and for 2 seasons quite a few were unsure if he was best 22 until mid season this year. Check the earlier posts.

So don't get ahead of yourselves Cats fans. Maybe we wanted Zac Jones and he went earlier - but that still meant that Wells had the choice of Dunstan and Acres and he said no thanks give me a bit of Land thankyou very much.

Now what does that say. He seriously believes that Lang will be as good, if not better than both these guys. And being a Falcon he must have seen a bit of him and heard a fair bit from the those at the Falcons about Darcy. Simply stated he thought Lang was a better bet than Acres and Dunstan.

Now from the reading of the papers and the phantom drafts, and that is where many of us get our info from, we find it hard to believe that Lang could be a better bet than Acres or Dunstan. But Wells has been in the caper for quite a long time and has info we don't get in the papers. He has shown quite often with re considered strange picks he is right.

The only question, which some have asked, would Darcy have been there at pick 36 and therefore we could have taken Acres for example ? Well GFC simply don't take risks like that obviously. Not big gamblers and that seems fair enough to me.

Darcy Lang is the man. I can remember Bartel being pretty ordinary in his first 20 or so games and he turned into a champion player. Rarely outstanding IMO but an incredibly consistent, good value player that worked very hard and stuck to the game plan. If Lang even gets close to being the reincarnation of Jimmy Bartel I am sure most of us will be jumping for joy.

On Wells, his reputation has largely come about due to his superb work away from top end picks.

Enright, Rooke, Milburn, Duncan, Motlop, Christensen... None were top 20 picks. Murdoch was taken with a late pick and improved to the point he was selected for a prelim. You only need to look at the stories of Blicavs and Mumford to see his lateral thinking.

As for his first rounders... Bartel, Mackie, Corey, Selwood and Taylor have been major hits. Varcoe was a hit albeit not to the same level. Tenace was an unmitigated disaster and the jury is well and truly out on Brown. It's too early to pass judgement on Smedts and Thurlow.
That medium forward from South Australia taken with our first pick in the '09 draft was looking to be an absolute gun before being cruelled by knee injuries. Wasn't he also a "left of field" pick at the time too?

The only question, which some have asked, would Darcy have been there at pick 36 and therefore we could have taken Acres for example ? Well GFC simply don't take risks like that obviously. Not big gamblers and that seems fair enough to me.

I don't think so. It appears that Lang would have been taken in the 20's if we hadn't taken him at 16. I don't think he is quite the reach that the media have reported. Like the same stage after last years' draft with Thurlow, I'm getting more and more comfortable with Wells' call here.

Good post but leave poonwees out of it next time;).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back