Which five world athletes would make the best transition into the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically, the vast majority of athletes in the NBA would be more than capable in not only making the transition but destroying the current crop of AFL athletes.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if Brogan (BB) O'hailpin (?) Pyke (rug) can make it at AFL level, then most elite sportsmen with the right effort, attitude, physical development and time can.
Attitude and effort being the key, if an 18 year old LeBron had decided that AFL is the sport he loves and put the effort into it that he has put into BB, then yes, he could make it. We will never know how good he could have become, but athleticism will only get you so far, there have been plenty of excellent athletes that have tried but haven't made it at AFL.

Absolutely no way in hell did O'hAilpin ever "make it". And he had years and years put into him. I don't know enough of Brogan's background - did he play any footy in his younger years or exclusively basketball?

For a guy that would be the tallest player in the league, he'd be a lot more mobile than say a Mumford.

I don't think so.

and certainly not by the second quarter.

Whilst we're comparing the 2, Mumford would hit a greater percentage of his free throws as well.

I don't think so.

and certainly not by the second quarter.

Whilst we're comparing the 2, Mumford would hit a greater percentage of his free throws as well.

Yeah coz NBA players are so much less fit than AFL players....

You do realise that 1 game might not be as nealy as taxing as AFL, but they play 4 times as many and 3 times as often. After a pre-season he'd be plenty fit enough to compete at 7 foot.

Absolutely no way in hell did O'hAilpin ever "make it". And he had years and years put into him. I don't know enough of Brogan's background - did he play any footy in his younger years or exclusively basketball?

He played 88 games of AFL football and was on an AFL list for 9 years, he was no star obviously, but he "made it".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a ridiculous and ignorant statement only a twelvie would make.

Disagree, most of these guys are more athletic than the most athletic AFL players. They'd need to get more endurance, but would be very much possible.

An ignorant statement would be something like this:

Don't confuse a 5 step drive or a ten step run up the court with being "AFL mobile".

Oh wait that was you...what a rediculous statement.

Lebron James would be more mobile than any 6 foot 9 player in the league, by a country mile.

Also are we forgetting that Dean Brogan transitioned straight from NBL (where he wasnt very good) to being a servicable 10 year ruckman? Thats the NBL, which is about 10 rungs below NBA.

Lebron James would be more mobile than any 6 foot 9 player in the league, by a country mile.

Also are we forgetting that Dean Brogan transitioned straight from NBL (where he wasnt very good) to being a servicable 10 year ruckman? Thats the NBL, which is about 10 rungs below NBA.

Maybe he had some decent footy skills? I presume James has those (who am I kidding, high profile US sports star, he has elite skills at every sport ever invented).

Maybe he had some decent footy skills? I presume James has those (who am I kidding, high profile US sports star, he has elite skills at every sport ever invented).

State high-school representative at American Football as a wide receiver.
I'd say a 6 foot 9 bloke that can jump out of the stadium and can obviously catch would make a pretty decent footballer.
Obviously anyone transitioning will need to learn to kick a sherrin, but with pro level talent in two sports already I'm not sure it would be that difficult for him.

Disagree, most of these guys are more athletic than the most athletic AFL players. They'd need to get more endurance, but would be very much possible.

An ignorant statement would be something like this:

Oh wait that was you...what a rediculous statement.

He actually tested average at his draft combine.

but with pro level talent in two sports already
What is the second sport ?
Not this surely?
State high-school representative at American Football as a wide receiver.

Also, he's 6 foot 8 shoes on (how they measure them)

He actually tested average at his draft combine.

What is the second sport ?
Not this surely?

Also, he's 6 foot 8 shoes on (how they measure them)

You mean his combine when he was 17 and everyone else there was in their 20s coming out of 3-4 years of semi-professional college basketball?

The draft where he went number 1 pick?

Second sport was Gridiron (he was state rep high school before dropping it for basketball), but as a wide receiver, catching a football would probably be a big part of it. Many people in the know believe he would've played NFL had he put his eggs in that basket.

6 foot 8 would already put him above KPP height, and into ruckman territory. With his vertical leap he would easily be able to play ruck. Hes also 115kg, although would slim down a lot to deal with the endurance required in the AFL.

You mean his combine when he was 17 and everyone else there was in their 20s coming out of 3-4 years of semi-professional college basketball?

Second sport was Gridiron (he was state rep high school before dropping it for basketball), but as a wide receiver, catching a football would probably be a big part of it. Many people in the know believe he would've played NFL had he put his eggs in that basket.

6 foot 8 would already put him above KPP height, and into ruckman territory. With his vertical leap he would easily be able to play ruck. Hes also 115kg, although would slim down a lot to deal with the endurance required in the AFL.

Yeah Lebron would be one hell of an experiment, the kicking is the obvious trouble as some seem to pick it up quicker than others. At worst a centre square beast who gives it off by hand(see Barry Round).

Yeah Lebron would be one hell of an experiment, the kicking is the obvious trouble as some seem to pick it up quicker than others. At worst a centre square beast who gives it off by hand(see Barry Round).

Yeah, according to these one eyed numptys Lebron couldnt make it.

Kicking is the thing that will separate the players.

DangerSloane, post: 31269998, member: 133301"]You mean his combine when he was 17 and everyone else there was in their 20s coming out of 3-4 years of semi-professional college basketball?
Yep, that's the one, the one where he is nothing special when compared to the 17 yo kids at AFL draft camp.

I didn't say he wasn't a brilliant player

There was some speculation on whether he would have made it as an NFL player, this doesn't equate to "pro level at two sports"

I didn't say he wouldn't make it, on the contrary, I nominated him as one of my 5, as he is a great athlete in his sport and has many of the tools necessary to make the transition, I just laugh at the fan boi's that say he would come in and dominate. Fact is, he might become a very good player, he might also be a flop.

Yeah, according to these one eyed numptys Lebron couldnt make it.

See above

There was some speculation on whether he would have made it as an NFL player, this doesn't equate to "pro level at two sports"

Exactly. Brock Lesnar won a NCAA Heavyweight Championship at the University of Minnesota, then was actually selected for the Minnesota Vikings. But he wasn't up to it. Kurt Angle had a tryout for the Pittsburgh Stealers, but again, wasn't picked up by them (he never played football at college which probably didn't help). Same thing goes, did they have freakish athletic talents? No doubt at all. Ability to play multiple top level sports? Very different question and far, far harder task.

Exactly. Brock Lesnar won a NCAA Heavyweight Championship at the University of Minnesota, then was actually selected for the Minnesota Vikings. But he wasn't up to it. Kurt Angle had a tryout for the Pittsburgh Stealers, but again, wasn't picked up by them (he never played football at college which probably didn't help). Same thing goes, did they have freakish athletic talents? No doubt at all. Ability to play multiple top level sports? Very different question and far, far harder task.

Whereas my man Bill Goldberg played NFL and was a world champion wrestler:cool: Who's next!

Floyd mayweather could probably excel at anything he tried. His will for perfection is immense. Calvin Johnson is a freak of nature and billy slater in his prime could easily have been a very good afl player.

Yeah coz NBA players are so much less fit than AFL players....

More explosive, less stamina.

I played b'ball for 20 years, I'm well aware how taxing it is.

You do realise that 1 game might not be as nealy as taxing as AFL, but they play 4 times as many and 3 times as often. After a pre-season he'd be plenty fit enough to compete at 7 foot.

He's averaging 27 minutes per game, basically playing in 6 minute blocks.

Decent skills (for a big man) strong off hand, yet inexplicably can't hit a free throw to save himself, and not that mobile, even for a 7 foot stiff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back