2014 - is this the year Geelong finally falls?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're the team with something to prove next week. We've been so-so thus far this year while Hawthorn have been stoic in brooking no opposition in their quest for back-to-back-and-beyond for this year and what will ultimately prove to be a project for a new Hawthorn century.

Save for a few things, our season is on par with Carlton's really...

You and Bobby are so biased and let your hatred of the clubs cloud your judgment on the teams.

His threads on Geelong over the years (which have unfortunately fallen back a few 100 pages due to bumping of old threads disallowed) have been nothing short of assaulting, embarrassing for fellow Hawthorn people to put up with and outright psychopathic in nature in regards to his hatred toward certain individual players (Ablett Snr and Bartel).
It's only fair game Cat supporters do similar given the leniency he is allowed to get away with on this website.

Its a funny thing, hawks managed to get on top of cats last year in afl and vfl finals but if wed lost and gone to what ? Twelve losses in a row I dont think I could even post with the mental scarring.

As it is, even thoughh we won, it was still close and Im now able to see how much I respect geelong as a club.

So if its a hawks cats repeat this year and the cats win ? OK theres always next year and the usual banter etc

That's how I feel about last year. Our two clubs are titans of the modern era and this year is set to continue our magnificent rivalry.

They're like the San Antonio Spurs of the AFL.

Every year people think they must be 'due' to decline because so few teams stay up this long yet they are a model of consistency.

His threads on Geelong over the years (which have unfortunately fallen back a few 100 pages due to bumping of old threads disallowed) have been nothing short of assaulting, embarrassing for fellow Hawthorn people to put up with and outright psychopathic in nature in regards to his hatred toward certain individual players (Ablett Snr and Bartel).
It's only fair game Cat supporters do similar given the leniency he is allowed to get away with on this website

My other gripe with him is he has an unhealthy obsession with ages of players. He continually sprouts on our board how we must play lots of our young players, with no understanding that when you're in your window you need to capitalize. What geelong have done well (especially in 2011) and Hawthorn is doing lately is slowly introducing the younger players into the team without hurting the teams chances for premiership success. Yes the future is important but flags don't come easy and there are weeks you play more young players and there are weeks you can't afford to.

Geelong have supposedly been too old for years now and the same argument pre-season was about the Hawks. The obsession about age profiles of teams for the teams in their 'windows' is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Aslong as you incorporate the younger players gradually and not fill holes with too many older or recycled players ala St. Kilda and Richmond, then it really is an overrated issue that continually pops up about premiership sides.

Last edited:
My other gripe with him is he has an healthy obsession with ages of players. He continually sprouts on our board how we must play lots of our young players, with no understanding that when your in your window you need to capitalize. What geelong have done well (especially in 2011) and Hawthorn is doing lately is slowly introducing the younger players into the team without hurting the teams chances for premiership success. Yes the future is important but flags don't come easy and their are weeks you play more young players and there are weeks you can't afford to.

Geelong have supposedly been too old for years now and the same argument pre-season was about the Hawks. The obsession about age profiles of teams for the teams in their 'windows' is pretty ridiculous IMO.

Aslong as you incorporate the younger players gradually and not fill holes with too many older or recycled players ala St. Kilda and Richmond, then it really is an overrated issue that continually pops up about premiership sides.

Spot on mate..

My other gripe with him is he has an healthy obsession with ages of players. He continually sprouts on our board how we must play lots of our young players, with no understanding that when you're in your window you need to capitalize. What geelong have done well (especially in 2011) and Hawthorn is doing lately is slowly introducing the younger players into the team without hurting the teams chances for premiership success. Yes the future is important but flags don't come easy and their are weeks you play more young players and there are weeks you can't afford to.

Great post. Very well said.

Think it'll be the typical cracker next week, and you guys will just prevail. We're going well (and obviously rapt to be 4-0), but I suspect you'll be a little too good.

Only Gold Coast and GWS have blooded more youngsters then the Cats over the last two years. For Geelong to turn over more then half of their playing list in the past two years and still be up the top and competing as well as they have is a credit to their list management.

I do that (as you know) and the reason why Hodgepodge continually posts about it is simple; age can be used to indicate a teams premiership window as there are not many teams that win a flag with an average aged squad of 27 yr old's but a team of 25 yr old's. . . there are plenty as it's virtually the 'prime' time to be pushing for silverware depending on whether you have the right spine and cattle situated on the park or not. Hodgepodge is worried that if Lake, Hodge, Burgoyne and Mitchell eventually retire, do Hawthorn fall or do they have the goods to replace them right now, and/or in the coming year or two. At the moment he's happy because he refers to the stat sheet at the conclusion of every game and sees that Geelong are playing eight blokes aged 29 or over but Cat fans are quietly confident the likes of Kelly, Rivers and Stokes can be replaced in the next couple of seasons.
It's blokes like Bartel, Johnson and Enright who will impact the team if the coach fails to identify the right talent in which to get plenty of games into before those three eventually do retire.

Yeah some players can be replaced without too much of an issue and some just simply can't be replaced.

Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne simply cannot be replaced without any hurt factor to the team. Not many players have their class and overall impact to our team. Lake is another one but I don't think he will be as big of a loss than those 3.

Gibson will be another that has turned into a rock for us and he will hurt us when we lose him adding to the loss of Lake.

Hale and Sewell have been great for us but they're replaceable.

You are spot on with your players too. You simply can't replace Bartel, Johnson and Enright. Kelly, Stokes, Rivers whilst being great for you guys are easier to replace.

If we end up aroundabout how Geelong have ended up after losing some of their champs then I'll be extremely happy. I can't see us falling into the bottom 6 or 8 though and think we can remain a above-average to good side after this period. Still anything can happen and some young players may surprise and some may not develop at all.

Anyway lets hope for another cracker and no injuries next week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really, they're still playing the oldest list in the comp. 26 years and 5 months this round is the record again.
Man, you love to bang this drum. Yeah, but we have like 9 players in the side who have played under 50 games. The reason our list is older is that we actually make players earn their spots, so they have to play in the VFL for a few years before they get games in the AFL. So you rarely see any 18 year olds making their debut in the Cats. This is why we have a decent team, because we teach players how to play our brand before we throw them in the deep end. So our older list, doesn't necessarily mean we're a team full of veterans, which is what you are trying to promote.

People may view us as a contender, but seriously, hawthorn are miles ahead of everyone else, they are missing some very good players too and still smashing sides.

Their game plan is also 3 steps ahead of the rest of the comp, Clarko is a mastermind and the players are all playing their role perfectly.

Will be a cracking game next week but hawthorn should win by a few goals.

Brian Cook said something interesting the other day.
He stated that over his time at the club there have been 200+ players selected in the first round of the draft prior to Geelong having their picks.

Just goes to show that first round draft picks aren't the be all and end all of a clubs success, good coaching and development is a much higher priority these days, hence why players play a lot of game in the Cats VFL side learning the patterns and defensive structures before getting a game and the age of the weekly side being higher than that of teams who have no other option rather than to just throw the kids to the wolves and make them learn on the job.

People may view us as a contender, but seriously, hawthorn are miles ahead of everyone else, they are missing some very good players too and still smashing sides.

Their game plan is also 3 steps ahead of the rest of the comp, Clarko is a mastermind and the players are all playing their role perfectly.

Will be a cracking game next week but hawthorn should win by a few goals.
Sigh. I'm sick of hearing this crap from Geelong supporters over the past 6 years. Just don't celebrate as much as the rest of us when we win.

lol @ losing Max Bailey equivalent to losing Egan ... That's brilliant..
You lost Menzel, well we lost ........................ (ummmmmmm) Xavier Ellis :rolleyes:

Far be it for me to stick up for a Hawthorn player but if you remember back to '08 he did have a fairly handy GF, and with the exception of '10, was cruelled by injuries afterwards.

GF he had 21 kicks, 7 handballs, 14 marks and a goal with 3 rebound 50s and 5 into the forward 50.

Averaged around 20 disposals and 7 marks a game for the season

I have been trying to tell people for the last 6 months that Geelong won't drop. In fact I have them ahead of everyone's favourite side, Freo.

I know this is an old question cats fans are getting tired of, and the fact both they and Sydney have managed to stay up for so long goes against the notion of the premiership window. The cats have been up since 2007 - a truly remarkable feat, but i think this year in particular a few things point toward Geelong having a slide down the ladder.

1) Retirements and trades. Corey has retired, and Pods and Chapman have both been traded. All 3 of these blokes were best 22, and in return for the trade of pods and chapman Geelong received picks 64 and 84. Right from the outset they have been weakened over the off-season.

2) Over 30 brigade. Past your peak and more injury prone, the following players in this category include Bartel, Stevie J, Enright, and Kelly. Aside from Kelly, the other 3 blokes remaining fit and uninjured is paramount to Geelong having a good season, but its very improbable that all 4 players will have a 20+ game season.

3) Currently injured players. The changing of the guard is occuring at Geelong, but unfortunately a few of their young guns wont be starting the season. J.Selwood, Christensen, Menzel, Vardy and Motlop all wont be lining up round 1, with Vardy and Menzel done for the season, and Christensen being out for 10+ games.

Their round 1 team is going to be missing almost half of their best 22 from last year. Blokes like Blicavs, Caddy, Horlin-Smith, Guthrie, and Smedts will all need to step up IMO if they want to stay in the top 8, with a crucial period between rounds 3-12 which will most likely determine their fate. During this stretch they face the Pies (MCG), Eagles (Skilled), Hawks (MCG), Power (Ade), Tigers (MCG), Dockers (Subi), Roos (Skilled), Swans (SCG) and Blues (Etihad). Geelong only lost 4 games in total last season, but the 7 bolded games above they are a chance to lose and that would put them outside the 8 at the halfway point of the season.

I would be very surprised if the Cats finished top 4 again this year. Their best players have tasted lots of premiership success, are getting old, and a lot of their young players cant replace the outs that have occured in the past 2-3 years.

Prediction after regular season: 9th.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!! Don't worry mate, maybe west coast will find a way to score for three quarters of next weeks game against a side which isn't ageing and on the decline like Geelong last night. Lmao I have read this about five times today because it's making me laugh so hard coming from a west coast supporter after last night. Ahahahahahahahaha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back