Is this the year we finally see a player Kick a Ton?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
I feel if he remains injury free that Curnow is a decent shout this season. I think he'll get 80+ again and I expect The Blues to win at least 16 games during the home and away season. They're cherry ripe now. Curnow had a massive home and away season but wasn't in it come finals in 2023 but I also feel he was marked out of the game or didn't get enough ball presented to him. No question it's hard in modern footy to kick anywhere near the tallies of yesteryear. But Carlton look like they're going to be a team that's going to have a serious say in September for many years to come.

Carlton imo look like they're on the verge of a dynasty. I'm not sure if it's this year, I believe they're capable but I think The Pies-Lions have the biggest say again in Season 2024. But The Blues have all the tools necessary to launch a massive assault on The Premiership Cup for many years to come.

It's Curnow Time.

I feel if he remains injury free that Curnow is a decent shout this season. I think he'll get 80+ again and I expect The Blues to win at least 16 games during the home and away season. They're cherry ripe now. Curnow had a massive home and away season but wasn't in it come finals in 2023 but I also feel he was marked out of the game or didn't get enough ball presented to him. No question it's hard in modern footy to kick anywhere near the tallies of yesteryear. But Carlton look like they're going to be a team that's going to have a serious say in September for many years to come.

Carlton imo look like they're on the verge of a dynasty. I'm not sure if it's this year, I believe they're capable but I think The Pies-Lions have the biggest say again in Season 2024. But The Blues have all the tools necessary to launch a massive assault on The Premiership Cup for many years to come.

It's Curnow Time.
Curnow got to 81 with 19 against the eagles, in an anomalous year for the eagles. Tex similar to get to 76. I dont think anybody goes 100 this year

How do Carlton get to play North twice this season? Vicbias at work again!

North twice and West Coast once gives Curnow 30-35 goals? Just a measly 65 goals then needed from 20 matches - well within reach
Ahh. In the bag.

50 goals in each. Beautiful.

Does a club want a 100 goal kicker anymore, it means a lot of focus on one player, then if he gets injured or held in the finals the game plan goes out the door.
I believe that Carlton and Curnow will be that dominant that he kicks 100+

He'll get at least 80 again barring injury. Carlton will lose 6 games max all year. They could go 18-4 imo.

We are a bit of a ground and pound side so I'm not sure he'd get the delivery needed to kick 100. Our off season recruits have been a noticable improvement skill wise and our ball movements been a lot better at training but I still don't think we'll have silk like Geelong did in 2022 which imo we'd need for him to crack the 100.

Just can't imagine him wrestling and contested marking his way to 100 without breaking down

Until we have a big rule change, something like going down from 18 on the field for each team to 15, opening up more space and making it much harder to setup a zone defence we are not going to see any Key Forward kicking 100+ goals in a season.

It's Curnow Time.
Agree that Curnow is the only chance.

It won't happen. To get to 100 we'd need to focus on Curnow even more than the last 2 years, which would make the team perform worse and cause us to miss the finals, so then there wouldn't be enough games to get to the 100 anyway. It's a catch-22. And if we play better and make finals again it will be due to a more even spread of contributors so he wouldn't get 100 in that case either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why only Curnow, why not Tex or Larkey?

I expect Adelaide to improve this season and fight for a spot in the top 8 and perhaps thanks to relatively favorable draw could finish as high as 5th. They were a free scoring team last season, if they can take another step, create more opportunities and be a little more efficient in front of goals then I would think Tex has every chance of improving on last year tally, even though he may now be around 34.

North goes into this season with a stronger midfield and a more creative forward line, I don't think we will improve enough to jump out of the bottom 4 or 5 but I expect us to take another positive step with our attacking game and be more competitive longer in every game. If he gets an extra goal scoring opportunity each game and improves his accuracy another 3-4% he is a chance of improving on his 71 goals of last season.

Why only Curnow, why not Tex or Larkey?

I expect Adelaide to improve this season and fight for a spot in the top 8 and perhaps thanks to relatively favorable draw could finish as high as 5th. They were a free scoring team last season, if they can take another step, create more opportunities and be a little more efficient in front of goals then I would think Tex has every chance of improving on last year tally, even though he may now be around 34.

North goes into this season with a stronger midfield and a more creative forward line, I don't think we will improve enough to jump out of the bottom 4 or 5 but I expect us to take another positive step with our attacking game and be more competitive longer in every game. If he gets an extra goal scoring opportunity each game and improves his accuracy another 3-4% he is a chance of improving on his 71 goals of last season.
Well Tex is 34 this year, and with a young adelaide forward line youd imagine that Fogarty and Thilthorpe will get prioritised even a tiny bit more. He had a couple of anomaly games vs west coast to boost his numbers which is unlikely to repeat.
Larkey benefitted from being the only forward in a team that other teams didnt really care to overexert themselves in defence. If north improve at all, expect Larkey to have a much harder time. Remember Larkey got cleaned up in a 1v1 with Shannon Hurn near the end of the year, so youd imagine if a better team really wanted to, Larkey would get nothing as the sole target

Until we have a big rule change, something like going down from 18 on the field for each team to 15, opening up more space and making it much harder to setup a zone defence we are not going to see any Key Forward kicking 100+ goals in a season.
Disagree. .it'll be extremely rare these days, but we'll have another generational talent like Franklin come along and some point, and it'll occur. I reckon we'll see it once every 15-25 seasons on average.

Disagree. .it'll be extremely rare these days, but we'll have another generational talent like Franklin come along and some point, and it'll occur. I reckon we'll see it once every 15-25 seasons on average.

Even Buddy could not do it after 2008. Zones really began to come in after 2008, which is why even Buddy's goal kicking tallies went down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back