Certified Legendary Thread The Random Non Footy Chat Thread - General Non Footy talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what people think of duck hunting. I was staying with friends in Nagambie on the weekend, and they live on the edge of Lake Nagambie. It's duck hunting season, and hunters shoot ducks on the lake. We didn't hear any shooting during our stay, but our friends hear it a lot during the season. Issues?

Firstly, our friends have heard bullets flying over and near their house (friend is ex-army and knows a bullet when he hears one). This was reported to the police who insist that the hunting is lawful if the hunters don't fire in populated areas. True, but...

Secondly, our friends have two dogs. One gets terrified and upset, but the other loves it (has lab and spaniel in her I think), and goes all alert and ready to fetch the ducks!

Thirdly, it's questionable as to whether all the ducks killed are legally targeted birds.

Personally, I hate guns and don't see the point of killing animals (although I do eat meat). I also don't want to criticise recreational shooters who behave correctly and legally. But my friends hate duck season, dread it every year, and it impacts on them. They have owned their property for over 30 years, so it's not a case of recent arrivals complaining.

Last edited:
Wondering what people think of duck hunting. I was staying with friends in Nagambie on the weekend, and they live on the edge of Lake Nagambie. It's duck hunting season, and hunters shoot ducks on the lake. We didn't hear any shooting during our stay, but our friends hear it a lot during the season. Issues?

Firstly, our friends have heard bullets flying over and near their house (friend is ex-army and knows a bullet when he hears one). This was reported to the police who insist that the hunting is lawful if the hunters don't fire in populated areas. True, but...

Secondly, our friends have two dogs. One gets terrified and upset, but the other loves it (has lab and spaniel in her I think), and goes all alert and ready to fetch the ducks!

Thirdly, it's questionable as to whether all the ducks killed are legally targeted birds.

Personally, I hate guns and don't see the point of killing animals (although I do eat meat). I also don't want to criticise recreational shooters who behave correctly and legally. But my friends hate duck season, dread it every year, and it impacts on them. They have owned their property for over 30 years, so it's not a case of recent arrivals complaining.

Don't like guns, in fact I am amazed at hearing about shootings on the news. Where do they get the guns from?
Unfortunately shooters form a strong lobby group within Governments. Don't know why.

Not keen on it personally. I'm into fishing but am very much in the catch-and-release camp. Having said that, as long as duck hunting is practiced responsibly (excellent example given above; no firing into populated areas FFS!) I'm not one to force my opinion on others.

Guns are stupid, and the people that think that taking away their guns is taking away their freedom are stupid.
You couldn't be more wrong DThomas. If I didn't have this gun, the King of England could just walk in here any time he wants and start shoving you around. Do you want that? Huh? Do ya!?

You couldn't be more wrong DThomas. If I didn't have this gun, the King of England could just walk in here any time he wants and start shoving you around. Do you want that? Huh? Do ya!?
A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or, uh... or an alligator.

Killing animals for sport in a controlled humane way is completely fine imo, it's actually a very natural behaviour.
But can get out of control quickly.

I think it depends on the animal. Duck? I'm fine with but have no knowledge on it really.

As for guns, I'm very comfortable with the gun laws here and the people who are obsessed with guns seem weird. Although I wouldn't mind shooting some at a firing range.

Whoever is shooting at your house is a bloody idiot.

Killing animals for sport in a controlled humane way is completely fine imo, it's actually a very natural behaviour.

I don't understand how killing an animal for sport is a natural behaviour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because wild animals do the same thing
Sorry mate, we are not wild animals & do not live in a jungle. Does this look right to you?

A-team-effort.jpg

But can get out of control quickly.

I think it depends on the animal. Duck? I'm fine with but have no knowledge on it really.

As for guns, I'm very comfortable with the gun laws here and the people who are obsessed with guns seem weird. Although I wouldn't mind shooting some at a firing range.

Whoever is shooting at your house is a bloody idiot.

I'm thankful we don't have a gun culture here. Guns are very addictive, the power trip you get from holding so much power in your hands is too much for a lot of small minded individuals.

I'm thankful we don't have a gun culture here. Guns are very addictive, the power trip you get from holding so much power in your hands is too much for a lot of small minded individuals.
I agree with this. Maybe its when I shot a rifle a long time ago when I was like 12 maybe or maybe it's just the thought of it, but shooting a gun does seem exciting.

Each his own, but seriously,
Killing animals...sport...controlled..humane????

Yes you can control it, EG only hunting animals in a certain season and have a maximum on how many you can kill. You can do it humanly by making deaths quick and not making them suffer. I don't practice it but it is a pretty big sport world wide.

That's different. The animal is killing for food, not for fun.

Except animals do kill for fun. Animals such as foxes polar bears ect regularly (when food is plentiful) chase and kill animals for fun, it's been well documented.

I don't understand how killing an animal for sport is a natural behaviour.

Because it occurs naturally in the wild.
Sorry mate, we are not wild animals & do not live in a jungle. Does this look right to you?

A-team-effort.jpg

I don't know the story behind the picture so I can't say whether it's "right or wrong"

I don't know the story behind the picture so I can't say whether it's "right or wrong"
Who cares about the story. Trophy hunting or killing animals for the fun of it should not be legal in this day & age.
You want entertainment? How about a Lion vs a hunter with a knife in arena? Now, i will pay money to watch that.

It doesn't mean that we should though. We're not wild animals.

We are around 1% of our genetic code away from being a wild animal.

I don't see much difference between killing for sport and killing to eat, taking into account we don't NEED to eat animals we just do it for the ENJOYMENT. So both ways the animal dies and both times it's for our enjoyment... Is there really a big a difference as we like to tell ourselves there is?

Except animals do kill for fun. Animals such as foxes polar bears ect regularly (when food is plentiful) chase and kill animals for fun, it's been well documented.

There may be some examples but from what I know of the subject it is open to debate as to the animals true intentions. For example, a polar bear that kills when it is not hungry might be simply practicing hunting skills. The only thing we know for sure is that human beings definetly kill for fun.

I wont be able to handle seeing Liverpool win the league, even as much as i hate City they were robbed of 3 penalties today.

They still have to beat Chelsea. There is hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back