VFL competition is a mess

Remove this Banner Ad

We already have an interest. Every second Saturday afternoon at the Brunswick Street Oval.

What happens to THE Fitzroy Football Club already in the VAFA?

O dear, Please don't tell me you are happy with that. You and maximum 10 other people could possibly be happy with that. That is like being a prince, and getting demoted to the toilet cleaner. I played for VAFA, and it was a pretty good comp for a hack like me, but Fitzroy were in the AFL/VFL. They need a little more respect than that, surely you agree with that. Surely you are being sarcastic.

O dear, Please don't tell me you are happy with that. You and maximum 10 other people could possibly be happy with that. That is like being a prince, and getting demoted to the toilet cleaner. I played for VAFA, and it was a pretty good comp for a hack like me, but Fitzroy were in the AFL/VFL. They need a little more respect than that, surely you agree with that. Surely you are being sarcastic.

Without wanting to put words in Roylion's mouth I imagine he's happier supporting a team with heart and history than a soulless hulk that's been rebranded to have the same name.

We already have an interest. Every second Saturday afternoon at the Brunswick Street Oval.

What happens to THE Fitzroy Football Club already in the VAFA?

We promote them to the VFA, at the same time we kick all the AFL reserves sides out, into the 'AFL Reserves Competition'.

We fund this by fining Collingwood every time Eddie McGuire is a flog.

We promote them to the VFA, at the same time we kick all the AFL reserves sides out, into the 'AFL Reserves Competition'.

We fund this by fining Collingwood every time Eddie McGuire is a flog.

That'd drive Collingwood broke (not that that is necessarily a bad thing).

I'm wasn't a Fitzroy supporter so take this with a grain of salt, but I really enjoying going down to watch their games at Brunswick St Oval - Don't go to every match, but there are a few of us who make it down when we can, drink some beers, and soak up an atmosphere that may possibly resemble what suburban footy used to be -

Are any of you guys VFL regulars or is it just bigfooty banter. Eg like " we should have 24 teams, one in cairns, one in tiwi islands" etc etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. You get a reserves side playing at a good ground and they get dosh in return for sacrificing their heritage.
Box Hill is in the heartland of the Hawthorn supporter base, the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, and had a brown and gold jumper (with a mustang on the front) before it partnered with the Hawks. It had won two VFA division II flags, in 84 and 86, since joining the VFA in 1951. Since the partnership with Hawthorn it has won a further two (2001 and 2013), and been mightily competitive.

As for the loss of heritage, it's a load of uninformed rubbish and the people who run Box Hill are very happy with the partnership. The jumper colours are the same and it still has the mustang on the front, they still play out of Box Hill City Oval. The only change is they're called the Hawks and not the Mustangs.

However, now they field two exceptionally competitive teams each week. Since 2006 the BHH development squad (reserves) has played in the Grand Final every year bar 2007 and won four flags. Box Hill provides a clear pathway for recruits into the AFL, including Sam Mitchell, John Baird, Michael Firrito, Matthew Ball, Stephen Kenna, Michael Rix, Simon Taylor, Cameron Howat, Ben McGlynn, Lukas Markovic, Sam Iles, Ed Curnow, Cameron Pedersen, Robbie Cambell, Will Sierakowski, Jarrad Boumann, Sam Gibson and Adam Pattison. And they have a mass of new (Hawthorn) supporters who turn up games every week (I enjoy a can on the terraces and walking on the oval at 1/4 and 3/4 time to hear the coaches talks). It's a win-win for both clubs.

Box Hill is in the heartland of the Hawthorn supporter base, the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, and had a brown and gold jumper (with a mustang on the front) before it partnered with the Hawks. It had won two VFA division II flags, in 84 and 86, since joining the VFA in 1951. Since the partnership with Hawthorn it has won a further two (2001 and 2013), and been mightily competitive.

As for the loss of heritage, it's a load of uninformed rubbish and the people who run Box Hill are very happy with the partnership. The jumper colours are the same and it still has the mustang on the front, they still play out of Box Hill City Oval. The only change is they're called the Hawks and not the Mustangs.

However, now they field two exceptionally competitive teams each week. Since 2006 the BHH development squad (reserves) has played in the Grand Final every year bar 2007 and won four flags. Box Hill provides a clear pathway for recruits into the AFL, including Sam Mitchell, John Baird, Michael Firrito, Matthew Ball, Stephen Kenna, Michael Rix, Simon Taylor, Cameron Howat, Ben McGlynn, Lukas Markovic, Sam Iles, Ed Curnow, Cameron Pedersen, Robbie Cambell, Will Sierakowski, Jarrad Boumann, Sam Gibson and Adam Pattison. And they have a mass of new (Hawthorn) supporters who turn up games every week (I enjoy a can on the terraces and walking on the oval at 1/4 and 3/4 time to hear the coaches talks). It's a win-win for both clubs.
Not to mention the aligned clubs do everyone a favour by bumping up the standard of the competition.

Some of the stand alone VFA clubs (Port) and stand alone AFL reserves (Geel) have been strong over the years but it makes more sense to have less teams and a strong comp over all.

Those who have worked in alliances have generally propped up the standard of the opposition for those AFL clubs who went it alone.

16 teams seems way too many for the VFL though. I have severe doubts on the sustainability of Frankston, Bendigo and maybe Coburg.

Alignment is like saving a drowning man, but making him be your servant.

With those choices, can you blame the clubs for aligning?

I'll admit to not attending the VFL very often, but I went out to Coburg last weekend to watch the newly unaligned Lions play Box Hill. It was a poor game. Now that Coburg are unaligned they lack access to the resources and expertise of an AFL team, but don't have the recruiting allure of a team like Port Melbourne or Williamstown.

*does some back of the envelope numbers*

Nahh, at $20k per time fine, they can happily average a fine every 4 hours.

So you're arguing Eddie is only a flog once every 4 hours? Maybe when he's sleeping.

I don't mind the Box Hill/Hawthorn alignment, that would stay in my restructure if I was doing it. Colours and names are important to me, Hawks and Brown and Gold represent the Hawthorn Football club well enough. Hate seeing a player wear totally different jumpers, and a totally different set up the following year, because upstairs didn't think the alliance suited anymore.

Last edited:
And for the person who asked if we are regulars, answer to that is, regularly watch the Pies players to see our young kids, and how those individuals are tracking, but finding it harder and harder even though the Pies have a stand alone side to get really into the competition emotionally, because the competition as a whole, is a basket case.

Eddie has a moment maximum five times a year. You just hate the Pies, and will do anything just to bag them. Eddie does more good than harm. Better than a president that no body knows there name.

O dear, Please don't tell me you are happy with that. You and maximum 10 other people could possibly be happy with that.

Have you been to the Brunswick Street Oval to watch the Roys? There are a few more than 10 people there. Membership of Fitzroy is booming, with membership up from last year. Membership is currently at about a thousand, including shareholder members. About 400 people per year are season ticket holders.

I played for VAFA, and it was a pretty good comp for a hack like me, but Fitzroy were in the AFL/VFL. They need a little more respect than that, surely you agree with that. Surely you are being sarcastic.

It's easy to say Fitzroy should be promoted into the VFL/VFL or whatever it is called. It would be nice, but there a few practicalities to consider, including finding a suitable home ground, finding enough revenue streams to operate a VFL club and then finding the players to be competitive at that level.

It would cost about a million dollars a year for Fitzroy to operate sustainably in the VFA/VFL.

If people were really serious about wanting Fitzroy back in a higher league, they would be getting down to the Brunswick Street Oval, purchasing a membership and perhaps further donating/contributing to the club in order to help us reach A-Grade.

If and when we reach A-Grade in the VAFA, who knows what will happen from there.

I hate the way it is currently.. too many sides, doesn't seem to have a purpose.. is it development of up and coming AFL players or is it a proper football comp.. Too many byes. But the worst part is that I have an interest in Port Melbourne mainly because I live there, but am also a passionate Carlton fan so I never really engage with either the bullants or port Melbourne..

Could easily get the AFL clubs to have there own reserves fixture playing each other twice in an 18 game season.

If you had a stand alone VFL competition, reckon you could get the Brisbane Lions/AFL to pump in some $ to get Fitzroy back playing VFL and I reckon they would get a loyal following from the disenfranchised supporter. I would also scrap the VFL reserves and this would increase the standard at local suburban footy.
Frankston
Willy
Port Melbourne
North Ballarat
Bendigo
Coburg/Preston
Casey
Sandringham
Werribee
Fitzroy

Have you been to the Brunswick Street Oval to watch the Roys? There are a few more than 10 people there. Membership of Fitzroy is booming, with membership up from last year. Membership is currently at about a thousand, including shareholder members. About 400 people per year are season ticket holders.

It's easy to say Fitzroy should be promoted into the VFL/VFL or whatever it is called. It would be nice, but there a few practicalities to consider, including finding a suitable home ground, finding enough revenue streams to operate a VFL club and then finding the players to be competitive at that level.

It would cost about a million dollars a year for Fitzroy to operate sustainably in the VFA/VFL.

If people were really serious about wanting Fitzroy back in a higher league, they would be getting down to the Brunswick Street Oval, purchasing a membership and perhaps further donating/contributing to the club in order to help us reach A-Grade.

If and when we reach A-Grade in the VAFA, who knows what will happen from there.

This is not true, many of the old Fitzroy fans I know have there own local either VAFA or suburban club which they are aligned to, and see the Fitzroy Reds thing as a bunch of new age hipsters from the Fitzroy area who take there own beers along so they can experience the local football and nothing to do with ex VFL/AFL Fitzroy Lions. I am sure you mean well with your pursuit in the VAFA but you are severely under achieving if your only aim is to be in A grade ammos, when you should be aiming to rejoin the highest standard possible and to give the club relevance again.

1 million dollars, sounds a lot but I know many local level clubs in my comp EDFL that spend almost that much on player payments and is done without having the 'fitzroy' name behind them. I am sure with some lobbying the AFL and Brisbane Lions would get on board and help with a good part of the funding, and would be able to attract some serious sponsors. There is nothing wrong with Brunswick Street Oval as it is, Whitten oval is open to public and they are playing VFL games there now and if it were to host VFL football it all of a sudden becomes easier to get state funding to improve facilities.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back