Pick 15: Christian Howard

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Putting the boots in " is a little emotive !
If you think I am getting great pleasure as you put , because I don't believe Howard is AFL standard you are sadly mistaken.
in fact the opposite is true , as are all on this board that have the same opinion I would think.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:( X 100 Ok ?

I was not trying to target anyone with my comment King. I just think people tend to write shit online that they would never say to someone's face. I also can fully appreciate someone suggesting I am being overly precious in taking this point of view.

I posted this in the Changes thread when someone referenced his great kicking ability, and will repeat it here:

"I wanted to see evidence of this last week, I really did. His first three or four kicks were average at best, did pass one later that looked ok. For several years now, some people have said he has the kick, just needs to address the rest of his game.

I think the kid tries, and I know he's had injuries, and supposedly personal issues if some posters are to be believed.

To me, he just looks like an average footballer, who seems unlikely to carve out an AFL career.

I will cheer for him when he plays, and I'd never abuse a player at a personal level at a game, or on this board, but I really just don't feel he's up to AFL standard.

If he proves me wrong, that's great, and I will congratulate him. I still can't see it though."

I am not "whipping" him, I think I am making a fair critical assessment, without resorting to insulting comments.
Not disagreeing. The term whipping boy is a popular one here for anyone who gets regularly criticised (fairly or not). For what it's worth I agree with your assessment and I think it's a fair one (and I too hope he proves us wrong).

The point of my post was that I paused for a moment to think how the players would view it if they read 200+ posts of non-stop criticism, some of it a good deal harsher than anything you or I have posted about him, Ivan. No doubt some players do read BF, or have done in the past. They really would need to be pretty resilient or thick skinned.

I then had a flight of fancy that Macca could get these kids to face the truth and HTFU by forcing them to read all the posts! Sink or swim.

The problem with giving this bloke 3,4,5 games is that he is keeping out one of our younger players that will make it from gaining that game experience, he has had like 5-6 years to stand up and show what he can do, his VFL form wasn't screaming out pick me it was an average game followed by a good game. I hope he proves me wrong but i can't tolerate players who don't put in effort and i saw very little from him last week which is when his effort should have been close to the highest in the team given how he finally gets a chance handed to him, maybe that's is the reason for the little effort that he didn't have to work enough for his chance.

He's had a few years on our list, but in terms of experiencr wise, he's still one of our young players.

How bad have his injuries been? Are they something thats going to plague him forever, or is it something that just wiped out his first few years at thd club?

He's had a few years on our list, but in terms of experiencr wise, he's still one of our young players.

How bad have his injuries been? Are they something thats going to plague him forever, or is it something that just wiped out his first few years at thd club?
Had double hip surgery in the last off season, so definitely still troubling him. Hips usually trouble you for a long time, so i'd say it will be ongoing.

Had double hip surgery in the last off season, so definitely still troubling him. Hips usually trouble you for a long time, so i'd say it will be ongoing.

Didnt he have issues when he first arrived as well?

I think that's what a lot of people are glossing over fitzroybulldog and Igloo

He has never really had a lot of chance to get a decent run at it, whether it be from an injury standpoint, and then from there has never had a full chance to adjust to the pace of AFL footy. I like the kid, I don't rate him highly at this point in time, but like any other player that plays for the Dogs, I want to see him do well.

A lot of people out there will say that he should have been delisted at the end of last year, but if you look at how much our list has been turned over in the last few years, and if you also look at his age profile and talent in comparison to those that have been moved on, and coupling that with his hip problems, he may not "deserve" to still be on the list, but we actually have to exhaust what we can out of him before making the call. It's like what Macca said last year, some players just don't mature mentally until later (see Grant). We are still in a rebuilding and development phase, and he is still developing as a player, and it's like Cordy this year, he is finally getting a decent run at it to show some consistency, and now is the time to show his wares compared to the late draft pick non entity that would have been picked up in his place had we delisted him.

I'm fine with saying his output to date has not come close to matching the pick we used on him, but I think, with the introduction of our own development team in Footscray, this is the best year to make a final judgement call. I just hope he takes his chance with both hands. I'm not ready to pull the pin on him until he has a couple more games to adjust to the pace and have some consistency.

Hope he shows some good signs tonight after getting a confidence boost by his inclusion. Would love to see him a dill out of some of the posters on this forum!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3d3ZYiQ.png

All the best in your future endeavours Christian (not trying to be facetious)

Jasper McMillan-Pittard
Daniel Menzel
Nathan Fyfe
Ryan Bastinac
Aaron Black
Travis Colyer
Jake Carlisle
Mitch Duncan
Jack Gunston

Jasper McMillan-Pittard
Daniel Menzel
Nathan Fyfe
Ryan Bastinac
Aaron Black
Travis Colyer
Jake Carlisle
Mitch Duncan
Jack Gunston
You can do this with any player in the AFL. Forget his draft pick, it's haunted him (and us) enough during his career.

You can do this with any player in the AFL. Forget his draft pick, it's haunted him (and us) enough during his career.
Don't worry, that'll probably be the last time I (need to) rag on about it.

Won't be long before this thread is dead & buried for good, and good riddance.

The worry is no longer Howard. His selection has helped put this club where it is today.
My worry how the f... He was drafted where he was.
Now the next question I would like answered is why Fuller was taken where he was ?
Pathetic drafting. Both don't make any sense considering where the list was at.

The worry is no longer Howard. His selection has helped put this club where it is today.
My worry how the f... He was drafted where he was.
Now the next question I would like answered is why Fuller was taken where he was ?
Pathetic drafting. Both don't make any sense considering where the list was at.
Fuller was pick 42 in a shallow draft, I really don't understand people bemoaning this pick. Obviously we just didn't have our eye on anyone else, and from what people here knew/saw he looked like a good pickup that hasn't worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back