Multiplat Outlast

Remove this Banner Ad

Gave the first couple of bits of Daylight a go tonight before The Shittening's DLC comes out this week.

It's not bad. Starts off fairly well anyway, good atmosphere, decent style of play (better 'mission' style than Outlast) and when you see the 'enemy' it is truly a frightening experience. Granted they are seemingly easily dispatched (although on hard I could see that being an absolutely terrifying encounter).

The sound design is outstanding, with some great deep rumbles and creaks and overall atmospheric sounds always making you unsure of what you're doing and where you're going.

So, not bad so far. Not necessarily a must buy just yet as I can see where some annoyances could come in (there are a lot of repetitive hallways and rooms with nothing in them), but decent enough so far to put in further time.

Just started eh? Must mean you're quite close to the end then. ;) Heard it's only 2 hours long or something, but you're the first person i've seen with a semi-decent review of it. A lot of others are panning it.

I wonder how this DLC slots into the original game !. At what point do you take control of the new character? do you have to play through the entire original game before getting to the new stuff?.

Just started eh? Must mean you're quite close to the end then. ;) Heard it's only 2 hours long or something, but you're the first person i've seen with a semi-decent review of it. A lot of others are panning it.
It's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. I can see where some would have issues, and I don't think the procedurally generated environment would work in the first area, but it does what it goes out to do. Which is to offer a good scary environment with plenty of atmosphere.

Will get further in tonight and see if it stumbles at all. But right now, I could see this being better than Outlast.
I wonder how this DLC slots into the original game !. At what point do you take control of the new character? do you have to play through the entire original game before getting to the new stuff?.
It's a prequel to the main game and the main reason your character goes through what he does in the main game.

Into the 2nd part of the Daylight now and I'm going to have to give this one a recommendation.

From what I could tell via IGN's review, they were shitty at the initial progression mechanic not being overly well explained (which I could see being an issue if you didn't realise you had to potentially backtrack - the map can be somewhat confusing too). But otherwise, this game does horror really well.

The 2nd part ramps it up and while there's plenty of resources (on normal) to ward off the enemy, it doesn't stop them sending a chill down my spine every single time I see one coming after me.

From what I've read, the game only gets better from here as well.

Outlast had an absolutely brilliant opening with some decent moments scattered throughout afterwards. Daylight is currently rock solid in it's consistency of horror.

Very much enjoying it, well worth it if you're a horror game buff.

Nice one. I'll definitely look to pick it up during the next big sale on Steam if it gets discounted. btw, Outlast DLC is out now on GoG, not far away from being on Steam apparently.

Just downloaded the new DLC and will fire it up abit later on..
In the main game menu there is an option to play the DLC ,so it functions separately to the main game .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not digging the DLC

- too much darkness and constantly being chased everywhere. Hard to take in the atmosphere .

-plot wise ,the asylum seems even more out of control and destroyed then the original game. Even though you are supposed to be there when the problem is just about to outbreak with things largely in tact. Only the opening sequence makes any sense.

Finished up Daylight, have to say it surprised me how good it was. Constantly creepy.

Does lack elements in overall direction, but if you can notice the clues of what they want early on you should be fine after that point.

Overall, I think it was quite a lot scarier than Outlast, granted I didn't die once...so I don't really know what that means. But when you read about and generally do die in horror games, it can often kill the tension. So that element was always there for me, especially in trying to evade death (I wasn't going out to intentionally not die). But, like I said, it was just consistently scary compared to Outlasts brilliant opening and considerable falters towards the end.

The story was surprisingly decent too, despite it coming mostly in reading segments and one clearly end defining piece at the end of the game.

That being said, can't wait to jump into the Outlast DLC and give that a bash now that I'm done with Daylight.

Started this last night, far out its a scary game, the music is so god damn creepy, have already paused the game a few times to have a break.

Resumed playing last night, walked around a bit, ran out of battery and was left in complete darkness, so I thought f*** that and that was it for the night.

Really good game but I'm not sure I'm able to finish it, scariest game I've ever played.

Battery management is part of the game. There is a brutal section in the DLC where you get all your batteries taken away and you have to navigate a nasty section on the camera lowlight while being chased. Lost count of the amount of times I got killed trying it.

Lol I can't even get past the part where you have to turn on the generators, the guy just keeps finding me time after time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back