Multiplat Outlast

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplayer would be dreadful, it's survival horror for a reason!

Says you.

However I could and others could have great fun in a party chat in a online co-op mode.

Says you.

However I could and others could have great fun in a party chat in a online co-op mode.
No, says the genre.

The aim of the genre isn't 'fun' either.

No, says the genre.

The aim of the genre isn't 'fun' either.

Why would I base my opinion on what the genre is? It's my own opinion about playing the game.

Put it this way even in this game when we have 8 of us on party chat playing the game we had great fun. There is no reason why fun can't be had on a game like this.

Survival horror games can absolutely be co-op and still be scarey. Matter of fact I had more scares playing with Igloo on party chat then playing alone.

Why would I base my opinion on what the genre is? It's my own opinion about playing the game.

Put it this way even in this game when we have 8 of us on party chat playing the game we had great fun. There is no reason why fun can't be had on a game like this.

Survival horror games can absolutely be co-op and still be scarey. Matter of fact I had more scares playing with Igloo on party chat then playing alone.
But you didn't play it in co-op, so your experience of the game was predicated on how it played solo, not with others.

In order to make a game co-op the entire game has to be changed and thus scares would change and even the story would be completely altered. The experience of Outlast, does not suit co-op.

It might suit party chat, but that does not equal co-op.

But you didn't play it in co-op, so your experience of the game was predicated on how it played solo, not with others.

In order to make a game co-op the entire game has to be changed and thus scares would change and even the story would be completely altered. The experience of Outlast, does not suit co-op.

It might suit party chat, but that does not equal co-op.

I don't think you understand what I said. Suggesting an online co-op mode does not affect the single play offline game. I'm also not fussed if this particular game or DLC of this game offers a co-op, merely making an observation.

Says you.

Co-op makes games 1000x more fun than they are normally. FGMPR and I used to play online co-op games all the time, it turned FEAR 3 from a 4/10 to a 10/10 in terms of fun. Same with Brutal DOOM 2 co-op, that game was already a 10/10 but having someone in co-op with you made it absolutely phenomenally fun.

The company who made the game are only a small team. They dont have the resources to support an online game.

In other news ,I was reading some tweets and it seems that there will be further games in this series that will take place at different locations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scariest part of the game was when those butcher brothers chase your through the ward, and you had to push draws and tables into doors to slow them down, or they'll catch up to you and kill you. Or that part early in the game when you first encounter them in that dark hallway with the windows, took me ages to figure out that you had to hang outside the window otherwise they'd kill you. :(

The scariest part of the game was when those butcher brothers chase your through the ward, and you had to push draws and tables into doors to slow them down, or they'll catch up to you and kill you. Or that part early in the game when you first encounter them in that dark hallway with the windows, took me ages to figure out that you had to hang outside the window otherwise they'd kill you. :(

Little pig scared the s**t out of me.

For some reason i got that part with the window straight away, only because there was a tutorial about it 5-10 minutes before it. :p But yeah the environments are extremely creepy. I always have trouble telling the difference between an enemy that chases you and just general nutters that cause no harm.

I think the bit that scared the s**t out of me the most so far was when i was in the sewer and that big huge guy spotted me and started chasing me, and i just made it into a small tunnel ahead of him that you have to crouch down to get into. Well, initially i thought i was safe and kind of breathed a sigh of relief, only for my progress trying to move up the tunnel being halted by him dragging me out by my feet. Was completely not expecting it, i was literally like "YES! I'm safe.....Oh s**t! No i'm not, NO I'M NOT!" :D

For some reason i got that part with the window straight away, only because there was a tutorial about it 5-10 minutes before it. :p But yeah the environments are extremely creepy. I always have trouble telling the difference between an enemy that chases you and just general nutters that cause no harm.
I ran down the hallway, encountered the first butcher bro, was killed instantly. Second time I went to him and then ran away thinking he would chase me, only to run into the second brother at the other end of the hall, who promptly killed me with the cleaver. Third time, saw the open windows and was like 'ohhhh' lol
I think the bit that scared the s**t out of me the most so far was when i was in the sewer and that big huge guy spotted me and started chasing me, and i just made it into a small tunnel ahead of him that you have to crouch down to get into. Well, initially i thought i was safe and kind of breathed a sigh of relief, only for my progress trying to move up the tunnel being halted by him dragging me out by my feet. Was completely not expecting it, i was literally like "YES! I'm safe.....Oh s**t! No i'm not, NO I'M NOT!" :D
Haha yeah that big guy did that to me too, this time was when your navigating the outside area towards the end of the game, he was chasing me and i tried to crawl under a bit of fence but he grabbed my legs.

Good game though thought the last chapter wasn't that scary compared to other parts of the game (maybe because it was mostly well lit?).

Not sure if I have the courage to go back and try and platinum it though :D

Good game though thought the last chapter wasn't that scary compared to other parts of the game (maybe because it was mostly well lit?).

Not sure if I have the courage to go back and try and platinum it though :D
I recommend trying it, it makes it pretty intense despite you know what is going to happen

I recommend trying it, it makes it pretty intense despite you know what is going to happen

I believe some people have done things like speed runs - IMO, I found the scariest bits when you were waiting for something scary to happen. When you were being chased, I oddly felt less scared. :D

Given there isn't much on the PS4 at the moment, I might go for the platinum (still working on Infamous Second Son and playing my PS3 a fair bit though!).

Whistleblower DLC out next week. Likely to cost around $15 (no price on discount nappies though:().

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/outlast-dlc-whistleblower-comes-to-pc-and-ps4-next-week
Developer Red Barrels has announced that its survival-horror game Outlast will receive its DLC, Whistleblower, next week.

According to Red Barrels, Whistleblower will release online on PC and PS4 on May 6 - with the exception of PS4 players in Europe, who will be able to buy it on May 7. It'll cost $9.

In the announcement, it was revealed that Whistleblower would put the player in the shoes of a software engineer named Waylon Park, unveiling the final chapter in the story of Mount Massive Asylum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back