Lake's Brainplosion

Remove this Banner Ad

It is fair to say he was lucky the first time.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-24/mrp-full-statement-round-13
Contact between North Melbourne’s Drew Petrie and Fremantle’s Zac Clarke from the fourth quarter of Sunday’s match was assessed. The panel said Clarke had his elbow across Petrie’s neck region as the two players were grappling, holding him down on the ground. Petrie was not looking at his Fremantle opponent as he tried to push him off him, and he made contact with Clarke’s facial area. After viewing all available footage and receiving a medical report from the Fremantle Football Club, it was the view of the panel that Petrie’s contact to the face of his opponent was minimal and the action by Petrie was primarily to push his opponent off him. No further action was taken
Yes, clearly Petrie was in no discomfort there, and had no right to try to stop Clarke from choking him.

NORTH Melbourne defender Scott Thompson confided in teammates yesterday he felt he was seconds away from losing consciousness after he was put in a headlock by Western Bulldog Barry Hall during a fiery clash at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Tension between the two clubs reached boiling point last night in wake of four reports being laid from the Bulldogs' 70-point win.

Hall and Thompson were reported for wrestling each other, Thompson for headbutting and Hall for engaging in rough conduct in the shadows of half-time.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...all-headlock-20100523-w3y3.html#ixzz36mr13yt2

This would be the most similar incident in years...

Big Bad Bazza just copped a fine

Of course Brian will get 2 weeks as we play the Swans in... 2 weeks I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also got a phone call from Jeff Gieschen, congratulating him for showing such self-control.

It is amazing that none of the footy talk shows or journalists have been unable to bring up the Barry Hall headlock decision in their rush to pot Lake

I was tempted to slam Brian Lake until I saw this picture in this thread:

http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2014/07/65481_09ab7cb96a9a314ae3d4fee3f3a49fca.jpeg

Brian Lake and Drew Petrie are two of my favourite players, but the way they both acted was pretty deplorable (no excuses for choking or eye gouging). Wrestling is part of the game. Drew needs to work on not reflexively going for a person's face. Brian needs to work on his temper.

Simples.

I was tempted to slam Brian Lake until I saw this picture in this thread:

http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2014/07/65481_09ab7cb96a9a314ae3d4fee3f3a49fca.jpeg

Brian Lake and Drew Petrie are two of my favourite players, but the way they both acted was pretty deplorable (no excuses for choking or eye gouging). Wrestling is part of the game. Drew needs to work on not reflexively going for a person's face. Brian needs to work on his temper.

Simples.

Umm if he was gouging he would use more than a pinky finger

If it there is any truth to the fact Petrie nearly/ somewhat did 'pass out' - Would it not be fair to overturn his reprimand? That would almost be an act of self defense.

The problem being (if he did almost pass out) he will deny it happened "players code" - So either he unnecessarily gauged Lake or did it in desperation.

The AFL need to make an example of Lake I feel. Players will lose their tempers in the heat of battle quite often - but they have to know the no go zones regardless of circumstances.

Also, the AFL have confirmed that the “unnecessary and unreasonable contact’’ to Lake’s face happened before the strangling. I don't think it's fair to say that Drew Petrie is entirely blameless of these circumstances considering this fact.

reference: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-thats-no-excuse/story-fni5f0at-1226980883740
How can the AFL base the decision on medical reports when there is no way to tell what was pre and post strangling?

Secondly the side on angle provides a bad angle to view it as it is hard to judge depth the other angle show Petrie trying to get his arm between himself and Lake

Lake.jpg

Not going to argue the point. Don't want to remember anything about that game!
it's sad that this incident has taken the attention away from what was a great win for NM
If it there is any truth to the fact Petrie nearly/ somewhat did 'pass out' - Would it not be fair to overturn his reprimand? That would almost be an act of self defense.

The problem being (if he did almost pass out) he will deny it happened "players code" - So either he unnecessarily gauged Lake or did it in desperation.

The AFL need to make an example of Lake I feel. Players will lose their tempers in the heat of battle quite often - but they have to know the no go zones regardless of circumstances.
i think the players code goes out the window when you're at the tribunal trying to save your own skin, this could be a ruse by the afl to compel Petrie to tell the whole story rather than cover for Lake, and thus enable them to make an example of Lake, which they should as that conduct should be stamped out of the game.

EDIT: surprise surprise Petrie's case is first to be heard

Last edited:
How can the AFL base the decision on medical reports when there is no way to tell what was pre and post strangling?

Secondly the side on angle provides a bad angle to view it as it is hard to judge depth the other angle show Petrie trying to get his arm between himself and Lake

View attachment 66578
It's probably this point of view (this was before the strangling for clarification):

jpeaza.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back