Opinion Richmonds future direction with Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

That's one thing I like about Ross Lyon. When a player earns a spot if he delivers he keeps his spot and it doesn't matter if he's a fringe player making way for a regular...if you deliver, you keep your spot.
Not from what I saw, which is why the saints are in the straights right now. He played favorites bigtime.

Maric had a set-back.... he had all of the off-season to get over his 2014 injuries.... don't think the club should cop that....

When was Vickery playing injured at the end of a season?
The docs/surgeons are all for players avoiding surgery in the long term so unless it is the only option they avoid it. All docs do this and ours aren't any different.

Well I would get used to it and no amount of bitching about it is going to make it happen.

Well get used to it ... I've been here for 12 years and I'll post how I like.... If you think I'm bitching than fine. Ignore me.

Morris' injury is to the AC joint on not the shoulder joint. 2 completely different beasts. The surgeon was on SEN today and he described GAJ's injury and why the reco was necessary. It was also asked about the ac joint and he said this is different as the joint doesn't need anywhere near the recovery from surgery and can be managed a lot easier with strength(he actually said you don't have to have the surgery) and recovery training.

I heard that segment, good radio - I thought he qualified that by saying 'unless you are an elite athlete' ? like he did a few times throughout. When he was talking about the everyday Joe who needs to work and can get back to light duties in 2 months, regular in 3 but then also said 'elite athletes I recommend at least 6'. Happy to be corrected if I misinterpreted

It's pretty ****** basic isn't it. You're best 22 or you aren't.
Arnot and O'Hanlon are not.
Come Sunday we will probably find that neither are Hampson or Thomas. They'll probably play at Geelong.
I hear what you're saying but if O'Hanlon isn't best 22, then he shouldn't play at all. If they want to have a decent look at him, then he shouldn't be played as sub.

You can't give a player a 30-40 minute look in and then drop him the next week unless they were bloody awful and he wasn't awful. Some of our match commitee selections this year have been woeful, lacked foresight and have probably created doubts amoungst the playing group as to what you have to do to make it into the senior team this year.

I was at the VFL game on Sat and I didn't think that Hampson did enough to earn a recall. He may only be in the extended squad but if we're picking a best 25 that needed a ruckman in it, then Stephenson was head and shoulderrs above him and has been all year. I will give Hampson credit, he did take a couple of marks and even kicked a goal. But we need more than that. If we were picking teams with absolute integrity, them the Big O woulld have played more often than he has. If we were playing teams with absolute integrity to the future, then McDonough, Lloyd, Miles and Griffiths would have played more often. I don't have a problem with dropping players for poor form but it needs to be applied across the board. Like another poster mentioned, Ross Lyon doesn't discriminate because of age or reputation and some of our senior players have flown under the radar. Malthouse is another example. Carlton may be struggling this year but just wait and see what he pulls out in the next couple. His record is quite phenomenal and despite how annoying he can be, he's a Tiger at heart!

I'm not in the sack Hardwick camp but he needs to lift massively next year for me to stay in his corner.

Well get used to it ... I've been here for 12 years and I'll post how I like.... If you think I'm bitching than fine. Ignore me.
Do you think that I think it would change your posting? Im just exercising my right to my say as well, which is regardless of what any of us think, DH will at least be here for the short haul(next year), so we should just build a bridge and get over it. You can still bitch about it, if that what takes your fancy.

I heard that segment, good radio - I thought he qualified that by saying 'unless you are an elite athlete' ? like he did a few times throughout. When he was talking about the everyday Joe who needs to work and can get back to light duties in 2 months, regular in 3 but then also said 'elite athletes I recommend at least 6'. Happy to be corrected if I misinterpreted
yes he was talking about a shoulder reconstruction like GAJ when he talked about that.

Can't believe the carry on over Matty White. He had his time at Richmond and did a few good things in his last year, then he got a better offer and took it. If Richmond matched the offer that would have just been another opportunity to slam Dimma.
Come on Spud it's nothing to do with that
It's about failing to realise and develop the potential on your list and to gift contracts and games to people who will not be in our next final appearance in 2023
Newman and king should have been tapped last year before White
Houli Grigg Newman Hampson and an Injured Morris should not be taking development time from Griffo
Arnot OH Mcdonough McBean etc
We need to fast track youth to start our climb to the top. If our Admin can't see it like the Dogs Dees Lions Saints WCE and CFC then we will be left behind with an aged and tired list which will be competitive enough to not get flogged ,but always fall short to the EPL teams of the AFL plus the two expansion clubs
This White angst is frustration with the lack of vision with our coaching dept and a real fear that we could lose untapped talent this year in Griffo Arnot Helbig etc etc
If this coach is allowed to roam the Tiger jungle with an M16 his damage could be irreversible and long term. This is the worry held by members and this is why they refuse to turn up to support this tyrant
If there was life in the club like 2009 even though we were losing faithful fans would turn up. Who could be bothered when a team named with Newman Houli Morris Thomas Petterd Hampson etc is named week after week before a team which could offer future and hope like 09

That really is annoying. Just because we have a history of sacking coaches doesn't mean that we should blindly stick with the wrong person. If you have the wrong person in charge, you should find someone else, regardless of how that decision will be perceived.

The same is true for the contrary situation, but the point is that the present should not be crippled by the past.

http://www.oneweekatatime.com.au/to-swing-the-axe/
Our last three coaches have all over stayed their welcome and Spud and Wallet left us in a rabble bc we failed to pull the pin early.

It's pretty ****** basic isn't it. You're best 22 or you aren't.
Arnot and O'Hanlon are not.
Come Sunday we will probably find that neither are Hampson or Thomas. They'll probably play at Geelong.
Well if its basic why can't DH work out that our retreads and Golden Oldies are fxxkxd and of no future to the success of the RFC?:)

I hear what you're saying but if O'Hanlon isn't best 22, then he shouldn't play at all. If they want to have a decent look at him, then he shouldn't be played as sub.

You can't give a player a 30-40 minute look in and then drop him the next week unless they were bloody awful and he wasn't awful. Some of our match commitee selections this year have been woeful, lacked foresight and have probably created doubts amoungst the playing group as to what you have to do to make it into the senior team this year.

I was at the VFL game on Sat and I didn't think that Hampson did enough to earn a recall. He may only be in the extended squad but if we're picking a best 25 that needed a ruckman in it, then Stephenson was head and shoulderrs above him and has been all year. I will give Hampson credit, he did take a couple of marks and even kicked a goal. But we need more than that. If we were picking teams with absolute integrity, them the Big O woulld have played more often than he has. If we were playing teams with absolute integrity to the future, then McDonough, Lloyd, Miles and Griffiths would have played more often. I don't have a problem with dropping players for poor form but it needs to be applied across the board. Like another poster mentioned, Ross Lyon doesn't discriminate because of age or reputation and some of our senior players have flown under the radar. Malthouse is another example. Carlton may be struggling this year but just wait and see what he pulls out in the next couple. His record is quite phenomenal and despite how annoying he can be, he's a Tiger at heart!

I'm not in the sack Hardwick camp but he needs to lift massively next year for me to stay in his corner.
Just because O'Hanlon isn't best 22 doesn't mean he shouldn't play last week.
There were openings last week for him to move into the best 22 that week but it's been closed off again with guys coming back.
Without really understanding how they view the matchups against Port I'm not really to know why Hampson comes into the 25 but I think the selections show pretty clearly we are still about winning as many games as possible.
Whether I agree with that or not I'm not sure but that's how it is.
Regardless whether that's the right approach or not, if it is the approach the right team has been selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if its basic why can't DH work out that our retreads and Golden Oldies are fxxkxd and of no future to the success of the RFC?:)
Maybe he has more idea than you do?

Maybe he has more idea than you do?
Bad point RD As I was responding to your post. My ideas are irrelevant to DH unless some one passes my posts onto him. If the case then I feel honoured to have my posts considered whether useful or not.
I would expect him to have a better idea bc that's what he's been paid to do
;)

Last edited:
Sub and played a quarter and dropped. What a disgrace.

Extended bench is not the point, the point is that it clearly shows a pecking order and one that is distorted from the reality of where our team sits.
Cotch said on The Footy Show we are not getting consistency of effort. Might have something to do with the same old names keep getting a million opportunities regardless of effort or performance. It doesn't matter what they do they will play.

It gives me so much satisfaction knowing some of you miserable sad sacks can't cope with the fact Damien Hardwick is coaching us next year.
It frightens me a bit how upset some people still are that Matthew White rejected our offer and turned his back on the club. I sincerely fear for your mental stability should your girlfriend ever leave you. It's been 10 months guys, time to put the tissues away, time to move on, stiff upper lip.

TE="Bird Man, post: 33985863, member: 105903"]we traded a good draft pick for hampson so dimma has to play him[/QUOTE]
Interesting theory. Blokes getting picked based on what they were traded for. Very interesting theory indeed. Never really thought that would be a factor myself but great theory, will take it on board. I thought he might be in the selection mix because he's 10th in the AFL for hitouts per game & our #1 ruckman is 23rd plus he has improved his game in the two's recently but nope I think I'll go with your theory about something that occurred in trade week last October. Yeah that seems closer to the mark and the more educated reasoning.

The thing is we are back in with a chance to make finals and or 9th so we MUST pick the best 22. Therefore Hampson and Thomas have to play. If you see the ladder predictor, in the form that we are in beating a solid St Kilda and Brisbane, we are likely to win our next 7 games and finish the year with 12 wins. Yer it's not 15 wins like last year but if we win our first final who knows from there. I get what Dimma is doing. I get it! All aboard!

That's one thing I like about Ross Lyon. When a player earns a spot if he delivers he keeps his spot and it doesn't matter if he's a fringe player making way for a regular...if you deliver, you keep your spot.

Hmmm Alex Silvagni would say otherwise. Ross is a good coach but this is probably his one and only questionable area.

People whinge when we don't pick players on form but then whinge when we do pick players on form.

Arnot & O'Hanlon

or

Morris & Vlastuin

Which players would people rather in the side?

That is the changes for this week. If 5pm tomorrow night the changes are Arnot & O'Hanlon out for Hampson & Thomas then people would have a reason to whinge, but given that is unlikely to be the case I really don't understand why there is such hysteria, other than the same old people just can't resist another chance to rip into the club again.
Unless Arnot & OH are injured why did he even need to list his outs. He could do that Friday 5pm

Put myself through an almost unbearable hour last night to see Cotch on the footy show only to hear him use the team is low on confidence excuse. Sheesh, how much confidence must Arnot and OH have now? How much confidence would big Oren have? How much confidence do guys like McDonough have seeing the same guys "low in confidence" get their names on the team sheet each Thursday arvo.........

If the guys lose confidence after a few losses early in the season then what does that tell us all? They are mentally weak and the coach can't get em to fire. I know the coach can't be held responsible for everything but gee getting the guys prepared and ready to go next week is his responsibility surely?

He is the head coach, the buck stops with him.

Do you think that I think it would change your posting? Im just exercising my right to my say as well, which is regardless of what any of us think, DH will at least be here for the short haul(next year), so we should just build a bridge and get over it. You can still bitch about it, if that what takes your fancy.

We will just have to disagree in the difference between bring someone to account and bitching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back