Traded Rhys Stanley

I love how every now and then, because they're both blond talls, the commentators get confused but have found a way to get away with it.

"The ball comes in to Ree......." and then either "s Stanley" or "woldt", once they get a better look! :D

Now we know what he can do.

He has set the bar.

Consistency, not ability, is what he must work on moving forward.

I always thought people were a bit crazy suggesting we trade Stanley. He has freakish ability and he just needed a solid run of games to realise it. I'm guessing he will still have some quiet games but talls take time and he isn't even close to his prime!

A couple (3-4?) grabs on the lead last night, marking the ball at its highest point, a good 2 feet off the ground - no defender is going to get close to spoiling these.

Really enjoyed his game last night.

Confidence & consistency is what Rhys needs.

He has huge upside.

Confidence, effects work rate and visa versa... It's a cycle

When one is up, it drags the other with it..... What Rhys needs to do is understand that the one he can control is work rate and not wait/hope he gets his confidence up. If he brings consistent effort he will fluctuate less.... Instead of only having the confidence to present if he's playing well.

No doubt it was his best career game. I can't remember another game where he really dominated. This is what he can do when he has confidence in himself and finally has some good delivery going his way.

Hopefully, he continues this form for the rest of the year.

Goldstein was just on the Sunday Footy Show and said that Rhys Stanley was one of the most underrated back up ruckmen in the comp ;)
Bloody oath, his huge leap makes him extremely difficult to beat at the centre bounces in particular and he seems to direct his hitouts very well on a regular basis. His hitouts to advantage are often served up on a silver platter.

He actually spent more time in there earlier in the game yesterday than he has for much of the year. Spent a fair chunk of the 2nd quarter in there. In most games this year he's barely spent any time in the ruck in the first halves.

Potentially huge game for him yesterday, for his confidence, as much as anything. So bloody good to see!

Last edited:
A couple (3-4?) grabs on the lead last night, marking the ball at its highest point, a good 2 feet off the ground - no defender is going to get close to spoiling these.
The amazing thing about his game yesterday is that despite taking 14 marks, he left at least 3-4 out on the park as well, as it was very noticeable to me at the ground that he mistimed a lot of his leaps. There were at least 3-4 where he simply leapt too early and by the time the ball got to him he was on the way back down again, which is the last thing you want, so if he learns to time all of his leaps better he will take even more marks.

"It was only a matter of time until he had a game like that. It was a breakout game for him," Savage told AFL.com.au.

"He's always had that talent and he's one of the hardest trainers at the club.

"He was a massive presence up there."

"He can be a really dangerous forward. The challenge for him now is to keep that consistency up," Savage said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-20/stanley-a-star-on-the-rise

Showed his worth last night.
Either increased his market value dramatically or secured his future with us for 3 years.
Hope it's the latter.

Instead of trading to Richmond for a 2nd rounder we can ask for their first rounder. They have to expect to pay more than Hampson. But yeah i hope its the latter.

Longer, Hickey, Gilbert, Riewoldt, Stanley and Lee were all standing together today.

Stanley is very big, albeit athletic

Longer was clearly the biggest of that group, Hickey a coat hanger

Stanley wasn't the only saint to play to the level hoped for by many. Savage was very goo running off the half back line. Gwilt looked more comfortable having Fisher in the back line. Our midfield unit was "up and about" all getting heavily involved. Bruce was very good as a leading presence from the goal square, I think he made a few Dockers check the on coming traffic.

I caught snippets of his interview at the beach this morning.

The guy looked genuinely happy.

I haven't seen him express serious joy on the footy field before. Even after he did something good, you could see a slight hang dog expression on his face.

I hope that the positive press he'll get all week will make him realise there are great rewards for marquee forwards. Especially in the Melbourne market where the two highest profile forwards in Melbourne town after Riewoldt (and previously Franklin) are Cloke and Jack Riewoldt, two extremely limited forwards compared to our Riewoldt and the big forwards of yesteryear. The market will reward a dominant (and handsome) big goal kicking forward because that's what excites people.

Have people lifted their expectations of Stanley now? I don't have any "Roo replacement" expectations, I'd be more than happy if he just proves he can lock down the forward/ruck role for years to come, anything more than that is gravy.

Back