Cronulla Sharks players accept doping bans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saad had a positive test for a banned substance.

I'm aware of that but it's still a joke of a system when a player taking a slightly dodgy protein shake available over the counter cops an 18 month ban while players involved in a systematic doping program basically get off scot free without missing a game.

probably says more about Cronulla's ability, or inability, financially to support their players and fight the charges
much easier for them to cop a 3 week suspension, when they are at the bottom anyway, and have their players ready for pre-season in November.

i feel sorry that the players have been railroaded into accepting a 'guilty' plea.

How I take this is that ASADA believes that the players had no idea and could not guarantee what was injected into them via Dank's program. They were also impacted by the running of the EFC investigation which caused further delays which unfairly impacted the NRL players. Also, once the deal was offered, the NRL did not go to court, they quickly accepted the terms offered and now that ASADA have a conviction they can throw there full resource at going at the staff that allowed this to happen...coach, dank etc.

Now with Essendon, the players have rejected the offer. They have allowed Essendon and supported Essendon in trying to fight the SC notices. Now that ASADA can fully focus on Essendon without another investigation stretching there resources..it does not bode well. I doubt ASADA will offer the same deal. I believe Gillan has already confirmed no new offer is on the table. My belief the Essendon players are facing 2 year bans.

The key for them is to get the admission of guilt. The penalties are secondary. They will close any technicalities from here and really gear key legislation points to team sports as the current code was really looking for doping Olympians and individual sports for the most part. It may make a mockery of claims about no deals, but it would also make a mockery of anybody who thinks they have nothing and couldn't get make charges stick against the Sharks.

A year out of the game is averted but the conviction stands forever. These teams are fortunate they are the first test cases for ASADA. Everybody else that is stupid enough to follow is going to be obliterated you would think.
Yes and I'm surprised so few understand what has happened today

The whole 'ball game' has changed from today onwards

1 November 2013 is, apparently the date (in ASADA's estimation) that they would have issued SC notices if not for the administrative delays that came from resources going to other matters, ie, Essendon.

That is the reason for that specific date, as given by ASADA.

Seems like a funny way of doing it to me.

Paul Gallen has plenty of records to be stripped.

The Sharks stone walled and dragged the investigation out as long as possible. Then got almost the entire ban back dated because it took too long. Amazing stuff.

If the Queenslanders try to overturn the State of Origin, its civil war time.

Yes and I'm surprised so few understand what has happened today

The whole 'ball game' has changed from today onwards

Well for one, it proves the Sharks players knew they probably took the substances and were only trying to get off by putting the blame on the supplier and the fitness guy. If they knew they didn't take anything, they'd fight it.

Gallen is holding out because of his reputation so I would think some truly believe they were misled, but that takes away their personal responsibility. It also helps to remove those that allowed this to happen from the game. Bigger picture.

Not sure what it means for Shane Flanagan as he returns from his year off over governance issues. Players will be pretty upset if he goes as they love him. Does change the landscape though.

I'm a Sharks fan and I think they were culpable and I am glad they have taken the deal. I hope players won't sue the club for their loss of reputation since they can't sue for loss of games (well 3 games or so depending on those playing finals)

I'm a Sharkies fan.

If they are guilty then I'll be glad if they admit to it. The penalty seems too light though.

Yup, take it and run and thank Christ that we still have a club to support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Queenslanders try to overturn the State of Origin, its civil war time.
lol, indeed. They could have stripped him of his achievement as leader of the Blues. It is one of the guarantees he sought in taking the bans. That that would not happen.

Talk about pandering to drug cheats.

probably says more about Cronulla's ability, or inability, financially to support their players and fight the charges
much easier for them to cop a 3 week suspension, when they are at the bottom anyway, and have their players ready for pre-season in November.

i feel sorry that the players have been railroaded into accepting a 'guilty' plea.

Cronulla only have 4 players effected, and two of those are barely in the starting line-up apparently. There was no incentive for Cronulla to fight when 13 of the 17 are retired or elsewhere. From Cronulla's perspective the whole case is basically Paul Gallen and Wade Graham.

Very different at Essendon were 20 currently listed players are involved according to Paul Little.

This is a disgusting decision. how the hell can you backdate a penalty when they have been playing all season??

Australians are the first to have a go at a sportsmen being found guilty of drug cheating but when it is one of our own we let them off with a slap. It is bloody disgraceful. This whole thing has been a balls up from day 1, the politicians grandstanding to ASADA and WADA (or whoever they are) doing dodgy dealings.

This is a disgusting decision. how the hell can you backdate a penalty when they have been playing all season??

Australians are the first to have a go at a sportsmen being found guilty of drug cheating but when it is one of our own we let them off with a slap. It is bloody disgraceful. This whole thing has been a balls up from day 1, the politicians grandstanding to ASADA and WADA (or whoever they are) doing dodgy dealings.
The veil is starting to lift on what this has always really been about hey?

The key for them is to get the admission of guilt. The penalties are secondary. They will close any technicalities from here and really gear key legislation points to team sports as the current code was really looking for doping Olympians and individual sports for the most part. It may make a mockery of claims about no deals, but it would also make a mockery of anybody who thinks they have nothing and couldn't get make charges stick against the Sharks.

A year out of the game is averted but the conviction stands forever. These teams are fortunate they are the first test cases for ASADA. Everybody else that is stupid enough to follow is going to be obliterated you would think.
"the penalties are secondary"

Amazing. HTB you never cease to amaze

I agree. Get the verdict, get it on record. Then set about smacking the AFL and ASADA about the head for stuffing up, the AFL for being self serving manipulative idiots. It won't affect Essendon but a loss of face is enough ... we know all about that.

and one for Princes Park please.

question can we stagger the three week suspensions or should we just forfeit the first three games of 2017?

Well we forfeited the first 4 weeks this year without any benefit so it's not a foreign concept to us.

Alberto Contador got a 2-year ban with 18 months backdated. He copped a big fine (year's salary) and lost all his results in that 18-month period. Tennis player Marin Cilic got a 9 month ban; but was only off the court for Sep-Feb, lost his results and ranking points etc as well.

Yet another dilemma of the one-model approach. Backdating can still hurt tennis players, athletes, cyclists etc but is pretty meaningless in our team-sport codes. There isn't anything to strip them of.

"the penalties are secondary"

Amazing. HTB you never cease to amaze

Sorry, I'm ODN not HTB. Upgrade those lenses Lance.

How about this .... IMO the bigger issue is the admission of guilt, not the penalty. Guilt sticks, penalties fade. I reckon I might know something about this feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back