Cronulla Sharks players accept doping bans

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I'm ODN not HTB. Upgrade those lenses Lance.

How about this .... IMO the bigger issue is the admission of guilt, not the penalty. Guilt sticks, penalties fade. I reckon I might know something about this feeling.
yes it's a bit unfair I know, to generalise the views of the HTB on to you. Not specifically you, but some of the backflips are quite remarkable

This reported deal is nuts.

At least it means they admit to being drug cheats.

Players like to think they leave a good legacy behind. This would stick in the craw somewhat. That's why Gallen is the last hold out. He has more to lose and he might be prepared to give up his last year or two in the game to save that reputation.

I an no lawyer and far from the most intelligent person on the planet, but how can things be backdated? "Hey Mr Murderer, we have convicted you of killing someone in 1982 and given you a 30 year sentence. Since the offence was back then, we backdated it, so you can now walk free if you sign this deal."

Seriously WTF? Am I missing something?

Presumably the NRL will now penalise Cronulla and several other teams for fielding banned players during this season.

Right?

...guys?

Only to players who by all accounts were taken for a ride. I doubt the same applies for those truly "responsible".
correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of the NRL players continue to see Dank after being told not to, presumably knowing full well what they were doing?

Penalty: 3 weeks off

I an no lawyer and far from the most intelligent person on the planet, but how can things be backdated? "Hey Mr Murderer, we have convicted you of killing someone in 1982 and given you a 30 year sentence. Since the offence was back then, we backdated it, so you can now walk free if you sign this deal."

Seriously WTF? Am I missing something? They are basically copping a suspension that isn't a suspension. Same amount of time missed as our old mate Boomer Harvey copped for belting someone.

Political solution.

Politicians don't do murder cases.

Sorry, I'm ODN not HTB. Upgrade those lenses Lance.

How about this .... IMO the bigger issue is the admission of guilt, not the penalty. Guilt sticks, penalties fade. I reckon I might know something about this feeling.
While I agree with the sentiment, you can only do that here because of the ludicrously light penalties. All I've heard for 18 months is strict liability and 2 year bans (sometimes 4 because we're being d-bags about it). These players offer no assistance whatsoever and get a 3 week ban.

I have no idea what this means for Essendon, but its pretty poor if all the Sharks players get off with a slap on the wrists. I thought the reduced penalties meant not only a confession but for the player to give evidence against another athlete which results in a conviction.

Have to wait and see.

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of the NRL players continue to see Dank after being told not to, presumably knowing full well what they were doing?

Penalty: 3 weeks off
They may have and if the "deal" extends to those guys, we can discuss the level of Bull s**t of one size fits all.

I have always maintained the most important thing to me is that result become official, the Boys Club can Boys Club all the desire after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expected leniency.

Happy for all the Cronulla players that this is all but over for them.

Next stop us! Then we can go back to enjoying footy...eventually.

yes it's a bit unfair I know, to generalise the views of the HTB on to you. Not specifically you, but some of the backflips are quite remarkable

Look, in the spirit of an irrational hatred towards a rival whose fans like to make our fans feel like crap as much as humanly possible, I was not adverse to a lengthy suspension for players. Anything that weakens a rival and makes them humble is okay for this passionate tribal football fan.

I do see the need for players to be responsible for everything they take but do understand this doesn't always work in a football environment. Players were stupid and I think some should have known better and refused. The young guys were lambs to the slaughter though and if I wasn't so tribal, I would suggest they get 0 penalty and profuse apologies from older players and the club.

At the end of the day, a season winning a spoon with a team of VFL imports is self indulgent wishful thinking. I'd take the dose of humility and a hesitation in taunting others about their lack of ethics and morals. Between Carlton and Essendon, maybe once everybody has got their own back and healed their scarring, they can both back off when it comes to cheap point scoring over questionable recent histories. It won't stop others smacking us around though ... until their turn comes.

Interesting that the all the times in the other threads I pointed out Essendon will be getting a lettuce leaf sentance, all anyone had to say was "as if WADA would allow it" etc

Face it guys, Essendons punishment for all this will be equivelant to a scratch on a bumper bar

Interesting that the all the times in the other threads I pointed out Essendon will be getting a lettuce leaf sentance, all anyone had to say was "as if WADA would allow it" etc

Face it guys, Essendons punishment for all this will be equivelant to a scratch on a bumper bar

If Essendon are offered the same deal this week, and told to accept it by Friday, they will be almost certainly forfeiting the round 23 game and the Elimination Final.

If I was an EFC supporter I would be buoyed by this result.

What kind of precendent has it set?

Can anyone see EFC players getting a harsh penalty after this mornings proceedings?

I can't...

Not saying I like with what has transpired today though...

Haha, well played sur!
334275-david-hille.jpg

If Essendon are offered the same deal this week, and told to accept it by Friday, they will be almost certainly forfeiting the round 23 game and the Elimination Final.

and Hird is back next year and this whole thing is 'put to bed'

Like I said, lettuce leaf

Its a disgrace that anybody who was involved in the administration (esp Head Coach) that injected players with substances that they kept no records of and cant confirm which type of substance it was is allowed anywhere near a sporting code again

I have sympathy for the players, on one hand I dont want their careers ruined because of what the bombers coaching and admin staff did to them, on the other hand I dont want players who have illegal drugs in their system while playing in our league

Untl Essendon can prove they werent administered illegal drugs I cant see how anything besides bans and a complete rehaul of the entire administration and anybody involved at the time is acceptable punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back