Work & Education you pick one's spelling and grammar thread

Remove this Banner Ad

With all due respect to Supahoops I never for one minute ever considered anyone else could have been loony enough to even dream of such a thread ,lesson learnt.:(
I can't believe it's 8 PAGES LONG!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I mean... what have they been talking about?? Grammar?? Spelling??? Are they NUTS??? That stuff's for teachers and university professors!

I can't believe it's 8 PAGES LONG!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I mean... what have they been talking about?? Grammar?? Spelling??? Are they NUTS??? That stuff's for teachers and university professors!

cartoon.jpg

It's an indictment on the Australian education system that so many people in this country are borderline illiterate. I'm not referring to the stray apostrophe here or there, either. I'm referring to fundamental grammatical errors which have permeated through the youth of today.

The incorrect usage of 'then' and 'than' bugs the crap out of me because, not only do the two words have nothing to do with each other whatsoever, their incorrect usage can actually result in a sentence fundamentally changing to mean something completely different.

Other blatant grammatical errors which annoy me are: The erroneous contraction of could've to 'could of'; your in place of you're; bin in place of been; his in place of he's; their, there and they're. My head now hurts.

Don't be a Nazi Sam.

Opps looks like I broke Godwin's Law. I lose.

Ditto. Very clever. Then you'd be aware that playing the "Hitler card" prematurely means
you're still in the game?;)

Bonus thread, I've learned about memetics, and not from Fred.

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ditto. Very clever. Then you'd be aware that playing the "Hitler card" prematurely means
you're still in the game?;)

Bonus thread, I've learned about memetics, and not from Fred.

:D

You wouldn't learn about it from me, that's for sure, ever since I first read Dawkins' chapter on it I've regarded it as a gigantic "in" joke.

Thanks omnipotus mods who hover above us, somewhere.

I had to look that up.
I wonder if that's the word you meant to use, allrighty?? You could get a ban from the mods for calling them that. Oh, that's right- this is the spelnig thread. Phew- I think you can get away with it here. obviously you meant the other word.... the nice one... yeah, that's it :)

Isn't memetics all about me me?

Haha. Me and you actually. A meme is a cognitive or behavioural pattern that can be transmitted from one individual to another one.
So to make it relative, it's a bit like meto's persuasive desire to chop TV off at the knees.
After a while, we begin to think we had the same idea.
:p

You wouldn't learn about it from me, that's for sure, ever since I first read Dawkins' chapter on it I've regarded it as a gigantic "in" joke.

When I pick the little one up from kinder and I find myself lambasted for sending her with a banana muffin, I find myself calling them muffin Nazi's. Then I have to question myself in regard to Dawkin's stupid theory. Damn that man for sapping my insult confidence. Not that I could explain this to the kids.

There were a few "then"'s around yesterday posted on the post mortem thread posts, but I moved along quickly. Perhaps I am growing up.

View attachment 75950
I saw them too ;) Thought of bringing the perpetrator into here and chastising them but didn't want to embarrass them...
As soon as your name popped up again here, I figured that was what you were going to talk about ;)

Cheerio- I'm going back to the main board to hunt down some more Grammar stranglers!!

There were a few "then"'s around yesterday posted on the post mortem thread posts, but I moved along quickly. Perhaps I am growing up.

View attachment 75950

We need another button, one that automatically fixes up the errors in the posts of other people as the posts hit the Board, even if it only shows on your computer, so you are happy without giving offence.
But you should have the option of giving offence if you want to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back