Past Ryan O'Keefe - 2012 Norm Smith medalist, retired 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

It not the sort of stuff he likes

May of been Carl Rackermann i read said something like i didnt announce i was making my debut, why announce my retirement, some guys just play til they are booted out and dont give a crap about some lap or chairing off its not their scene

How the club organises one is a difficult question, but I think ROK should do a lap, just so that the many many Swans fans can say thanks.
We all still love him, it's a crying shame he is not playing seniors but it would be nice for the fans to get to say thanks and goodbye.

Would we have to wait for a full lap given how slow he is? :p

May of been Carl Rackermann i read said something like i didnt announce i was making my debut, why announce my retirement, some guys just play til they are booted out and dont give a crap about some lap or chairing off its not their scene
Only difference between a debut and a retirement is you've got something to reflect upon in a retirement, as have the fans.

Carl Rackemann is not a great example either, was a s**t bowler, not much better than Scott Muller or Andy Bichel. ;)

Who cares if ROK does do a lap or not, maybe he doesnt want to do one

Fair enough. But I don't particularly care what he wants. It's good for the Swans family. Closure is great. Especially for those in the stands who've bled red and white and care far more about individual players than they'll ever care in return.

Tbh most players are pretty embarrassed by a lap. But while they're wincing and being bored little kids in the stands are getting a cherished memory.

Seriously, it's not all about the players. And in fact regardless of what the industry might want to believe it's not even a little bit about the players. They are just the players. We are football.

And seriously a two second wave with no eye contact, how hard is that anyway? :p

Fair enough. But I don't particularly care what he wants. It's good for the Swans family. Closure is great. Especially for those in the stands who've bled red and white and care far more about individual players than they'll ever care in return.

Tbh most players are pretty embarrassed by a lap. But while they're wincing and being bored little kids in the stands are getting a cherished memory.

Seriously, it's not all about the players. And in fact regardless of what the industry might want to believe it's not even a little bit about the players. They are just the players. We are football.

And seriously a two second wave with no eye contact, how hard is that anyway? :p

Matthew scarlett just waved his powerade bottle :p

I've been told that the reported stoush between ROK and Buddy earlier in the year was true. It's a reasonable source so I'm inclined to believe him

But personally I doubt it had much effect on him not being in the side anymore. It's a sad case regardless

I've been told that the reported stoush between ROK and Buddy earlier in the year was true. It's a reasonable source so I'm inclined to believe him

But personally I doubt it had much effect on him not being in the side anymore. It's a sad case regardless

No doubt there was more than met the eye to his dropping and not being recalled since we will probably find out exactly what happened in a few years.

Oh well cant expect everyone to get along.

It is disappointing that the bloke who won our Norm Smith medal in '12 and who has been a great contributor for the club over many years is going to be departing in this way. I hope he does a lap of honour next week against the Tigers at ANZ. But all the best to RoK.

If Hawthorn fall over the line the day before, and therefore we couldn't be dislodged on percentage,

I wouldn't mind if ROK got a farewell game.

Having watched the streamed NEAFL games when I can and seeing RO'K live the other week, any calls for him to be returned for a farewell game are nothing but wishful thinking. At the start of the year I was one critical for his lack of run, being run off of by a rebounding defender too easily and relying too much on the blind snap / turn and long kick into the forward line. What I have seen in the reserves games is the exact same thing. I think we all agree the quality of the NEAFL is not extremely high and if he can only manage that quality of play I can only imagine how he would look at the top level. I respect his self belief that he can play on at AFL level but I just can't see it happening. To be honest I really hoped he would have called it quits this week so the fans could say goodbye with a lap of honour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tough call by horse, but the right one. unfortunately for rok, we havent missed him in the seniors, and the kids who have stepped in have performed to an excellent standard. we haven't seen many "deer caught in headlights" moments which generally tends to happen with kids, so it's all looking promising for the swans.

thanks for the service rok, you've always been professional, and have helped us win 2 premierships and surely helped develop countless players in your time at the club. sometimes a dip in form comes at the wrong time, which is unfortunately the case here, but doesn't change a career.

thanks ROK, hope you achieve as much success in your next endeavour.

He's doing a half time farewell lap on Saturday.

He has retired Vonn? or just a way for us to thank him for his wonderful services over the years.

AFL.com is all a garbled mess for me atm.

I've quoted the relevant bits from sydneyswans.com.au.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2014-08-28/swans-to-pay-tribute-to-okeefe

THE Sydney Swans will pay tribute to dual premiership champion Ryan O’Keefe at this Saturday’s match against Richmond at ANZ Stadium.

O’Keefe, who sits fourth on the all-time games record list for the Swans with 286, will feature in a lap of honour at half-time of the Swans final home and away match of the season.

While O’Keefe has not played senior football since round four, he is yet to make a decision about his future in the game.

The 33-year old said he understood he was unlikely to play senior football for the Swans again, but wanted to farewell and thank the Swans faithful.

Looked shattered for sure. Guess he fronted the players, maybe he asked for one more game on weekend.

He has been a superstar

I hope he retires in a way would hate to see him elsewhere plodding around a shadow of his old self, but if he gets a chance hope it goes well and he gets to 300

Great to see we'll get a chance to salute the great man. What a career. If he moves into some sort of player/assistant coach role elsewhere next year, power to him. But he'll always be an AA quality Norm Smith medallist and dual Premiership player at the Swans to me.

Back when we were the Ford Cortinas of the League as Kirky described our workmanlike list in '05, he was a dead set Ferrari. Watching the talent running around now, it's clear the rest of the team has risen to match his level - so much so he couldn't get a run this year. But on balance that's a great thing for the club.

Superstar. :thumbsu:

Club legend. Gave his all every week and got the best out of himself. Will go down as an all-time great Swan and whether or not he plays at a new club next year I wish him all the best and hopefully he comes back to be involved with the club when he has retired.

This memory of ROK sticks out for me.

Salute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back