Mega Thread The Western Bulldogs - The Sack Macca saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
HE STARTED THE GAME WITH A 5 MAN FORWARD LINE !!!!
I was astonished and looked down to GWS forward line expecting to see a Lockett or the likes down there.
My recollection is different, as was the people sitting around me - Cameron started with a 7 man defence, we started with a traditional 6,6,6 structure.
We were all commenting about what the hell Cameron was thinking, a dead rubber game teaching kids to play with a 5 man forwardline and how it can't be good for GWS' development.

My recollection is different, as was the people sitting around me - Cameron started with a 7 man defence, we started with a traditional 6,6,6 structure.
We were all commenting about what the hell Cameron was thinking, a dead rubber game teaching kids to play with a 5 man forwardline and how it can't be good for GWS' development.

Dont you be bringing facts into this discussion...... Dont you dare now.....

At the risk of over-simplifying the situation with our team at present, I offer this contribution so that fence-sitters, zealots and lazy Bulldogs Big Footy members like me can have their say.

Tick the appropriate comment below:

_____ Macca's game plan is crap

_____ Players lack the speed and skills to carry out the game plan

_____ Both of the above

I will bet my life on it. I actually took a pic which I've deleted after I sent it to someone !
I was looking for our sixth and looked like he lined up at half back.

5 minute sin things may have been different but at the first bounce definitely only had 5 down there.

Careful of what? Good grief.

TDC is one of the best posters on here. Doesn't get sucked into petty arguments and provides statistical backing for almost everything he says.

Given we've got no evidence, it's totally subjective at this point. Clearly some see things differently to others.

I will bet my life on it. I actually took a pic which I've deleted after I sent it to someone !
I was looking for our sixth and looked like he lined up at half back.

5 minute sin things may have been different but at the first bounce definitely only had 5 down there.
We definitely only had six in the backline - maybe we played a high forward to run into the centre to get to the contest?
We've done that a bit this year - I've noticed Koby often runs up, sometimes Dahl. Our sixth forward provides a presence in any contested situation from the HBF tot he forwardline - many of our goals have come from stoppages so it's definite plan.

We definitely only had six in the backline - maybe we played a high forward to run into the centre to get to the contest?
We've done that a bit this year - I've noticed Koby often runs up, sometimes Dahl. Our sixth forward provides a presence in any contested situation from the HBF tot he forwardline - many of our goals have come from stoppages so it's definite plan.

so now you are not sure about our forwardline ? We may have only had 6 traditional backs but my point is about leaving a loose man in our defence.
I never mentioned our backline did i ? All I said is we had 5 forwards against their 6 backs at the first bounce.
I mentioned our extra was at half back / wing. So we are both right which surprises me why you suggested I was wrong before without you being truly positive on what I said.

And I think TedDougChris needs to pull back on firing off comments like his one without knowing the actual "FACTS".
This is the second time he has jumped in on the back of one of your comments Mofra with a comment accusing me of not knowing my facts and second time he has been wrong.

Think twice before hitting the reply button mate. Maybe consider contributing something other than drivel TedDougChris .
Or at least start bringing your own facts and figures to the table rather than ride on the coat tails of others.

No offence to you mofra who I enjoy discussing actual footy with.

so now you are not sure about our forwardline ? We may have only had 6 traditional backs but my point is about leaving a loose man in our defence.
I never mentioned our backline did i ? All I said is we had 5 forwards against their 6 backs at the first bounce.
I mentioned our extra was at half back / wing. So we are both right which surprises me why you suggested I was wrong before without you being truly positive on what I said.
I didn't accuse you of being wrong - I merely said my recollection was different.

It's clear to me that we value numbers around the ball, which has led to us having a higher % of handballs to kick than I'd prefer.
It's why we can generally go with sides and the only blow outs are with teams that get a huge number of outside runners combining with getting close in the contested ball (hence Gaff cut us up at the start of the year).

I still think our biggest issue (despite cattle) is scores from turnovers, they are killing is.

Are you calling me a liar ? You think I just make stuff up do you ?
Be very careful as Ive seen you say this sort of rubbish before.

I'm freaking terrified here..... Love the hypocritical attitude too. My posts are 'rubbish', but criticise yours and I have to be careful.

I'm freaking terrified here..... Love the hypocritical attitude too. My posts are 'rubbish', but criticise yours and I have to be careful.

I stated a fact - and it is a fact - Mofra assumed otherwise - and you assumed Mofra was correct.
I am telling you to check your "FACTS" before going off at people as you have made the same mistake twice now.

and I am not threatening but trying to help you from making an idiot of yourself.
You are doing a good job at making yourself like a fool - you need no help from me.

Are you calling me a liar ? You think I just make stuff up do you ?
Be very careful as Ive seen you say this sort of rubbish before.

For the record, my post was based upon Aretha's line in the original Blues Brothers...

"Dont you blaspheme in here, dont you blaspheme"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The extra man/men in defence always generates debate. Am worried when we have a two or three on, defending a high ball as often we end up losing the contest. Yesterday saw Higgins in q4 and Stevens in q3 playing as the +1 and both had NFI what to do compared to Freo etc,

Haven't been that active on here lately due to a number of reasons, not just on here now due to the loss on the weekend and will not be demanding Macca to be sacked right now, reality is whether we want that or not he is contracted for two seasons, another season like this next year he may be in trouble. I have major concerns over Macca as a coach but not just him our entire coaching pannel.
I will start off with the positive i see from this season, the development of our younger midfielders has been very good they have stood up this season and have taken the next step.

My concerns smaller ones first bar Liam Jones our set shot goal kicking has been woeful and a lot of players have gone backwards in this department and at a lot of crucial moments we have badly missed easy set shots.

Our continual over use of the football, our players get clear and instead of looking up field and kicking to a target we handball to guys standing still and facing the wrong way it's like under 12's stuff.

Continual lapses in games where the opposition put us to the sword and take the game away from us.

Now one of the major concerns, Selection has been woeful this season the amount of times we have gone into games with undermanned teams height wise, we have relied on Crameri and Stringer to play tall instead of being the medium sized that they should be, I think we could have given the opportunity of a forward line with Jones, Redpath/Campbell, Stringer and Crameri a go for a recent run as we continually played just one proper tall who also had to second ruck leaving us with no true tall forwards during that period and allowing or tall to be continually double teamed. We went short in the backline most weeks, we should be getting games into a Talia or Roberts along side Roughead and Morris leaving Morris to take the third tall and to drop off and help the young key defenders out as they learn, I don't rate Austin playing ahead of Talia and Roberts. Earlier in the season we had Wood and Young playing as tall defenders, just unbelievable selections all season.

The game plan I see concerns in the future with as when/if we finally get a deep key forward we will need to change our game plan to adjust to having that tall there and it will take time for the players to adjust to it, like with when Barry Hall came to us it took half a season or more before we adjusted to not just bombing to him continually and for players to learn their roles as to whether they are supposed to be mainly crumbing forward or a marking forward, we have issues with this at the moment with Dahl flying for marks against Stringer and Crameri.

Game day coaching decisions there have been some very bad decisions at times but i believe this is the easiest fix as a senior assistant could help this immediately by having an experienced voice in the coaches box to help with ideas.

Like I said at the start he will not be sacked so there is no point ranting and raving but I believe if there are no results next season and we aren't pushing towards the eight then he must be under extreme pressure and sacking must be an option, you can't just hang your hat on developing the younger players extremely well which i think he does but that is just one part of the senior coaching role.

How many years did Clarko and Thompson get before they got results, and then won a flag? Pretty sure there were calls for both of them to be sacked after a couple or so years as well. Malthouse a very overrated coach usually takes a few years to win one. Changes and success doesn't happen over night, and sacking and changing coaches, game plans and draft philosophies every two seasons never works, ask Melbourne. I am still willing to persist with Macca as a development coach for the kids as the signs ARE there. We still have to many holes, and the senior players didn't play as well as last season, probably due to their own effort than anything

Macca should be sacked on the basis that he creates angst for bigfooty posters. Some seriously emotional people over the last few days. People calling people liars other threatening to punch their computer screens :D
Anger fades I'm more worried about people posting borderline suicidal things like us being on the lowest rung of the AFL or not being a good club because we gsve up a big lead in a dead rubber against GWS.

Anger fades I'm more worried about people posting borderline suicidal things like us being on the lowest rung of the AFL or not being a good club because we gsve up a big lead in a dead rubber against GWS.

Fair to say, getting beaten by GWS who were missing probably 5 of their best 7-8 players, in Victoria was our worst effort for the season - at least in our bottom 3 efforts.

Does anyone dispute we aren't in the lower rungs of the clubs in the AFL after yesterday's performance? OK, we're not as bad as StKilda and Melb so maybe they're a rung lower than us but that's about it. At least right now. Next season is different though.

Can I pose a serious question!

Has Macca develop our young mids or are they just very very good young football players??

Can I pose a serious question!

Has Macca develop our young mids or are they just very very good young football players??

We can't possibly answer this question. It's loaded. My suspicions are that each coach has his 'wins' and 'loses' with different players but ultimately each coach is similar. I see no proof that Macca develops players any better than any other coach. Nor do I have proof that he's worse.

Less concerned with the way players develop than how they are handled. Macca has handled Stringer and Macrae, at the very least, exceptionally well this season.

We can't possibly answer this question. It's loaded. My suspicions are that each coach has his 'wins' and 'loses' with different players but ultimately each coach is similar. I see no proof that Macca develops players any better than any other coach. Nor do I have proof that he's worse.

No I agree and I'm not saying he isn't good or bad in this issue.

I just think that many using this as a positive for Maccas coaching are perhaps over stretching when this is nearly impossible to say one way or the other.

Less concerned with the way players develop than how they are handled. Macca has handled Stringer and Macrae, at the very least, exceptionally well this season.

And hasn't handled Talia Jones Smith Minson very well at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back