Autopsy Western Bulldogs 2023 season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot's of change needed.

Worried it's not going to happen and we'll be stuck in a rut under the current leadership at the club.

So let’s start from the top. After two years of reduced drafts due to JUH and Darcy do we hit the draft last year. No we go Lobb and lose picks. I would have hit the draft last year. This year we need change. Anyone see the pace on GWS.
Out Macrae and Daniel. Get whatever picks you can.
If we get an offer on Smith look at it.
We need a big reset of the list.
Target an established key defender, not another journey man.
Go to the draft or trade for good players not cheap as chips.

Once that’s done we need to bring some tactical nous into the box. Games like GWS in Ballarat good coaches just don’t lose. They would put a lose man in defence to stem the tide.

If we don’t go hard at trades and the draft we are going down further next year. There isn’t a lot coming through due to the drafts of JUH and Darcy. Other clubs have 10 kids pushing for spots. I can’t name 1 onballer. It’s dire straights unless we act.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I have never been one to leave a game or turn off the the game early but I have now.
I get no enjoyment out of watching them and wasn’t even looking forward to our games.
For gods sake please change!!
Same. It's a terrible feeling. I don't think I enjoyed watching a single game all season. Every week just felt like a massive chore and the players played like that as well. No energy, no fun, no inspiration.

If the club can't see that a massive change is needed then we'll be in the wilderness for a very long time. Everyone just feels so tired, starting right at the top.

Change is needed but not sure we have the correct people to in terms of footy iq to make the right changes.

The same people that gave Bev a 2 year extension are still there.

They need to go first actually should have already gone at 7 am this morning.

Stop giving 2 years deals to players who would bite your hand off for a week to week contract, I don’t care how low the annual salary is. And if you don’t have then balls to sack Bevo tell him to remove the pole from his butt and stop being such a misery guts. Inject some bloody life into the place and make the game fun again.

Grow some kahunas and drastically change the team.
Trade Baz. He quit on the team.

Think about trading up for Harley Reid to West Coast and our first rounder or brisbanes If we move on from Bevo. We need to make drastic changes. We need midfield improvement.

Grow some kahunas and drastically change the team.
Trade Baz. He quit on the team.

Think about trading up for Harley Reid to West Coast and our first rounder or brisbanes If we move on from Bevo. We need to make drastic changes. We need midfield improvement.
I’d do it, a first and 2nd at the moment is overs in my opinion for him. If he asks out he must go.

Ridiculous that Buss couldn’t get a game off Keath or Bruce for one round this season.

I don’t understand when you have two ageing KPDs next to an ageing Dureya why you wouldn’t give Buss a chance.

Why would Baz want out ? It cannot be midfield minutes I don’t buy that.

Just wants to reset? What is it ?
Whether it’s mental health or whatever. the kid seems to need a fresh start. He’s the instagram king of AFL and I think that has been terrible for him. Can’t seem to balance lack of form with expectations and spirals into a mess. I rarely like high draft picks leaving but I’d make an exception for Baz and just try again at the draft. Just as long as we get some decent currency for him. Could be something but I think he’s more likely to burn himself out early.

I've never wished my team to fail as much as I have today.

We fully deserved to be in the eight and then bumped out at the death. That's all we deserved after the s*** we rolled out this year.

I've never been so disinterested in a season in my life. We are a frustrating, irritating almost rage inducing side to watch. I get so fed up with watching us that there are times when I just switched off or just couldn't be a**** going to home games. I've never felt that in previous years.

I want to see change. Not superficial change, proper change. Time
for a new coach. Full clean out of the assistants. Chris Grant (love him as a player, but the decisions by the footy department have been inept, so time to go).

As for players, more than happy to trade out some big names. Get rid of the deadwood and the VFL/suburban standard players. Every other player to be put on notice. Perform next year or you're gone.

I don't even feel angry. I've already moved on from this season and want nothing to do with the club until proper change is made. I'll renew my membership, but I'll seriously consider downgrading significantly because I'm fed up. I don't like the way this team plays, the way it's coached, so much about this club right now.
My thoughts exactly but felt this way in 2022. I love the dogs and footy in general but rarely watch the dogs and prefer to watch sides with good systems and player buy in such as Hawks, Collingwood, Port and even GWS.

Dogs Board need to own their stuff ups and rectify the problems.... Coaching!

I’m expecting quite a drop in membership 2024 after the rubbish we produced this year. Unwatchable. Some players looked like they didn’t want to be there. We looked soft. Bevo looked defeated and not well.

Combined with the cost of rent, fuel…..well f’ing everything I think we will drop 5000 members at least (unless the membership team work out a better way of fleecing our cash without notifying us).

There are going to be 50 million story lines this season and it's hard to gather thoughts but purely from an analytical perspective English running out of steam - despite the support Lobb gave him throughout the year - is one of them.

From clearly being our best player through 10 rounds - examples of games include our R2 loss vs Saints when he was arguably best on ground despite losing by 9 goals, which is an effort - to getting beaten by a non-ruck factor in R24.

The lack of midfield depth after not having Dunkley this year. Libba dragged the stoppage game to a top 4, Bont did everything, but every other player who ran through the midfield this year was poor, especially compared to what they have produced in the past. Smith, Macrae the big culprits. Treloar was good in patches but his body and motivation mean he's not a 23 game, 85% time on ground player, and he probably won't even be as fit next year as he was this year. Daniel had to pinch in the middle for periods. West finally got midfield minutes R24, is he the future? If not, who? Lobb 2nd ruck, Naughton, Weightman and Jamarra improved the forward line and Jones improved the defence. So the midfield drop off was palpable, especially as English's early season form masked some of the lack of depth of the players at his feet.

You look at the success of surprising onballers, none better than Dawson at Adelaide, due to teams mixing it up when they don't make finals. Next year had to be a mindset shift in a similar vein. Weightman, Richards, hell someone like Scott on the ball? It's a hell of a lot better than hoping Bont can produce another top 5 season and Libba and Treloar can run it back at their age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous that Buss couldn’t get a game off Keath or Bruce for one round this season.

I don’t understand when you have two ageing KPDs next to an ageing Dureya why you wouldn’t give Buss a chance.

Not a knock on JOD because I think he showed plenty and will keep improving but how can a cat B rookie who has barely played in a few years get opportunities but a first round pick who showed improvement not get a debut in a team crying out for defenders?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why would Baz want out ? It cannot be midfield minutes I don’t buy that.

Just wants to reset? What is it ?

Personally I don't care if he goes. Made out to be some ultra professional but professionals don't sulk it up for as long as he has and if they want more midfield minutes they might actually work on improving their awful kicking skills. Another of the spoilt underperforming overpaid brats on our list that deserve to be given a rocket, made to feel uncomfortable and to have to play on edge.

Not a knock on JOD because I think he showed plenty and will keep improving but how can a cat B rookie who has barely played in a few years get opportunities but a first round pick who showed improvement not get a debut in a team crying out for defenders?

Busslinger is still a way off physically. He would have been brutally exposed in our AFL defence.

Totally agree.

JoD being such a success after a few games in the AFL surely would provoke Bevo to give Buss a few reps in A grade and let him develop in the AFL. Bizarre really

Totally agree.

JoD being such a success after a few games in the AFL surely would provoke Bevo to give Buss a few reps in A grade and let him develop in the AFL. Bizarre really
I would've liked Buss to get a game or two but they aren't really comparable. JOD is 2 years ahead physically and Buss is a skinny 18 year old coming off major shoulder surgery. I'm comfortable with him spending the year in VFL and allowing him to develop at his own pace.

Both Weightman and B Smith were disappointing this season, Smith was played out of position on many occasions and Weightman couldn’t build on his form. Enough has already been mentioned on Smith, I give his season a C-. Cody gets a C, although he kicked as many goals he needed to have more impact and scoring involvement.

English is a difficult one, his around the ground work was what put him in AA contention but his ruck work at bounces and stoppages let him down. His form towards the end of the year dropped. B+

JUH & Astro - C+. IMO their set shot kicking let them down

Terrible season and a waste.

We were within two kicks in the final quarter of every game after round two though. It means both that we squandered an opportunity, and that it might not take much to do a lot better next year.

Clear the deadwood we’ve accumulated, hit the draft and look for players who address our key needs (replenishing midfield and clever players forward of the centre). Put in a big preseason.

Last roll of the dice for Bevo. Happy to have him go at it with a fresh support team (which appears to be happening).

Might be time to move Bailey Dale onto the wing as well. The second the other team puts on arm on him he goes to water. Tries to bite off more than he can chew coming out of D50, would much rather he is trying those passes to our forwards.

Both Weightman and B Smith were disappointing this season, Smith was played out of position on many occasions and Weightman couldn’t build on his form. Enough has already been mentioned on Smith, I give his season a C-. Cody gets a C, although he kicked as many goals he needed to have more impact and scoring involvement.

English is a difficult one, his around the ground work was what put him in AA contention but his ruck work at bounces and stoppages let him down. His form towards the end of the year dropped. B+

JUH & Astro - C+. IMO their set shot kicking let them down
Cody for me is such a frustrating player. I’d love to know what his mandate for success is from the coaching staff. For me I don’t care about the big grabs and goals, I want forwards pressure 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The few times he stays down and doesn’t fly as the 7th man up he is always dangerous.

Because he wasn’t recovering from a shoulder reconstruction.

What I would like to see is some transparency.

I don’t feel part of the clubs inner circle in any way. We are largely kept in the dark about what our actual game plan is or what the expectations are for our players.

Tell us what type of role we are setting for Cody or B Smith.

Give us some idea about what we consider non negotiables for our players.

Tell us why we don’t tag.

Supporters have been shut off. While the media are pests they are also the conduit to supporters in many ways.

Running this clandestine Bevo paranoia campaign is totally disengaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back