Autopsy Western Bulldogs 2023 season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Very early days yet in the AFLW but if the performance continues then all three of our teams will,imo, face a review framed around “performance well below expectations “. I know the VFL had a great late run but the start and the finish was poor ditto the AFL team sadly.
(PS not claiming this as great insight)
Not buying it with the VFL team. Don't see a review as being any chance

Not buying it with the VFL team. Don't see a review as being any chance
Fair enough. But for me the primary role of the VFL team is to produce players developed enough to make meaningful contributions to the AFL side. Winning VFL games is secondary ( I know you didn’t say this, I am surmising). I don’t know if the Dogs still have a most improved player award but it would be a head scratcher for me this year. For that I mark down the VFL team.

Fair enough. But for me the primary role of the VFL team is to produce players developed enough to make meaningful contributions to the AFL side. Winning VFL games is secondary ( I know you didn’t say this, I am surmising). I don’t know if the Dogs still have a most improved player award but it would be a head scratcher for me this year. For that I mark down the VFL team.
Surely JUH takes that one home? Understand it doesn’t reflect on the VFL setup.

New season starts tomorrow 2023 is done

Watch us do * all and stumble into the new year
What are the dates for trade period this year? Unfortunately trading picks has a long as window, so we may be left hanging for weeks more before we know what our hand is.

What are the dates for trade period this year? Unfortunately trading picks has a long as window, so we may be left hanging for weeks more before we know what our hand is.
It's all here:

Me too and what's more Lipinski or Dunkley will end up with a premiership medal

Good on them I say, but don't get me wrong our handling of players is terrible
Hunter had significant off field issues

Dunkley wasn't much more we could do

Lipinski was only sub and will be playing more VFL next year and was moved to the exact role there he "hated" with us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldog end of season reveiw:

Explosion Reaction GIF

Lipinski was only sub and will be playing more VFL next year and was moved to the exact role there he "hated" with us

I wonder if Hunter's off field issues have gone away or Melbourne turns a blind eye to them or Melbourne have managed it better

Dunkley we could not keep and was gone once he requested a trade to Essendon.

Lipinski is a premiership player who has played approximately 40 games out of a possible say 50 games in the last two seasons in arguably the best side in the last two years. The games he has missed or the majority of them has been due to injury. Not sure that equates to him playing more VFL next year time will tell.

Not sure what his role was with us but he knows what his role is at the Pies and he plays well enough to have played the 40 games.

I wonder if Hunter's off field issues have gone away or Melbourne turns a blind eye to them or Melbourne have managed it better

Dunkley we could not keep and was gone once he requested a trade to Essendon.

Lipinski is a premiership player who has played approximately 40 games out of a possible say 50 games in the last two seasons in arguably the best side in the last two years. The games he has missed or the majority of them has been due to injury. Not sure that equates to him playing more VFL next year time will tell.

Not sure what his role was with us but he knows what his role is at the Pies and he plays well enough to have played the 40 games.
Melbournes coach has similar issues hence he's happy to turn a blind eye

Dunkley had no chance of being kept

Lipinski has been found out as being soft and slow hence he was sub and given guys like Adams and Noble missed out and they will have guys like Macrae continuing to improve he is more than likely out given he was only just in the team Saturday, He is playing half forward wing which is apparently the reason he left us

It's hard to know in his particular case.

Speaking generally, sometimes the change of environment is enough to make a bloke knuckle down. You have a new employer and new teammates and you don't (or shouldn't) feel like letting them down. So you work a bit harder and are more disciplined on the track, in games and off-field. At least for a while.

And sometimes blokes take until they are in their late 20s to get their sh*t together. I should know.

Lachie's 28.

It's hard to know in his particular case.

Speaking generally, sometimes the change of environment is enough to make a bloke knuckle down. You have a new employer and new teammates and you don't (or shouldn't) feel like letting them down. So you work a bit harder and are more disciplined on the track, in games and off-field. At least for a while.

And sometimes blokes take until they are in their late 20s to get their sh*t together. I should know.

Lachie's 28.
Supposedly there are a few at Melbourne with off field issues.

Yes, all every well documented

What are well doing wrong is the question

It’s up to the coach and club to create the right environment for players to come and stay

If we don’t do that what’s the point

Not going to quote everyone but I stand by the after game sprints stuff being absolutely unnecessary when you haven't come on as the sub. I'm also not going to pat a professional athlete on the back for putting in 'extra' work, especially when they are the ones pumping up their own tyres.
Often times young talented players do have an off year. I think this is what happened to him. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Lots of media pressure due to looks and overindulgence in social media surely did not help. May be it was the bad season that he had to have in order to improve. I like the BSmith, he can be frustrating with his kicking and over social media exposure, but I think he has a lot to offer still.

BS was effected by being outed in the white powder video, the abuse he cops from jealous opposition fans on social media is over the top. He has always been very open and candid about his mental health, and it seemed to deteriorate after these episodes.

A friend spotted him walking through St Kilda one day, and mentioned his behaviour was odd, he was trying to avoid people and looked very uncomfortable. Having a partner might help keep him feeling more secure, let’s hope so, only want to see him succeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back